Question Question regarding the Medical Minority Applicant Registry, seeking opinions and guidance.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

astrolotl

Ask me about my neurodivergence :-)
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I hope you are having a beautiful day! I am hoping that someone may be able to help me identify the correct forum to post a thread. I am curious about the medical minority applicant registry, a program which allows for student applicant from disadvantaged backgrounds to identify as such and be reported to participating programs. My advocacy work has connected me with a few other neurodivergent current and soon-to-be applicants, and we want to ask the AAMC to expand the inclusion criteria for the Medical Minority Applicant Registry to include neurodivergencies associated with systemic challenges to education. I would like to hear from the members of the SDN community before I recommend to the group that we move forward with this.

Please help me find the best forum to place this. Thank you for your help and support! -J/Y

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone, I hope you are having a beautiful day! I am hoping that someone may be able to help me identify the correct forum to post a thread. I am curious about the medical minority applicant registry, a program which allows for student applicant from disadvantaged backgrounds to identify as such and be reported to participating programs. My advocacy work has connected me with a few other neurodivergent current and soon-to-be applicants, and we want to ask the AAMC to expand the inclusion criteria for the Medical Minority Applicant Registry to include neurodivergencies associated with systemic challenges to education. I would like to hear from the members of the SDN community before I recommend to the group that we move forward with this.

Please help me find the best forum to place this. Thank you for your help and support! -J/Y
Hi, welcome to SDN. Where are you currently in your education?
Much love and support
-jhmmd

Hi, welcome to SDN. Where are you currently in your education?
Much love and support
-jhmmd
I am not yet applying. I will be applying in about one to two years.

I am not yet applying. I will be applying in about one to two years.
Autistic Activist said:
we want to ask the AAMC to expand the inclusion criteria for the Medical Minority Applicant Registry to include neurodivergencies associated with systemic challenges to education.
Tread carefully here. The minority registry exists to help level the playing field--that is, to provide more opportunities to those who would not have had them otherwise. I think that in order to be included (as an autistic person), you would have to prove that you have not had the advantages that most applicants have had (low SES, poverty line, food stamps, SSI, etc.).

While I see your point (autistic people are mentally challenged and the journey to med school may be more difficult for them), it is difficult to prove that the challenges are due to systemic problems in education (i.e., racism, disadvantaged status, etc.). If you can find a way to prove that, more power to you, but I think that most people are going to find it a bit of a stretch.

Good luck with everything.

Reactions: 1 user