Question for paramedics that applied to med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zanadoo

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a fairly new paramedic applying to med schools for the first time this cycle coming up. I want to talk about paramedic school and the clinical hours in my experiences (probably most meaningful even), but was wondering how to put these hours. Obviously there was the didactic portion and clinicals. In my program, I did 860 clinical hours (600 ambulance 260 ED and specialities). As anyone who went to medic school knows these were real hours with lots of learning and doing and helping people. Can I call this community service? How did you all go about this? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Anything that is close enough to touch or smell a patient is clinical experience. I would reserve community service or volunteering for the things you ‘voluntarily’ did, ergo not compelled learning. Though on primaries this hardly matters as you should only enter your experience as a medic as one entry- clinical.

Anything that is close enough to touch or smell a patient is clinical experience. I would reserve community service or volunteering for the things you ‘voluntarily’ did, ergo not compelled learning. Though on primaries this hardly matters as you should only enter your experience as a medic as one entry- clinical.
Oh I see.. So just add the 860 to all my paid medic hours?

Oh I see.. So just add the 860 to all my paid medic hours?

Yea I can't remember what the category would be, but it should be clinical. Even if it's paid, I'd put it in a clinical category. And don't break up your training from when you worked, it's all one and the same. I don't think you can count compelled class time as volunteering considering it was an obligation for your program.