Suggestion Promoting SDN to high school students?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there anyway to promote SDN to high school students interested in medicine? I've noticed the hSDN section is usually very quiet nowadays which is sad to see because when I joined SDN in 2012 (during my senior year of high school) there were many hSDN forum posts throughout the week. Not only that, but many of us connected with each other and discussed activities/clubs we developed during high school. It was quite a fun sub-community for high school students, and obviously SDN users with more experience would chime in when we posed questions about college, medical school, etc.

I believe SDN is a wonderful resource for both high school and college students,but it seems less high school students find out about SDN. I would love for this sub-section to become more active again, and I wanted to toss the idea around.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your suggestion. I will bring this idea to our staff meeting and we will see what ideas we can come up with!

Oh perfect! I had tossed around a few ideas as well over the past few days, I can pm them to you if you'd like as well. Thanks for considering my suggestion!

Last edited:
@MCATKINGS
Yeah i agree with you, and it is sad to see some forums become quieter due to the vast options available to students. I’ve always been a fan of forums so I’m probably biased, but I also understand why high school students and even college students have never heard of SDN. I went back to my university to speak to a class yesterday about medical school, and most of them hadn’t heard of SDN. So I obviously made sure to tell them what it was about haha.

@MCATKINGS

Yeah that's exactly what I was thinking because it can only benefit pre-medical students as they move along through their studies. Not only that, pre-medical advisers/committees are always trying to find extra resources for their students.

As moderators, you guys do a great job!

Most colleges have a Facebook group for every graduating class. A brief and well-structured online course, maybe in a Khan Academy type video format and targeted toward incoming freshman, might generate a lot of visitors if distributed in that setting. It would take a volunteer at each school or an email to the schools academic advising department for permission to advertise though.

Oh. A Snapchat account too. All the kids are using it, and stories get a lot of hits.

For the love of god don't introduce this site to high school students. I wasted enough time on here in college when I was sure I wanted to be a doctor.

Let high school students do those things they do: puberty and bad decisions.

Reactions: 1 users
For the love of god don't introduce this site to high school students. I wasted enough time on here in college when I was sure I wanted to be a doctor.

Let high school students do those things they do: puberty and bad decisions.

I mean there is already an hSDN section which is usually fairly quiet nowadays, but back in the day hSDN used to have a decently active group that I was a part of right before college. Most of the time we didn't post about pre-medical activities, but rather just made a small sub-community. Obviously, this website wouldn't be something most high school students would log on daily, but there is nothing wrong opening up the amount of resources and information they can look into to help them as they enter college. Not only that, they may end up sticking around SDN as they move forward into their professional careers.

I mean there is already an hSDN section which is usually fairly quiet nowadays, but back in the day hSDN used to have a decently active group that I was a part of right before college. Most of the time we didn't post about pre-medical activities, but rather just made a small sub-community. Obviously, this website wouldn't be something most high school students would log on daily, but there is nothing wrong opening up the amount of resources and information they can look into to help them as they enter college. Not only that, they may end up sticking around SDN as they move forward into their professional careers.
I'm not trying to be a dick here, but why would you really want that? It's not particularly useful and could even be harmful when people have their dreams ruined after they get a 42 on their first gen chem exam and they've spent hundreds of hours on SDN obsessing about the profession.

@NicMouse64
I just don't see anything wrong with SDN providing a place for all students, including high school students, to ask questions and discuss certain topics.
I see no problem with it existing lol. I just see no need to promote it.

I see no problem with it existing lol. I just see no need to promote it.
I think the idea is to provide guidance early in college, especially for kids who don't have strong support from academic advisors. Some guidance early on is huge, and the only way kids will know what's available is through outreach

Reactions: 1 users
Premeds are already neurotic enough.