Prospective medical student seeking advice (changing career to medicine)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kaion

Reaction score
Hi all,

Not sure if this is the right place to post but it would be greatly appreciated if someone can offer some advice.

I graduated from college almost 3 years ago and have been working since then. I am approaching 26 soon and medicine is a direct entry degree for high school graduate back in my country so I am relatively late compared to my peers.

I am considering a switch as a career in medicine is more stable and also because I was diagnosed of some health issues (and situation would have been much better if I had the knowledge to figure it out myself earlier). Basically, I want to learn something that is more useful to myself and meaningful.

I understand medicine is quite intense and I want to make sure I am well prepared / suited for it given it is a multi year commitment that resets my career.

Is there a way to test myself or giving me a sense of studying medicine? It has been a long time since I last take a course in chemistry and I have never taken biology before.

I am thinking of giving myself 1-2 years time and start taking some online courses in basic chemistry/biology/anatomy/neuroscience (edX/Saylor Academy/etc.) and volunteer for some shadowing experiences to get a sense of it in the meantime. Would that be enough?

I am afraid medicine is way more intense than that so I want to make sure I can handle the intellectual rigor. Is there any other suggestion? I know that people often recommend incoming MS1 not to study ahead but I guess my situation could be quite different as the opportunity cost is high and it is better to make sure I am committed and able.

Sorry for the long thread but thank you so much for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! Are you currently still in a non-US/Canada country? If you’re in the US there’s a lot of great resources in the non-traditional student forum that can help give you some guidance on the next step to take. I would say generally your plan of taking the science pre requisite courses and shadowing physicians is a good starting point but If you want more specifics, you can check out the pre-Med and non-traditional students forums.

Hi! Are you currently still in a non-US/Canada country? If you’re in the US there’s a lot of great resources in the non-traditional student forum that can help give you some guidance on the next step to take. I would say generally your plan of taking the science pre requisite courses and shadowing physicians is a good starting point but If you want more specifics, you can check out the pre-Med and non-traditional students forums.
hi lumya, thanks for your reply! Yes, I am in a non-US/Canada country. I am aware of the resources there but I guess I would have limited access (especially given I am working full time).

I am trying to self-study for MCAT now but I am not very sure if being able to score well in MCAT means I can handle the rigor of med school..

hi lumya, thanks for your reply! Yes, I am in a non-US/Canada country. I am aware of the resources there but I guess I would have limited access (especially given I am working full time).

I am trying to self-study for MCAT now but I am not very sure if being able to score well in MCAT means I can handle the rigor of med school..

Hi, I read through your old posts and it looks like you're trying to get into an Australian medical school. I don't know much about the system there, but if you can handle higher-level science courses and do well on the MCAT, you should be decently prepared for medical school. Of course there's a lot of stress associated with the whole process so if you know a doctor or a medical student to talk to, they might be able to give you some insight on what its like. Best of luck.