Question about Critical Care

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iananaba

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently in a med-peds residency and am interested in critical care. My problem is it would be hard to specialize in med and pedi CC (different training modalities and all that). I had heard from an anesthesiologist that if you were double boarded in pediatrics and anesthesiology, you would be able to be certified to work in the PICU. Is this true? Also, does the same translate to adult CC? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure about the PICU. But I know that in order to apply to CC (adult), you just need to be boarded or board-eligible in IM.

Hope this helps!

You'll find some helpful information in this ongoing thread in pedi.

There may be a bit of confusion about terminology here. It is possible for an anesthesiologist or a pediatrics and anesthesia trained person to work in a PICU. The term "certified" usually implies board certification, but I think in this case it was meant by the anesthesiologist the OP spoke with to mean "credentialed", a very different concept. Board certification/eligibility in pediatric critical care medicine requires being board certified/eligible in pediatrics and completing a pediatric critical care fellowship, which may be combined with other training.