Question for the international students in Australlia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Manual

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Mind if I ask the normal question that everyone on here asks? What were your stats i.e GPA and MCAT score?

Members don't see this ad.

I had 4.0 GPA, with 40T MCAT score. Hehe, I'll never tell....

If you call they will tell you what you need to be competitive. 3.3(4pt scale) or higher is probably what they are looking for. They say 8s for the MCAT as a min. but are probably looking for 10s.

I'm imagining that you could be lacking in one area and make up for it with an interesting background. (ie. strange and wonderful research experience, humanitarian volunteering etc). Good luck.

Wow thanks go round to all the people, private messagers too.

As for me I am kind of new to the scene my GPA is low around 3.3 but that is all from my old Information Systems degree, I just started the premed stuf and am pulling A/B+ in the classes so in the end maybe I can bump it to a 3.4...As for MCAT who knows how I'll do.

I do volunteer at a hospital and also am going to be shadowing a really cool doc. Plus I am going to Haiti over my Christmas break to work in an emergency clinic, if it goes well more time will be spent there. Thanks again guys (or girls?)....

Originally posted by Manual
As for me I am kind of new to the scene my GPA is low around 3.3 but that is all from my old Information Systems degree, I just started the premed stuf and am pulling A/B+ in the classes so in the end maybe I can bump it to a 3.4...As for MCAT who knows how I'll do.

To get a slightly more accurate idea of where you stand with grades, calculate your weighted gpa by doing (1*2nd-year-gpa + 2*3rd-year-gpa + 3*4th-year-gpa)/6. There are all sorts of caveats, but that number will give you a more accurate indication than unweighted gpa at most the grad med schools.

Keep in mind that most (if not all) the grad programs in Aus. ONLY look at your first degree's grades, unless your first degree is 10+ years old. On the other hand, Flinders "unofficially" is interested in post-grad coursework (Tony Edwards at least accepts it and looks at it).

I do volunteer at a hospital and also am going to be shadowing a really cool doc. Plus I am going to Haiti over my Christmas break to work in an emergency clinic, if it goes well more time will be spent there. Thanks again guys (or girls?)....

Congrats on Haiti -- I was at Hopital Albert Schweitzer in Deschapelles (about half way up the country) for a couple months years ago. You'll want to stay longer if you can.

Also note that aside from milking the experience in your interviews, only Flinders even accepts a CV/resume for consideration.

-pitman