question about secondary essays

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredoc0307

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a little unsure about how to approach these essays. Should i treat them as a writing assignment, such as having an intro, thesis, body, conclusion? what about formatting, should i format my paragraphs in the textbox? or do i just start typing and answer the questions directly?

I am asking because I feel like some questions can be answered in way fewer words than the word limit provided. So like am i expected to fill in gaps to use up all of it? can the essay be much shorter than word limit? should i be philosophical or more personal when i answer these questions?

any tips or guidance would be appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

I am a little unsure about how to approach these essays. Should i treat them as a writing assignment, such as having an intro, thesis, body, conclusion? what about formatting, should i format my paragraphs in the textbox? or do i just start typing and answer the questions directly?

I am asking because I feel like some questions can be answered in way fewer words than the word limit provided. So like am i expected to fill in gaps to use up all of it? can the essay be much shorter than word limit? should i be philosophical or more personal when i answer these questions?

any tips or guidance would be appreciated

If you are usually philosophical in your writing assignments and are comfortable writing in that style, it's something that you can consider for a few questions. If this is your first time trying to take a philosophical approach, I don't think this is a good venue to practice in... I think one thing you can do is google some of the more common ones and see what the most common responses are and avoid those responses... adcoms are reading large piles of secondaries and we get kind of tired of seeing the same thing written over and over... something fresh and original goes a long way

Reactions: 1 user
1. It's OK to answer a question without capping out the word limit. Aim for at least 40-50% of the word limit as a minimum if you want a guideline.

2. answer the question directly.

3. forget any pre-built "structure" you may have learned in grade school. Like everything else in grade school, it was mostly BS. Most writing is good because it is succinct, clear, and honest. Following a template makes it easier for your writing to become the worst thing it could ever be short of sociopathic ranting: boring.

Reactions: 1 user