Putting post bac behind

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

willl3

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to get into the medical field and make money at the same time as I go to school. I can't afford to go to post bac when I have rent and bills to pay and work. Is there any other way?
Help!

Members don't see this ad.

Ok I am going to start my premed classes with cal 1 that's it to see if I can become a doctor. I have so many expenses and no good job anyone working there way through post bac?

What a lot of people do is become a research assistant. It looks good on apps, pays the bills, you can usually take 1-2 classes at the same time (if they happen to be at night, like Harvard's post-bacc), and if affiliated with a hospital, your tuition might be covered--for example, the hospital that I'm affiliated with, they pay $2000 towards classes per year for their employees.

good luck!

Amy

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by amy@vandy
What a lot of people do is become a research assistant. It looks good on apps, pays the bills, you can usually take 1-2 classes at the same time (if they happen to be at night, like Harvard's post-bacc), and if affiliated with a hospital, your tuition might be covered--for example, the hospital that I'm affiliated with, they pay $2000 towards classes per year for their employees.

good luck!

Amy

Same here...I'm also a research assistant and the hospital where I'm employed gives $4000 per year for tuition reinbursement. I have a lot of "down time" at work so finding time to study isn't really a problem.

Does it pay the bills? life I need to make 1800 a month to cover all my expenses. How do I get a research assistant job. Is is hard?

Willl3

How does one acquire these research assistant jobs? Must one have extensive exposure to science course in order to be a research assistant? Also, what is consider good research? Can the research be social science research?

PhillyGrrl: How did you find your research assistant job and which hospital are you working at?

Thanks! :D

I found my job on CareerBuilder.com. It's important to search using every method possible: newspaper, careerbuilder.com, monster.com, the website of individual hospitals, etc. It does pay the bills, but since I have an entry-level position I'm not able to save as much as I would like.

Scota,

I wouldn't say I had extensive exposure to science. All of my undergrad research was in the social sciences. I do clinical research and our office is located in the ED, so I'm never in the lab. Every once in a while I have to make a couple of slides with the blood drawn from patients, but other than that I do a lot of paperwork (obtaining informed consent, etc.) and patient contact. If you want to work in a lab, then you probably would need a lot of experience in the natural sciences.

Harrypotter,

I sent you a PM.