Preparation for Ohio

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ohsnap

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, I'm going to go ahead and piggyback off the previous post about Temple. So, what are people doing to prepare for Ohio this fall (housing, etc.)? Any and all helpful feedback is welcome. :)

Members don't see this ad.

ohsnap said:
Ok, I'm going to go ahead and piggyback off the previous post about Temple. So, what are people doing to prepare for Ohio this fall (housing, etc.)? Any and all helpful feedback is welcome. :)

Are you going to the housing fair on the 10th of June? I think that I will be just to have some help finding a suitable place to live.

PickledEels said:
Are you going to the housing fair on the 10th of June? I think that I will be just to have some help finding a suitable place to live.

I haven't decided yet. I have been trying to look online and use the housing guide I got at the interview but maybe I'll see you there.

Members don't see this ad :)
ohsnap said:
I haven't decided yet. I have been trying to look online and use the housing guide I got at the interview but maybe I'll see you there.

I will be attending ohio pod school this fall also. I am going to the housing fair to see if I can get a deal. The faculity at ohio are so helpful, and kind. I feel really good about going here. I got accepted to scholl, cali, n.y., and barry but ohio treated me so well. Also, they are strictly a pod school, not like scholl that has about 20 grad programs. So, at the interview I was told we will be assinged a mentor prob 2nd year student and get old test. That sounds great! ;) ;) . I am taking biochemisty this summer to prepare. What are u guys doing to prepare, and how do u thing anatomy/biochemisty will be?

norris said:
I will be attending ohio pod school this fall also. I am going to the housing fair to see if I can get a deal. The faculity at ohio are so helpful, and kind. I feel really good about going here. I got accepted to scholl, cali, n.y., and barry but ohio treated me so well. Also, they are strictly a pod school, not like scholl that has about 20 grad programs. So, at the interview I was told we will be assinged a mentor prob 2nd year student and get old test. That sounds great! ;) ;) . I am taking biochemisty this summer to prepare. What are u guys doing to prepare, and how do u thing anatomy/biochemisty will be?
I will also be there this fall. I am also taking Biochemistry this summer, hopefully this will help prepare me better. However, for this reason I will likely not be attending the housing fair.
I believe that anatomy/biochemistry will be insanely difficult, but at the same time I look forward to them.

norris said:

For the love of mercy!!!!

These timbers have been shaken from the sheer roar of my laughter!!!!

now some schools are assigning upperclassmen to distribute their used tests????? Must be a great selling point on interview day! It's kind of nice when the used car dealership throws in a full tank of gas too, isn't it???

I can tell that they're not scraping the bottom of podiatry in Ohio! hehe...

Can't the "high-quality" students at Ohio, just learn the material, like (from what I've been told) the rest of the schools are attempting to FORCE their poor students to do????

The "academics" there must be really rough!!!

Lol!

Awww, that's so cute!

It sounds like a real serious "medical school" program to me!~

whiskers said:

now some schools are assigning upperclassmen to distribute their used tests????? Must be a great selling point on interview day! It's kind of nice when the used car dealership throws in a full tank of gas too, isn't it???

Can't the "high-quality" students at Ohio, just learn the material, like (from what I've been told) the rest of the schools are attempting to FORCE their poor students to do????

Lol!

Awww, that's so cute!

For the love of Pete Whiskers!!! You will find old tests at allopathic med schools, osteopathic med schools, and at the Kaplan MCAT review courses. Its a fact of life, its all over academics. Can we move on yet?

whiskers said:

Lol!

Awww, that's so cute!

DAMN! Those are some pretty bold statements there Whisky! Did you, by chance, attend OCPM?

whiskers said:
Uh-huh, that's what they all say....

I think we are talking about different things Whiskers. For instance, at DMU (and most medical programs throughout the nation), old tests are available to the DPM/DO classes so the students have an idea of what TYPE of questions will be asked (subject focus, depth, etc). HOWEVER (and this is the key), these questions ARE NOT USED on the actual test. If a program was doing that, it would definitely be ridiculous.
Are you accusing programs of distributing old tests and then using those questions on the actual test or are you "anti old test" all together???

jonwill said:
I think we are talking about different things Whiskers. For instance, at DMU (and most medical programs throughout the nation), old tests are available to the DPM/DO classes so the students have an idea of what TYPE of questions will be asked (subject focus, depth, etc). HOWEVER (and this is the key), these questions ARE NOT USED on the actual test. If a program was doing that, it would definitely be ridiculous.
Are you accusing programs of distributing old tests and then using those questions on the actual test or are you "anti old test" all together???

Old tests, as guides, are nothing peculiar, in my book..... And there should be no shame in using them to light your academic path…..
The other option is, as you say, ridiculous, in my opinion too....

With that in mind,

[And we can all be proud on graduation day of all of our hard-earned accomplishments!

And just what bountiful wisdom could a class valedictorian, who hid their stash of old exams so well for four years, give the poor saps who had none?

I have a suggestion...

Maybe a speech on honesty, integrity and other academic values?

But if not, either way, I think that it will be a speech that will actually be; unspoken in the minds and hearts of so many....

Congratulations and good luck, podiatry's class of 2006~!]

whiskers said:
Old tests, as guides, are nothing peculiar, in my book..... And there should be no shame in using them to light your academic path…..

With that in mind,

[And we can all be proud on graduation day of all of our hard-earned accomplishments!

And just what bountiful wisdom could a class valedictorian, who hid their stash of old exams so well for four years, give the poor saps who had none?

I have a suggestion...

But if not, either way, I think that it will be a speech that will actually be; unspoken in the minds and hearts of so many....

Riddle me this Whiskers. Are you assuming that those who scored highest in your class had questions to the test prior to the exam date or do you know it for a fact? I would think that if this information was common knowledge the administration would be a little upset. I just cant imagine a PhD allowing his/her test questions to be reviewed prior to the exam. It sounds like you are just making assumptions.

Members don't see this ad :)
whiskers said:

With that in mind,

I have a suggestion...

OK, now we are on the same page.

ok, things got way off topic when whiskers butted in. so anyways, if your are currently going to ocpm or are about to start at ocpm and you have any helpful tips about housing, classes, etc. please post your thoughts. :)

Why does OCPM get so much criticism? can someone give some facts please?

ucrs said:
Why does OCPM get so much criticism? can someone give some facts please?

The Deans of both DMU and Scholl earned their DPM's at OCPM.

Based on some past posts, and the tendency for Whiskers to respond to all OCPM related threads, I have a hunch that Whiskers attends OCPM. Don't let this sway you, though. I would bet that Whiskers is only a tiger on the internet while being quietly bitter in the classroom. ...just a hunch.
--Bill

Willcott said:
The Deans of both DMU and Scholl earned their DPM's at OCPM.

Based on some past posts, and the tendency for Whiskers to respond to all OCPM related threads, I have a hunch that Whiskers attends OCPM. Don't let this sway you, though. I would bet that Whiskers is only a tiger on the internet while being quietly bitter in the classroom. ...just a hunch.
--Bill
One of DMU's other doctors (besides the Dean) also got his DPM at OCPM.

are any of you planning on going to the housing fair on june 10?? has anybody already found any good apartment deals? please post some ideas and helpful tips :)

ohsnap said:
are any of you planning on going to the housing fair on june 10?? has anybody already found any good apartment deals? please post some ideas and helpful tips :)
Are you looking for apartments or houses? Are you looking for roomates or a place of your own. IOne source I found to be excellent was the Case Western Housing office. They have some great listings. Also if you know how to contact anyone in either podiatry or Case's programs they can be your best resource and point you in the right direction.

PickledEels said:
Are you looking for apartments or houses? Are you looking for roomates or a place of your own. IOne source I found to be excellent was the Case Western Housing office. They have some great listings. Also if you know how to contact anyone in either podiatry or Case's programs they can be your best resource and point you in the right direction.

thanks for the help, pickled eels. i will check it out.

i would also look at some areas in downtown and west side of the city - a bit of a further drive but the prices are pretty reasonable - areas near jacob's field and the Q arena are not too bad either...

your best bet though is to look around case western reserve university campus especially at the appartments on coventry street

good luck...pm me if u have any further questions