This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jclinical723

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all -

I'm not sure if I'm posting this to the right forum because I've never posted before... I was just accepted to the psych. in education (clinical psych.) MA program at Teacher's college at Columbia U. I have heard mixed reviews on this program and wondered if anyone here could share opinions - especially if you are at Columbia right now!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I know a few people who attended that program prior to applying for PhD/PsyD clinical programs. They seem pretty happy with the training they received there. I was accepted there myself (although I did not attend). I experience the program as a bit bloated and as a cash cow for Columbia University. I feel that they take advantage of students who are desperately seeking to enter a graduate level program and are dazzled by the Ivy League name. I'd recommend that you wait another application cycle and focus on bolstering your credentials.

I generally second this. I was also accepted to an master's program at Columbia TC and although the training seemed fine, it was just too expensive for what it was (even with the assistantship they offered). If you want to do a master's degree, I would recommend researching comparable programs at other (read: cheaper) institutions.

Reactions: 1 user
I attended that TC program. It was the right fit for me but it was very expensive and the comments above are accurate. I was happy with the mentorship I received, the research experience I gathered, and the courses I attended .... my GRE scores were not great and this was a great way to beef up my application. But I have to deal with the student debt now (granted my PhD program was funded). I did try to find myself a research position for a year or two instead of TC but was not successful so I went with the TC route. If you have other (and cheaper!!) options I would seriously consider those instead.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I really appreciate your feedback as a former student. I hoped that my impression was not overly negative and/or biased.
Not at all! I thought your response was accurate - it is an expensive decision to make. I do think it was the right one for me based on my circumstances at the time but I don't know if I would have made the same decision now. I would definitely consider other options if possible before committing to TCs financial burden.

Reactions: 1 users
I really appreciate your feedback as a former student. I hoped that my impression was not overly negative and/or biased.
I appreciate everyone's feedback thus far! Negative comments also help with making a decision :)

Don't do it.
It doesn't lead to licensure, you'll be spending or borrowing a giant sum of money and not have enough time for doing research which you need to do if you want to get into phd. Go to a counseling program if you must get a Masters.

Reactions: 1 user