question to perio/generalists who do sedations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

esclavo

from frying pan into fire
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am wondering what the anesthesia training is for a periodontist (residency training) and for GP's who have sedation licenses. I know about the anesthesia residencies offered at a few places in the country, and actually, I think they have very good training. At the ADSA meeting in Vegas, I met alot of Pedo's/GP's who went this route to get sedation licenses/privileges. My chief last year did one of these residencies for a year before getting into OMFS and he was kick butt in the anesthesia realm. Aside from this way of obtaining training, I want to know what an anesthesia experience is in Perio. Are there like weekend courses or online certifications available? I know this thread has the potential of getting ugly. I just want to know for my own knowledge.

Members don't see this ad.

Release the hounds!!!!!

I think the training is a week long course on a cruise ship.

Its right after the week long course in naples, florida on 3rd molar extractions.

I wonder if these classes is where the periodontist who sedated at my school learned. He wouldn't let us talk unless absolutely necessary during the procedure because we were "setting the mood" of the sedation.

I've since come to learn this "setting the mood" was code word for "we have to shut up so maybe the patient will sleep becuase I'm scared to give any more of this magic sleepy medicine because i don't know what will happen if I do."

We went through a whoppin 4mg of versed on that 2hr long flap and Sc & Rp.

One word. PROPOFOL!

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like a gay cruise.... And here I thought that in perio they sedated their patients by placing them into a coma by going on and on about the PDL, 2 wall defects and the history of the gums.

Where is the actual American Periodontists site where they would list the accredidation standards for residency. Maybe this site would satisfy my curiosity. Something that would say "...four months of anesthesia rotation functioning as a PGY1 anesthesiology resident..." or something to that effect. I tried surfing google for the website. No luck! Please help me my fellow "protectors of the attached gingiva"! I'm just a dumb OMFS resident struggling to find a simpe website.

if they did 4 months of pure anesthesia, that would cut into the time necessary for the study of instrument sharpening, and use of the periodontal probe.

Personally, I don't mind the idea of periodontists treating sedated patients... as long as its done by someone qualified... (A dental anesthesiologist, Nurse Anesthetist, MD Anesthesiologist, or Veterinarian!!)

I am an Air Force dentist and I just finished a 1-year AEGD residency. I am licensed to do conscious sedation. According to the ADA guidelines, one must have a minimum of 60 didactic hours and 20 supervised cases of sedation to apply for a license. My residency provided this for me. As all you OMFS residents are aware, there are multiple planes of sedation. I am limited to conscious sedation. Therefore the "magic" propofol is off-limits to me. In my residency, I worked cases where the attending OMFS would come in and load up the propofol, but then it became a "general" sed case and I could not count it as one of my observed sedations. We also spent 1 day a week during our OMFS rotations in the general anes room where the OMFS residents were the acting anesthesiologist while a staff OMFS removed 3rds. So I have seen propofol used many times and I agree that it is a great med but I personally would never use it b/c I have no formal training with it. I mostly use versed/fentanyl but I have used some valium/demerol as well (mostly older pts). Our didactic courses focused on the meds I mentioned, nothing really about propofol b/c it takes the pt deeper than I am trained to manage.

I truly value this training b/c it is an option I can now give my pts both now in the AF and later if I separate and enter private practice. I cannot speak for the perio residencies but their training may be along the same lines as mine. The purpose of the anesthesia training I recieved is very different than the anesthesia training of an OMFS. I can make pts tolerate an uncomfortable procedure when I do crown lengthening or remove 3rds. An OMFS, on the other hand, must have complete control over the full range of planes of sedation, hence the (much) more extensive training in anesthesiology. It would have been overkill for me to have spent 6 months of my 12 month residency in anesthesiology.