Coursework & Fieldwork Program Credits

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vlm26

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I don't know if this has been discussed anywhere else already, but does anyone have any insight on a good number of credits for a program to have? I never really paid attention to it until I realized the 7 schools I applied to range from 64 credits to 117 credits. I assume the obvious answer would be that more credits means more prepared for the field, but I don't know if that's necessarily the case.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

They should all aim to fulfill AOTA requirements. I personally think unless there is a big difference in their NBCOT pass rates, I'd rather save money in tuition. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone!

I don't know if this has been discussed anywhere else already, but does anyone have any insight on a good number of credits for a program to have? I never really paid attention to it until I realized the 7 schools I applied to range from 64 credits to 117 credits. I assume the obvious answer would be that more credits means more prepared for the field, but I don't know if that's necessarily the case.

Thoughts?

Are these all masters programs or are some OTD programs? The program I will be attending is an 85 credit masters program. I applied to an OTD program and it had I think 105 credits, but that is a longer program and different degree. Also some schools assign credit hours differently, so that could add to the gap.

When I was deciding which schools to apply to I looked at the curriculum and read the course descriptions for all the classes offered. Some programs offered an extra class on specific areas that I am interested in. Overall, I think most programs have the curriculum outlined very well that you will be fully prepared regardless of the number of credits.

Members don't see this ad :)
One masters program I applied to is 117 credits. I was told that I would need just one more semester after to get my OTD. They also said that they have a 100% pass rate on the NBCOT.

Are these all masters programs or are some OTD programs? The program I will be attending is an 85 credit masters program. I applied to an OTD program and it had I think 105 credits, but that is a longer program and different degree. Also some schools assign credit hours differently, so that could add to the gap.

When I was deciding which schools to apply to I looked at the curriculum and read the course descriptions for all the classes offered. Some programs offered an extra class on specific areas that I am interested in. Overall, I think most programs have the curriculum outlined very well that you will be fully prepared regardless of the number of credits.
All of those are master's programs. I think I figured out that the ones with more credits might have more of a research component to it while the ones on the lower end are more clinical based.

Bump. I'm also realizing that programs range from like 70-130 credits (some just for a MASTERS). Is anyone taking number of credits into account when choosing a program? It's seems crazy to me that all of these schools receive the same accreditation but differ so much when it comes to # of credits. Are the high number of credits really necessary or is it just so schools can increase tuition?