Question on HPSP Funding

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Utes

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is funding for the HPSP scholarship guaranteed for the 4 years (if that's what you were offered and accepted)? If not, what happens if it loses funding, do you still owe the full time?

The Air Force told me it was only guaranteed for 2 years, the Army told me they've never heard that and it will not lose funding. Just wondering if I'm worrying about nothing or if this is a legitimate thing to think about.

Utes

Members don't see this ad.

Utes said:
Is funding for the HPSP scholarship guaranteed for the 4 years (if that's what you were offered and accepted)? If not, what happens if it loses funding, do you still owe the full time?

The Air Force told me it was only guaranteed for 2 years, the Army told me they've never heard that and it will not lose funding. Just wondering if I'm worrying about nothing or if this is a legitimate thing to think about.

Utes

i would think the funding formula is not so much a "here's money to run the program for a year" but more of a "here is the appropriation to grant scholarships starting this fiscal year and support them over the term of the contract"

remember, even as you are signing the contract, whatever branch you are dealing with is signing a contract with you. my contract states very specifically what my obligations are as well as the obligations of the navy.

who knew my poli sci degree would actually be useful whilst in dental school!?