Quality of Life in Australia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sandor

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

This is an addendment to my original question:

Graduate Entry in Aussie Med Schools II

Which of the Aussie or NZ schools offers the best quality of life? I surf (mostly longboard) and free-dive/spear-fish. Well, not here in Budapest but in California---

(obviously subjective but please fire away...)

Which city is the best? For living expenses? Nightlife? Ocean accessibility and quality? Friendliness of people? Big fish to shoot and eat?

Thanks again,
-Sandor

Members don't see this ad.

I don't surf so i can't comment on that other than to aside in the immediate Adelaide area there is no surf to speak of for most of the year. But the cost of living is cheapest in Brisbane and Adelaide followed by Canberra then Melbourne and Sydney. The people are pretty friendly everywhere. in terms of the schools palces like Sydney have a reputation for being a little more formal than places like UQLD and Flinders... For night life I'd go for Sydney.
Hope this helps. Feel free to ask anything more.

Adelaide water is cold (wet suit a must), Brisbane's is nice except the city is an hour from the beaches, and Sydney is closer w/ water temp in between. A fair number at UQ (where I'm at) surf, at least occasionally.

I chose UQ because of the environment -- weather + attitude. Try to come to Oz during the application process (for interviews or shortly after) since only you will see how ultimately to weigh your priorities -- and I guarantee, no matter how much you hear, there will be some surprises once you set foot.

My own personal take on your list (rating the 3 cities where I interviewed):

living expenses: brisbane + adelaide (almost exactly the same cost-of-living index) followed by sydney (much more expensive but still cheaper than metro coastal US)

weather: brisbane, sydney, adelaide. although brisbane can get VERY hot and humid in summer. adelaide is pretty much a desert for most the year (i.e., dry, but quite green with parks all around despite this) and relatively cold in winter.

friendliness: brisbane, adelaide, sydney

big fish catch/tasty/sport: brisbane

nightlife: sydney, brisbane, adelaide (distant 3rd). In terms of access alone, sydney far ahead of brisbane, but imo the better attitude in brisbane makes up for some of that.

ocean accessibility: sydney, adelaide, brisbane.

ocean quality: brisbane, sydney, adelaide (or switch adelaide, sydney if adelaide colder water/weather is outweighed by less crowding)

-pitman

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't forget about Newcastle University.

Newcastle is on the coast and has some great beaches. A number of world-class surfers have come from Newcastle. There are many great beaches and breaks very close to the city.

Newcastle is about 1.5 - 2 hrs drive north of Sydney. It is a large regional city with all the ammenities you may need - nightlife, clubs, cafes etc. The people are friendly and a lot of fun.

I don't know a lot about fishing, but just north of Newcastle is Nelsons Bay. There are regularly deep water fising tournaments there, so it can't be too bad. Lots of 'regular' fishing in the bays, rivers etc as well.

Cost of living is much less than major capital cities, but may be more than smaller state capitals such as Adelaide.

(I'm from Newcastle and applying to Newcastle uni, if you couldn't tell :) )

Craig

UWA Perth

Beaches for miles
Warm water
cheap
lively
friendly
nightlife - awesome
the sunday session - tradition
chicks !!!

I thought we were asked about GRAD programs, guys.

-pitman

Although Newcastle is an undergraduate program, you can get in with an existing degree. This is exactly what I am doing since I want to go Newcastle and not just go for a grad program only because I have a degree.

This is not exactly what Sandor was asking about.....but I read that Australia is ranked #3 on the UN Human Development Index behind Norway and Denmark, Canada is 4th and the USA ranked 8th or 9th.

..not to mention nearly every major Australian city (Melbourne, Perth, Adelaide, Brisbane) is in the top 10 of The Economist's Hardship Index (poorly titled -- top refers to least 'hardship', defined by a host of economic, social, health, cultural, environmental and other quality-of-life factors).

-pitman

I just want to say, the person that suggested Perth nightlife is "awesome" probably hasnt been out of Perth :D

The place goes to sleep after 7pm - You see the odd tumbleweed blowing past Northbridge at midnight.

pitman said:
..not to mention nearly every major Australian city (Melbourne, Perth, Adelaide, Brisbane) is in the top 10 of The Economist's Hardship Index (poorly titled -- top refers to least 'hardship', defined by a host of economic, social, health, cultural, environmental and other quality-of-life factors).

-pitman

And Melbourne was voted one of the best cities in the world.

Hey red.

Yeah, Melbourne was #1 on that list (tied with Vancouver, my fav N. American city), and often gets #1 on other quality of living lists. Interestingly, while Sydney is usu. near the bottom of the Aus. cities among such lists (albeit usually pretty high up compared to the rest of the world), it gets #1 on various travel polls (I think Frommer's is one?).

redshifteffect said:
And Melbourne was voted one of the best cities in the world.

pitman said:
Hey red.

Yeah, Melbourne was #1 on that list (tied with Vancouver, my fav N. American city), and often gets #1 on other quality of living lists. Interestingly, while Sydney is usu. near the bottom of the Aus. cities among such lists (albeit usually pretty high up compared to the rest of the world), it gets #1 on various travel polls (I think Frommer's is one?).

Hey Pitman!

How's your first year been going?

craig_rt said:
Although Newcastle is an undergraduate program, you can get in with an existing degree. This is exactly what I am doing since I want to go Newcastle and not just go for a grad program only because I have a degree.

Hey! I'm from the US, but I studied abroad in Australia and attended Newcastle Uni. It was such an amazing experience - loved the people, loved the school and definitely hope to go back someday. The city of Newcastle was fantastic as well - the nightlife was great for the city's size and the beaches were perfect! God, I miss Australia!!! :) :) :)

Perth would definatly be right up there now that there are graduate entry programs at UWA and University of Notre Dame (the only private university in Australia).

Main advantage of Perth is it's a lot less busy than places like Sydney and Melbourne (less traffic, etc) and the cost of living is quite low. Lots of beaches and stuff if your into that. I lived in Northbridge for a while and the night life is a lot better than many people think.. but its true that its not as good as Sydney/Melbourne. Perth is also a very attractive city. Always bright and the people are very friendly.

Sydney is a nice city to visit.. but a tough one to live in. The main reason being it is tres expensive! Everything from housing to public transport is very pricey.

Brisbane is similar in terms of cost of living to Perth, and theres alot a lot of great beaches and stuff. My main problem with Brisbane is the weather.. its very hot and very humid in summer. I have lived in Aus. all my life, and I couldn't handel the heat in Brisbane for a week!

Melbourne is a city that a lot of people love.. lots to do there. Also very expensive. I find Melbourne to be a 'depressing' city tho. Its very unattractive, has unpredictable and depressing weather. The shopping is great tho :)

I don't know anything about the other cities!

-Phil