Q about PCAT BIO part (classification)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wendy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am wondernig if classification is realli an important thing to study? Is Kaplan's review guide good enough or do I have to dig up my old bio textbook and remember names for family and subfamilies??

Members don't see this ad.

I think Kaplans was good enough (remember that King Phillip thing, though). The bio portion really focuses on human biology. I think the one thing I didn't like about the Kaplan book was that it went too far into detail-no need to memorize neurotransmitters, etc, just basic body systems and basic bio info. I finished the bio section in about 10-15 minutes and had more than enough time to check it, etc.

adventurer said:
no need to memorize neurotransmitters, etc.

I can not recall exactly the question, but there actually was a neurotransmitter question on the Nov 2004 test. I believe in regard to how muscles move.

yeah, i agree with above, there have been some kinda random questions on recent biology pcat sections (i took october 2004.) i actually had about 3 questions on PLANT biology.

i remember one was something like "what is the name of the symbiotic relationship between plant roots and soil bacterial or other organisms?"

the answer is myocorrizae (i butchered the spelling!) i only know that because i'm a *hardcore* biology nerd, and i absorbed every word in my bio 117 class (second-semester pre-health sciences biology, it was half plant and half animal physiology and such.) they're these nifty little nodules on plant roots in nutrient-poor soil. plant biology is so much fun!

but yeah... as far as prepping for pcat bio... i've only taken it once, so from what i've seen i'd say focus on human biology, but expect anything.

Members don't see this ad :)
How did that king philip thing go again? I try to stay away from mnemonics... I have a friend who has mnemonics for his mnemonics... :laugh:

Avicenna04 said:
How did that king philip thing go again? I try to stay away from mnemonics... I have a friend who has mnemonics for his mnemonics... :laugh:

Kingdom
Phylum
class
order
family
genus
species

King Philip came over for good sex or
King Philip Called Out Fifty Good Soldiers

mnemonics site

jemc2000 said:
Kingdom
Phylum
class
order
family
genus
species

King Philip came over for good sex or
King Philip Called Out Fifty Good Soldiers

mnemonics site

I used: Please come over for gay sex. I could remember the K.

Yikes! What a mnemonic! We were taught "Kings Play Chess On Fine Grain Sand". I don't remember needing this information on the November exam. There WAS a neurotransmitter question on the test.