Professional courtesy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pitman

Grasshopper
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For anyone already studying in Aus...do med students get 'professional courtesy'?

-pitman

Members don't see this ad.

if by professional courtesy, you mean: getting treatment for free??

well... that happens (a lot do it), but be careful, by free it means that they 'bulk bill' you.

which means they get paid by the government (medicare) for the service, but you don't have to pay a cent.

look it up (the medicare service) to see if you're eligible, i'm not sure who's eligible - there are also reciprocl arrangements with some government health ministries...

if i'm off track, and you are talking about some other 'professional courtesy' let me know

Originally posted by Patchie
if by professional courtesy, you mean: getting treatment for free??

well... that happens (a lot do it), but be careful, by free it means that they 'bulk bill' you.

which means they get paid by the government (medicare) for the service, but you don't have to pay a cent.

look it up (the medicare service) to see if you're eligible, i'm not sure who's eligible - there are also reciprocl arrangements with some government health ministries...

if i'm off track, and you are talking about some other 'professional courtesy' let me know

Unfortunately as we are not local australians we are not eligible for government rebates. However if you do have medibank private (or some other form of health care coverage - which is required) then they will reimburse you. Though most doctors will lower their schedule fees if you tell them that you are a student regardless of whether you are an international or not.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by redshifteffect
Unfortunately as we are not local australians we are not eligible for government rebates. However if you do have medibank private (or some other form of health care coverage - which is required) then they will reimburse you. Though most doctors will lower their schedule fees if you tell them that you are a student regardless of whether you are an international or not.

Yeah, I was thinking not of an institutional rebate (through medicare), but volunteered courtesy from docs themselves. Such is what my mom predicted, which gives me another reason for me to wait until I get there to do my immunizations (which don't need to be done until March).

Thanks guys.

-pitman

Originally posted by pitman
Yeah, I was thinking not of an institutional rebate (through medicare), but volunteered courtesy from docs themselves. Such is what my mom predicted, which gives me another reason for me to wait until I get there to do my immunizations (which don't need to be done until March).

Thanks guys.

-pitman
Yeah for international students private insurance is required..i remember i had to get some immunisations and i think out of $70 i got $20 back from medibank....

You have to get health insurance: it's required for your visa. If you go to the Student health centre, they'll bulk bill you and won't charge you on top. You get a token amount of prescriptions covered (~$100) and 80% of lab fees etc. back. Corridor consults are frowned upon and I have yet to see it happen.

On the subject of professional courtesy... does anyone have any tips on how to tactfully ask that you want free medical care? ;)

My family doctor was great and as soon as I got into medical school he stopped charging me for visits. Unfortunately he retired and although my current doctor loves the fact I actually understand what he's talking about... along with the vigourous handshake on exit is a $40 bill ;(

Originally posted by Purifyer
On the subject of professional courtesy... does anyone have any tips on how to tactfully ask that you want free medical care? ;)

My family doctor was great and as soon as I got into medical school he stopped charging me for visits. Unfortunately he retired and although my current doctor loves the fact I actually understand what he's talking about... along with the vigourous handshake on exit is a $40 bill ;(

lol get another doc ;)

Originally posted by Purifyer

That's NZ$40, or US$25, right? I'd be dancing around if visits were that cheap! :)

-pitman

Originally posted by pitman
That's NZ$40, or US$25, right? I'd be dancing around if visits were that cheap! :)

-pitman

Not if your student allowance was $150 pw... with rent taking up $115 of it....

:)

"hmm... should I go to the doctor... or eat this week?"

But I don't have to pay it back so I'm not whining