Publications B4 Med School: Props For Residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Moola

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a medical student applying for a competitive field. I have 2 publications (3rd and 11th author...lol) before medical school in basic science with no relation to my field of choice. Will this count for something at all with program directors?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd love to know the answer to that as well.

Moola said:
I am a medical student applying for a competitive field. I have 2 publications (3rd and 11th author...lol) before medical school in basic science with no relation to my field of choice. Will this count for something at all with program directors?
I have worked with a number of docs on (academic, not community-based) resident selection boards. For one, they have said that you can list pre-med-school activities on your ERAS. Things like publications are on your resume, so they stick with you for forever. Secondly, if they were in the desired field, that'd be good, but more than anything, they are proof that you can do quality scientific research (as much as 11th and 3rd author on any paper will show).

Like anything on your resume, be able to speak about them intelligently to interviewers.

research is the gift that keeps giving