Question on research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

radian313

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Question: I am being offered a research fellow position (non paid) under the direction of a well known venue/physician team for a specialty I am pretty much set on. This will likely turn into a publishing opportunity. The problem is being a first year, that will be in between summer transitioning to second year, I am torn between wanting to study for boards and also not having funds to travel out for this. I can ofcourse ask my parents (which they will help out ofcourse), but I am trying to find a balance of being independent versus taking up on this.

Would you do this or not?

Members don't see this ad.

Lol why would you study for boards???? Enjoy your last summer

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,

Question: I am being offered a research fellow position (non paid) under the direction of a well known venue/physician team for a specialty I am pretty much set on. This will likely turn into a publishing opportunity. The problem is being a first year, that will be in between summer transitioning to second year, I am torn between wanting to study for boards and also not having funds to travel out for this. I can ofcourse ask my parents (which they will help out ofcourse), but I am trying to find a balance of being independent versus taking up on this.

Would you do this or not?
Congrats on being offered this opportunity. Is it clinical research or lab research?

When you say it will "likely turn into a publishing opportunity", who told you this? The PI? What conference are they planning to submit to?

How busy is this research opportunity? I would not stretch yourself too thin. If you're going to do research, fully commit to it. IMO it's too early to study for boards in the summer so intensely that you can't do a research project. If studying for boards is that important you can watch sketchy micro or boards and beyond which should eat up your time.

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats on being offered this opportunity. Is it clinical research or lab research?

When you say it will "likely turn into a publishing opportunity", who told you this? The PI? What conference are they planning to submit to?

How busy is this research opportunity? I would not stretch yourself too thin. If you're going to do research, fully commit to it. IMO it's too early to study for boards in the summer so intensely that you can't do a research project. If studying for boards is that important you can watch sketchy micro or boards and beyond which should eat up your time.

Thanks for your reply.
Without going into many details for obvious reasons, the physician who is going to be the PI treated me for a chronic illness. Ive done an observership with the team already last summer during my medical leave. We have a good working relationship. It is a clinical based research using patient data in a retrospective data to consider causative data and drawing conclusions from that. They submit primarily to their surgical specialty journal. Its a 9 to 5 gig. Ofcourse you are right, if I do this, it will be a full commitment.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for your reply.
Without going into many details for obvious reasons, the physician who is going to be the PI treated me for a chronic illness. Ive done an observership with the team already last summer during my medical leave. We have a good working relationship. It is a clinical based research using patient data in a retrospective data to consider causative data and drawing conclusions from that. They submit primarily to their surgical specialty journal. Its a 9 to 5 gig. Ofcourse you are right, if I do this, it will be a full commitment.
Sounds good. I would take it. Don't burn yourself out, if you want can study a little for boards after you get off but I personally wouldn't.

@AlteredScale @Goro

Thanks a lot. Appreciate your input. Sounds like I will be spending a summer there. Thankfully the institution has cheap housing where all the new residents/fellows stay so I get to live there at a fraction of a hotel's cost.