Qs about Navy and AF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NewFish

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am new in the forum and have few questions regarding Navy and AF.
Both I and my wife are practicing general dentists, we are thinking about joining either Navy or AF.
I looked into the salary chart on their website but it was bit confusing.

1.How's base salary for general dentist?
2.For how long do we have to be in active duty?
3.Does base salary include housing and food?
4.Can we work at the same base?

Thank you guys in advance!:)

Members don't see this ad.

The exact base salary can be found here: http://www.dfas.mil/navy2/militarypaycharts/2007WebPayTable.pdf
expect ~$3300/month unless you have prior service
Depends on the scholarship length, but at minimum 3 years, and max is 4 years if you take HPSP for all 4 years.
No, you get housing and food allowance separately. They are called to BAH (Basic Allowance for Housing)and BAS(Basic Allowance for subsistence) . If you're stationed abroad, the BAH can also be called OHA(Overseas housing allowance). The amount also varies based on your geographical location. Figure around $1500-2000 for LT's BAH.
Sort of. The detailer will likely accommodate your needs. I know a few couples who live together, but one is on a ship while the other is on shore. I also know another couple who work together in the same clinic. There are also limited openings for civilian dentists in the Navy.

Also, in addition to the basic salary, as a general dentist, you'll be entitled to ASP,and VSP. ASP is annual specialty pay and VSP is variable specialty pay, paid monthly. You're looking at $4000 before taxes your first two years and it jumps to $6000 in your third year. ISP is also there, but it's only being offered to OMFS for now.

There is also COLA (cost of living allowance) if you get stationed abroad as well. It's a nice chunk of change.

The exact base salary can be found here: http://www.dfas.mil/navy2/militarypaycharts/2007WebPayTable.pdf
Depends on the scholarship length, but at minimum 3 years, and max is 4 years if you take HPSP for all 4 years.
No, you get housing and food allowance separately. They are called to BAH (Basic Allowance for Housing)and BAS(Basic Allowance for subsistence) . If you're stationed abroad, the BAH can also be called OHA(Overseas housing allowance). The amount also varies based on your geographical location. Figure around $1500-2000 for LT's BAH.
Sort of. The detailer will likely accommodate your needs. I know a few couples who live together, but one is on a ship while the other is on shore. I also know another couple who work together in the same clinic. There are also limited openings for civilian dentists in the Navy.

Also, in addition to the basic salary, as a general dentist, you'll be entitled to ASP,and VSP. ASP is annual specialty pay and VSP is variable specialty pay, paid monthly. You're looking at $4000 before taxes your first two years and it jumps to $6000 in your third year. ISP is also there, but it's only being offered to OMFS for now.

There is also COLA (cost of living allowance) if you get stationed abroad as well. It's a nice chunk of change.

wait wait...i was under the impression that GP's dont get any type of specialty pay. I remember asking my recruiter (my first mistake i know) and he told me that general dentists dont get any special pay. What's the deal?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your promt responses.

This next question might sound silly...

1. Is there physical requirement?

The reason I'm asking is that my wife is not the fittest person in the world; not that she is sick or anything, but it kinda make me smile, imagining her trying to do push-ups or pull-ups for that matter:laugh:

And we want to be stationed in overseas, like in Korea, Japan or Europe. So basically, there's no guarantee that we'll be stationed in the same base, but they'll try to accomodate. My next question is then, assuming that we're stationed in the same base,

2. Are we likely to be stationed there for the entire duty period (i.e. say 3 years) or are we most likely to be moved to elsewhere periodically?

Again, thank you in advance.

A couple of things to add. Depending on how long you have been in private practice, your time as a dentist may count as rank. Some people coming in to the military as dentists may enter as O-4's or even O-5's. The $3300/month applies to O-3s with less than two years of service. You would have to ask if you qualify to enter at a higher rank. Some BAH's are much lower. I have yet to get more than $1100/month at any base. Remember this is variable on the cost of living where you are stationed.

2. You will qualify for some additional pay. For example maybe the VSP. It is $250/month for less than 3 years of service. I am not sure about ASP. This may or may not depend on if you have done a residency. Your recruiter may have to look into this. I can only speak of bonuses for residency trained general dentists.

Remember, Recruiters don't have all the answers. If he/she doesn't know, make them find out and not guess. Use the fact you want to be stationed together as the ace up your sleeve. AF and Navy both need dentists bad. If they want you bad enough they will accommodate your desires to be stationed together. You may be able to ask for your assignment before signing on the dotted line. I know someone who gave a list of bases and said she would only go to those bases or she wouldn't join. If you really press the issue, it will probably happen. They make a lot of concessions for people coming in as "direct accessions". They don't give many to people they have already got. We generally get the shaft so new people get what they want.

BAH's vary depending on location, rank and marital status. I don't know Snozberries, but if he/she has never received more than $1100/mo in BAH, it is safe to assume he/she is not married. I have not made less than $1100/mo since I was an Ensign (O-1) and this is living in Pensacola, FL, Bremerton, WA, and Houston, TX. There are some places as an O-3 that you can make less than $1100/mo married, but those are the more undesirable holes in the wall places where cost of living is cheap. Then there are places where tons of people live - chicago, new york city, boston, la, san diego, san fran, etc. and you will get over $2000/mo. It all depends on location, rank and married or not.

Ah, the difference b/w the AF and Navy. All that nice ocean front property to buy/rent. I would kill for a nice ocean side base. I am married and an O-3 and still haven't got BAH over $1100. Realize, a lot of AF bases are VERY secluded in "less desirable places". I get $950/month right now, and trust me we are secluded. The base definitely isn't a "hole in the wall" but it is very rural with a low cost of living. My next assignment is in California where my BAH will be >$2000/month.

Are "BHA" and "BAS" 2 different allowances? or are they the same thing just with two different names?

I'm trying to calculate an AVERAGE annual pay (including housing allowances, etc.) that an incoming dentist (after completeing dental school with the HPSP)would receive.

3300/mo salary = 39600/yr
1100/mo BAH = 13200/yr
250/mo VSP = 3000/yr (i don't know if this is even something an incoming dentist with the HPSP would receive)

with a total so far of 55800/yr

any thing i'm missing in regards to raw pay, not including things such as "access to such an such facilities" ???

could anyone do a break down of each pay with a grand total of what you could expect to receive as an incoming dentist through the HPSP?

thanks in advance.

Thank you for your promt responses.

This next question might sound silly...

1. Is there physical requirement?

The reason I'm asking is that my wife is not the fittest person in the world; not that she is sick or anything, but it kinda make me smile, imagining her trying to do push-ups or pull-ups for that matter:laugh:

And we want to be stationed in overseas, like in Korea, Japan or Europe. So basically, there's no guarantee that we'll be stationed in the same base, but they'll try to accomodate. My next question is then, assuming that we're stationed in the same base,

2. Are we likely to be stationed there for the entire duty period (i.e. say 3 years) or are we most likely to be moved to elsewhere periodically?

Again, thank you in advance.

Don't think living in Korea would all fun and games.

My BAH is good, but once i get married i belive i'll get extra BAH. And i do get VSP

Are "BHA" and "BAS" 2 different allowances? or are they the same thing just with two different names?

I'm trying to calculate an AVERAGE annual pay (including housing allowances, etc.) that an incoming dentist (after completeing dental school with the HPSP)would receive.

1100/mo BAH = 13200/yr
250/mo VSP = 3000/yr (i don't know if this is even something an incoming dentist with the HPSP would receive)

any thing i'm missing in regards to raw pay, not including things such as "access to such an such facilities" ???

could anyone do a break down of each pay with a grand total of what you could expect to receive as an incoming dentist through the HPSP?

thanks in advance.

Don't forget the $4000/year bonus for being a breathing dentist. Yes you do get the $250/month.

BAH is for housing, BAS is for food. All officers get the same BAS. It is around $197/month

1100/mo BAH = 13200/yr

thanks in advance.

What about:

BCP (Board Certified Pay)= $2500-$6000

ASP (Additional Specialty Pay)= $4000-$15000

MRB (Multiyear Special Pay)= $3000-$14000

CSB (Critical Skills Bonus)= $8000-$50000

ah the neverending "how much do we make" question haha. I think i'm at the point where I'll just find out once I graduate dschool.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am in my third year of service. Here is a hard core figure to give you an idea. Excluding the amount the AF paid in student loans, I made about $65K last year. I will not submit an itemized account because I feel lazy today.

I understand how you got that figure, but I think the numbers might be different depending on the branch. As we saw with the 20K HPSP bonus, don't the different branches offer different incentives? I am assuming since the AF is meeting all their recruitment goals, then they really don't need to give additional bonuses like CSB, which should bring the total amount to around 72K-74K for an HPSP student and around 80K for an HSCP student (who will have 4 yrs of active service by graduation time).

At any rate, the key phrase is the amount paid in student loans. I just don't understand why so many people think it is going to be relatively easy to pay off student loans quickly without outside help. Even if you are making 120K, the taxes are going to eliminate a great deal from your take home pay and subsequently how much can be used to payoff student loans.

I don't know what CSB is, but I am pretty sure that all of our salaries are set by DOD, not each branch. This is why the VSP, loan repayment, board pay, ISP (for OMS),and multi-year retention bonus are all increasing. The AF IS meeting its goals, that is why they (Air Staff at the Pentagon)arn't big on giving us more money. The Army and Navy want to give more $ to get more people. If the Army and Navy do it, the the AF has to.

I understand what you are saying, but the beginning salary for a Navy dentist would be a little bit higher with the CSB. Also, the beginning salary for an HSCP student (Navy only) would be higher than any HPSP in any branch because they would have 4 yrs of active service by the time they graduate.

All that aside, you are correct about the DOD figures.

I understand what you are saying, but the beginning salary for a Navy dentist would be a little bit higher with the CSB. Also, the beginning salary for an HSCP student (Navy only) would be higher than any HPSP in any branch because they would have 4 yrs of active service by the time they graduate.

All that aside, you are correct about the DOD figures.

The CSRB (critical skills retention bonus) is ONLY available if you sign on for additional years of service. If you owe time from HPSP or HSCP and sign the paperwork for CSRB, you will incur more time in service. CSRB is NOT given to everyone. I know this for a fact because none of my colleagues are receiving the CSRB. As a licensed dentist in the Navy still serving the initial obligated service, you will receive the VSP and ASP. And Snozzberries is very correct in that AF dental corps is doing very well. There is no critical incentive at AF, I suppose. It was also rumored that AF guys also received additional pay for having done a GPR or an AEGD. Snozzberries, please clarify if this "myth" is true.

So, I hate to bring you the bad news here, but unless you sign on for more years, you will NOT see that CSRB. There is also HPLRP (health professions loan repayment program), but you will need to complete your initial obligated service first as well. You can contact the reps at BUMED to verify if you don't want to take my word for it. They're the ones who briefed me and other JOs at a meeting very recently.

NAVY DDS 2010 (hope you don't mind the reference) would earn significantly more as a new dental corps officer since he has served as an officer before. All that time served as an officer would count toward that basic pay. He's gonna be one of the richest LTs coming out of dental school. Not only that, as far as I know, he'll get promoted to LCDR faster, too.

The CSRB (critical skills retention bonus) is ONLY available if you sign on for additional years of service. If you owe time from HPSP or HSCP and sign the paperwork for CSRB, you will incur more time in service. CSRB is NOT given to everyone. I know this for a fact because none of my colleagues are receiving the CSRB. As a licensed dentist in the Navy still serving the initial obligated service, you will receive the VSP and ASP. And Snozzberries is very correct in that AF dental corps is doing very well. There is no critical incentive at AF, I suppose. It was also rumored that AF guys also received additional pay for having done a GPR or an AEGD. Snozzberries, please clarify if this "myth" is true.

So, I hate to bring you the bad news here, but unless you sign on for more years, you will NOT see that CSRB. There is also HPLRP (health professions loan repayment program), but you will need to complete your initial obligated service first as well. You can contact the reps at BUMED to verify if you don't want to take my word for it. They're the ones who briefed me and other JOs at a meeting very recently.

NAVY DDS 2010 (hope you don't mind the reference) would earn significantly more as a new dental corps officer since he has served as an officer before. All that time served as an officer would count toward that basic pay. He's gonna be one of the richest LTs coming out of dental school. Not only that, as far as I know, he'll get promoted to LCDR faster, too.

You are not the bearer of bad news. This is for clarification and is not a pissing contest. I don't piss standing anyway. Outside of that reference, the data serves well here. In all, I still think the HSCP (Navy only) is probably the better program of all them long term.

So what you call a CSB is the same as a multi-year rention bonus, correct?

Your HCSP is like being an enlisted airman, getting accepted into dental school, and having the AF pay for it? OR like being an O-1 or O-2, getting accepted into dental school and being paid as an enlisted person during dental school?

If these are true, then it sounds like we all have the same programs, just different names. That's what I figured.

It's like you guys getting sea pay or us getting flight pay. As I stated earlier, I am pretty sure since we are all under DOD, we all get the same depending on rank, years of service, location, etc.

I think this is all good info. I like learning about other services and what they are like. I know MaxAnn that it is not a pissing contest. Just so you all know, I can pee over 20 yds, so don't mess with me!!!!

Wow, I try to post some accurate info and I'm accused of getting into a pissing contest. :laugh:

Anyway, HPSP vs HSCP decision really depends on where you go to school. I think Navy DDS 2010 posted some great info from his perspective. Whereas taking HSCP at a state school could be a great deal, doing that at NYU will put you in some serious dept. My $.02. BTW, I piss standing.

Your HCSP is like being an enlisted airman, getting accepted into dental school, and having the AF pay for it? OR like being an O-1 or O-2, getting accepted into dental school and being paid as an enlisted person during dental school?
HSCP is like having AF pay you as an enlisted airman, E6 or E7, with all the active duty benefits (BAH, BAS, Tricare, etc) and your station is at a dental school. But the catch is that AF won't pay for your tuition directly; you have to use your salary to pay for it. In contrast, HPSP pays you stipend and the school tuition and there is no cap on the school tuition.
HSCP candidates can't go to officer school before they graduate from dental school because technically, they are enlisted, not O-1 or O-2. The 4 years of dental school also counts toward to active service time. I hope this help.

I just tried it. I pissed up-hill, into the wind, no handed, on one foot over 28 feet. My previous post was down hill.

I hope this clears up all pay questions.

Guys, I apologize for the pissing contest statement. It was out of line. I do think the info was great for clarification and productive.