Psychiatrist Working With a Psychologist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DukeDevils9192

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was curious if there were any private practices out there which consisted of a psychiatrist and a psychologist who work with some of the same patients and refer each other to those patients depending on what they need (perhaps a depressed person needs medication and extensive therapy). Would this be considered a good business move for the two doctors?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I'm no expert, but from what I know there are many such practices out there. The ones I have seen usually have one psychiatrist and 2-3 psychologists/therapists/social workers performing therapy. They refer patients to each other and sometimes work within the same office structure. They may also keep a psychologist on who does psychological testing.

"Would this be considered a good business move for the two doctors?"
First of all, a psychologist is not a medical doctor-he or she might be a PhD(no offence meant)
Traditionally, psychiatry works in a group model-psychaitrist is seen as a coordinator and/or team leader between different mental health professionals- SW/psychologist/MHN/various therapist. So interaction/cooperation is a must, particulary so in child psych.
However referral does not work out that way-depends on third-party paying/level of expertise etc. Sometimes, field of expertise(e.g. neuropsych) limits referral.
Hope this helps.:)

Members don't see this ad :)
People with PhDs are referred to as "Dr." Get off your high horse, dude.

Actually, I have seen places where the psychiatrist is the team coordinator and place where the psychologist is the team coordinator. It depends on the setting and who began the pratice if its a private practice. Hospitals/University medical centers favor psychiatrists and Universities/Colleges favor psychologists. It can also depend on where the emphasis is in the group practice. Though there are almost always more therapists, perhaps of differnet educational levels, since it takes longer than med. checks.