Ptcb

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cystapharm

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some people have taken the PTCB and passed without having any prior studies in pharm tech. How did you guys do it? Did you just memorize the list of top 200 drugs and study off of review books at the bookstore? Because if it is that easy, why are people paying thousands of dollars to take pharm tech classes at Bryman college and such? What are some ways to pass the exam without having to take classes?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know where you're from, but here in CA, you don't need to take those pharm tech classes to get a tech license. There's just like a $200 fee, and you get to take the certification test 3 times within the year, but they only offer it maybe 3-4 times a year. I know now that pharm tech school ranges from $7000-$9000, and i think it's a big waste of money. You just need a good pharm tech textbook and study for about 2 weeks and you'll do fine. It's just memorizing drugs and conversions....pretty simple stuff i think if you put the time into it yourself, rather than paying a rediculous amount of money...

Honestly, the pharmacy tech test is an intended milestone for high school graduates who will never make it in college. For those kind of people, thousands of dollars for classes may help them out tremendously. But for those of us that are using the pharmacy tech test to gain experience prior to pharmacy school, the classes are a waste of time and a joke.

Simply put, you can teach yourself the material in a week or two and be ready for the test (that's if you are intending to go to pharmacy school). Also, if you have experience in the pharmacy prior to taking the exam, there is even less that you have to study.

Conversions, simple brand/generic and uses for common drugs, and pharmacy procedure type of questions are asked. It is not rocket science, and anyone that tells you it is difficult should not be at your level of understanding. There are many techs who are applying to pharmacy school, but there are a lot more techs that are happy just to be a tech and found that PTCB test a challenge. Which one are you?

I don't know where you're from, but here in CA, you don't need to take those pharm tech classes to get a tech license. There's just like a $200 fee, and you get to take the certification test 3 times within the year, but they only offer it maybe 3-4 times a year. I know now that pharm tech school ranges from $7000-$9000, and i think it's a big waste of money. You just need a good pharm tech textbook and study for about 2 weeks and you'll do fine. It's just memorizing drugs and conversions....pretty simple stuff i think if you put the time into it yourself, rather than paying a rediculous amount of money...

that's really interesting. what is the formal process to register for the test without having to take the courses? are there any other requirements I should be aware of? thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
that's really interesting. what is the formal process to register for the test without having to take the courses? are there any other requirements I should be aware of? thanks!

Just go to PTCB.org and they should have instructions for you to register for a testing date. The website will also have information regarding other requirements such as age, criminal background, citizenship status, etc.

Pharmacy technician courses are definitely NOT a requirement to take the PTCB test. However, they will better prepare you for the test and will also prepare you to be a more versatile and marketable pharmacy technician.

Tech classes include training in various pharmacy settings including IV preparation, asceptic technique, etc - skills not required to work at a community pharmacy. A lot of hospital pharmacies require formal training in such areas and often recruit pharmacy technician graduates from vocational schools (Bryman etc.).

I passed the PTCB test last year and did it without a book. I just joined a free Yahoo! group (Jeanetta's Pharmtech group) which provided me with a wealth of information to pass the test. Don't worry too much, you will do fine!

The test is ludicrously easy. I didn't even know the drugs and I still passed with a comfortable margin. Most of the questions are simple math problems, for which you only need to be able to do high school algebra and know the conversions from old-fashioned measuring systems to metric.

MY study book...PTCB Quick-Study Guide..doesn't really go into big detail about medicine types and stuff..is this a problem?

Moved to Pharmacy licensure and exams since PTCE is pharmacy tech exam and in some states required for licensure as a tech.

Also enjoy other threads on same topic while you're here.

what!!!!!:eek: you get to take it 3 times, i live in so-cal and you can only take it once. If you go to the ptcb.org it says that you take the test 1 times per $129............

"The Pharmacy Technician Certification Examination may be taken by eligible candidates as many times as needed to earn a passing score. A new application including appropriate documentation and $129 in fees must be submitted each time to Professional Examination Service. No candidate may take the PTCE twice within the same testing window. Applications are available by contacting PTCB or from your state pharmacy organization. Candidates may also apply online." -(https://www.ptcb.org/Content/NavigationMenu/PTCBExam/ExamInformation/Exam_Results.htm)