Preparing for Neurology match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ocimy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an MS3 preparing for a field in Neurology and am interested in how I can take advantage of the rest of MS3/MS4 to match into a competitive residency.

I am currently in Psych rotation and still have Surgery, Medicine last. Neuro is scheduled for July with a break in August to take Step 2 CK/CS. Step 1 was not stellar and so far received the dreaded 'pass' in all previous clerkships (clinically high pass. shelf: pass). My plan is to try to rock CK and Medicine clerkship.

Questions:
1. Are there any MS4 electives you would recommend in order to prepare for Neuro/Intern year?
2. Any further recommendations for standing out to neuro residencies?

Members don't see this ad.

Try to get a couple of publications on your CV.

Study more for the shelf exams to at least get high pass. Make sure you do well on Step 2. Do well on your neuro rotation.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you need to at least HP both your medicine and neuro rotations. Look into neuro subs if you have them at your school. Having some research is good. But at this point, may be too late in the game.

Most crucial is dropping a 240+ CK. Also, try and do well on Psy. They share 30% on board cert.

Neurology? As long as you can speak English, you should be good

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks everyone! I hear neuro is a low-competitive residency for match, but can't help but want the 'best' residency options (not yet sure what means).

Improving shelf exams and step 2 are my biggest goals at this point. We'll see if I can fish out some research 4 year (at least discuss interests during interview since most likely won't have publications by that time).