Question about job search and National Guard

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bayviewdoc314

Reaction score
I am a PGY-III in Psychiatry who is currently in the process of finishing up the process of joining the Army National Guard as a psychiatrist. In addition, I am also looking for my first job post residency and I had some questions.

Throughout my search, I have noticed that a position at a state facility has probably the best protections for guard members in terms of additional time off for drill/AT and differential pay in the event you are deployed. The VA also has good protections, but not as strong as my state.

For academic and private jobs, there appear to be less protections outside of just protected leave of absences for annual training and deployments.

My question would be would most people suggest working for feds/state over private/academics due to the protections? Are there things that you could negotiate into your contract regarding this and have people tried?

Thanks for any insight!

Members don't see this ad.

While they cannot legally discriminate against you for it, many employers might because it’s a hassle to have an employee randomly dissappear. You can’t get double paid by the VA but you do have time, some privarw places (kaiser?) I believe will double pay you for some time. I don’t like lying about guard status so I don’t but you are not legally required to disclose during hiring iirc

While they cannot legally discriminate against you for it, many employers might because it’s a hassle to have an employee randomly dissappear. You can’t get double paid by the VA but you do have time, some privarw places (kaiser?) I believe will double pay you for some time. I don’t like lying about guard status so I don’t but you are not legally required to disclose during hiring iirc

VA gives 3 weeks of paid military leave per year where you can double dip. You get more time if put on federal orders for deployment/mob.

VA is a pretty good gig if you are reserves or guard. State organizations are even better if you are in the guard for that state.

You are definitely right many private employers will not out right "discriminate" against you for being in the military, but they have ways of making you not feel wanted.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
VA gives 3 weeks of paid military leave per year where you can double dip. You get more time if put on federal orders for deployment/mob.

VA is a pretty good gig if you are reserves or guard. State organizations are even better if you are in the guard for that state.

You are definitely right many private employers will not out right "discriminate" against you for being in the military, but they have ways of making you not feel wanted.
I’m trying to proces s that with this....am I missing something?

Would you guys say that more of the people that are in your units work privately or for the government?

You can receive VA pay if you are VA employee and military pay at the same time, but you must either put in military leave, annual leave, or comp time (if you have it) for your timecard in the VA and then you would also get your military paycheck on top of it. You cannot use sick leave though and get paid by the VA and the military unless it's for a medical appointment for the military such as a periodic health assessment.

What the second article discusses is VA disability/pension benefits and military pay. You cannot receive both at the same time. So what happens is let's say you are 20% service connected through the VA and still in the reserves/guard. They take your yearly compensation you would be paid by VA disability and they subtract that out from your military pay for the year. What it basically means is you get a lower tax burden because VA disability is tax free income so while many view it as "drilling for free" or "reduced pay for drill" it really means you are getting the same pay check being subsidized by your VA disability with a lower taxable income for the year.

Reactions: 1 user
Would you guys say that more of the people that are in your units work privately or for the government?

It's really a mixed bag. When I was at my direct commissioning course several people worked in the VA or for large hospitals that were good to them (Kaiser is one that many folks on the west coast worked for and they seemed to be very military friendly). Others worked for university programs/hospitals and most were good to them.

The trouble is providers working for small group practices or private practices because those places cannot take the financial hit when someone gets deployed for 3-12 months.

You can receive VA pay if you are VA employee and military pay at the same time, but you must either put in military leave, annual leave, or comp time (if you have it) for your timecard in the VA and then you would also get your military paycheck on top of it. You cannot use sick leave though and get paid by the VA and the military unless it's for a medical appointment for the military such as a periodic health assessment.

What the second article discusses is VA disability/pension benefits and military pay. You cannot receive both at the same time. So what happens is let's say you are 20% service connected through the VA and still in the reserves/guard. They take your yearly compensation you would be paid by VA disability and they subtract that out from your military pay for the year. What it basically means is you get a lower tax burden because VA disability is tax free income so while many view it as "drilling for free" or "reduced pay for drill" it really means you are getting the same pay check being subsidized by your VA disability with a lower taxable income for the year.
Thank you for thw helpful explanation

Thanks for the responses guys! I think I will look mainly at government and academic jobs. If one was looking at private places, any idea of anything that could be negotiated for that would be beneficial?