Programs with pediatric training...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
C

Casey

I have recently started my 3rd year at a medical school without a Radiation Oncology program. I am currently looking at programs trying to figure out where I should do some away rotations (And also, where I might want to apply for interviews) I would like to visit programs where there is some degree of pediatric exposure during residency training. I would imagine some programs have a lot more pediatric patients than others...

I would be open to doing rotation electives just about anywhere. However, I was wondering if someone could suggest some programs that don't essentially require a PhD. I don't have one. I do have 2 first author papers in oncology research, but am still looking for a project in Rad onc. I have a 252 on the boards and a 4.0 gpa, but once again...no PhD.

Any suggestions on programs that might be good/realistic to look at?

Thanks,
Casey

Members don't see this ad.

Casey said:
I have recently started my 3rd year at a medical school without a Radiation Oncology program. I am currently looking at programs trying to figure out where I should do some away rotations (And also, where I might want to apply for interviews) I would like to visit programs where there is some degree of pediatric exposure during residency training. I would imagine some programs have a lot more pediatric patients than others...

I would be open to doing rotation electives just about anywhere. However, I was wondering if someone could suggest some programs that don't essentially require a PhD. I don't have one. I do have 2 first author papers in oncology research, but am still looking for a project in Rad onc. I have a 252 on the boards and a 4.0 gpa, but once again...no PhD.

Any suggestions on programs that might be good/realistic to look at?

Thanks,
Casey

Hi Casey. You may be gobbling a little too much at once. But let's find out:

You want Peds oriented programs, and programs that "dont require a PhD". But youre just talking about a med school elective, right? So why all the requirements at this phase of the game. In short what exactly are you looking to get out of this elective?

Are you looking specifically to get to know programs that have peds cos you just want to rotate through that kind of program? Are you looking to have a place get to know you so you might rank there? And if so are you looking for such a program with a good peds program? Are you looking to just expereince radonc and see if its for you? Are you looking for good experience and hopefully good letters?

So what are your goals and then we can piece together places that might be good for you do try an elective at.

Let me also door-stop something else right here; No programs require a PhD, expressly or for all intents and purposes. You do not, repeat DO NOT need a PhD for this field. It's clear this issue has become a bit off-kilter when folks start registering their NOT having a phd as if PhD positivity is the default. Folks most people DONT have phds. The situation is this: I dont need to hear that you are "Missing" one. It an "if you HAVE one let me know" situation.

Stephew, thanks for responding...

As far as electives go, I am looking to get good letters of recommendations and if possible, visit some places I am interested in ranking.

I mentioned the peds criteria because in the long term, I am interested in pediatric rad onc research (St. Judes is my current stomping ground...) I just don't know where to start looking for programs that have a strong pediatric component. I understand that Rad Onc training is adult-oriented. I am just looking for programs that would suit a long term goal of pediatric research.

As for electives, it would be nice if they fit the above criteria but it is not necessary. I think good recommendations would come first. Do you think that should be the main goal?

Thanks,
casey

Members don't see this ad :)
radiation was being phased out of most pedi onc, but with protons in the mix, there might be something of a resurgence. if you want pedi xrt exposure (besides st judes), check out mass general. They have a lot of pedi referrals secondary to the northeast proton center as well a big name in nancy tarbell

Following up on Stephew's comments about the erroneous misconception of need for PhD:

-Yes I have a PhD
-Yes I got my first choice program

But...

There were many programs that were not interested in me specifically because I made it clear I was looking for a program with strong basic and translational research. Many programs do not offer this, and many PhD's like me want a program that fits that particular mold.

For example, there are many programs that have reputations for excellent clinical training in spite of lack of research. Also, there are some programs whose focus is on "clinical" research as opposed to "basic" or "translational". a PhD is not a huge advantage in programs with "clinical"research focus.

It is true that many MD/PhD's have recently "discovered" this field. And It may seem intimidating on interviews when 50% or more of the fellow interviewees are MD/PhD's. Just because they get interviwed doesn't mean all the spots go to them.

in the last 2 years, 6 people at my medical school applied and matched into good radonc programs. 2 had PhD's the other 4 did not. 1 of those went to my med-schools program (the other MD/PhD). My good friend (non-PhD) got his first choice program.

So, relax. with strong boards, strong interest, and time to plan, you have a great chance of matching.

JTradonc
visit http://radbio.net for more rad onc community forums!

temujim said:
radiation was being phased out of most pedi onc, but with protons in the mix, there might be something of a resurgence.
??
Not at all correct. Dont know where that misconception came from but its totally off base. It was never being phased out as in many cases its the only hope for cure. Protons have a specific role in very particular instances; we are a major Ped radonc center and we rarely need to refer out for protons. Also with IMRT, even those cases are whittled down. Some will definitely benefit more with protons but these are very few of the total cases we see. Remeber: most cancer cases dont want "knife-like" precision. We want to treat a broad field for subclinical disease. Unfortunately you'll see that the 'net has the massive downside of creating the "a little learning is a dangerous thing" senario in youre patients; they'll have heard all about things like "gamma knife" and "protons" and "imrt" and want them because they're new and "precise". And totally inappropriate for their case.
When you start residency you'll see.

Casey said:
Stephew, thanks for responding...

As far as electives go, I am looking to get good letters of recommendations and if possible, visit some places I am interested in ranking.

I mentioned the peds criteria because in the long term, I am interested in pediatric rad onc research (St. Judes is my current stomping ground...) I just don't know where to start looking for programs that have a strong pediatric component. I understand that Rad Onc training is adult-oriented. I am just looking for programs that would suit a long term goal of pediatric research.

As for electives, it would be nice if they fit the above criteria but it is not necessary. I think good recommendations would come first. Do you think that should be the main goal?

Thanks,
casey
Ok. that helps. What you want to do is "audition" at a place with strong peds background. obviously St Judes has that sort of thing. Other places: UCSF, Memorial, Hopkins, MGH, Dana Farber/Brigham, U ROchester (Louis Constine) Duke (halperin but I beleive he's been bumped upstairs and i dont know how much clinical stuff is going on there). Those are the big places to start. All will get you folks who can write powerful letters if you earn them.