Medical Premed, Failed calc 2 twice...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vcml333

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I'm new to SDN so I apologize for any formatting errors of this lengthy post. Additionally, thank you for taking the time to give your input on this post.
My current situation is kind of tricky:
I began college as a Chemistry major (with no intention of going premed) at a Cal State school. I did generally well in the first semester: B+ in Gen Chem 1 and an A in the lab, and A's in both of my general education classes. I made the dean's list that semester.
In the spring, I took gen chem 2 and received a C+, (did not take the lab because at the time I didn't think I needed it), a B in Calc 1, a B in bio 1, and an A in one of the GE classes I was taking.
That summer, I took calc 2 at a local CC and due to an illness, got behind, couldn't keep up, and failed. (At the time I didn't know I could get a medical withdrawal...) At that point, I was still not considering premed. However, I was considering transferring to a more prestigious UC. After researching, I knew I would have the highest chance of getting into a UC if I transferred as a CC student. So, for the Fall semester, I enrolled as a CC, still as a chem major, and continued my education with the following classes: Organic Chem 1 w/lab and received a B, Physics 1 with an A, and...calc 2 ..with another F. Not cool. It was during that spring semester that I realized I had a passion to go PreMed, and decided to pursue it. I changed my major to biological anthropology with a potential chem minor to better my chances of improving my gpa. I knew about undergrad grade replacement, but at the time I did not know that medical schools did NOT account for grade replacement. So that has left me kind of bummed. I do plan on retaking it for the third and final time, changing my study habits, and quitting my job. My only reason of explanation for the second failure I have is that I am working full time, babysitting a special needs child, and volunteering at a local hospital.
I guess I am writing to see if anyone has failed Calc 2 twice and still got into a med school? I understand that post-bacc may be necessary at this point. But if I can manage to bring up my GPA (lots more IGETC requirements to go(aka: easy A's), plus all my upper division) and keep an upward trend in my grades, is having failed calc 2 twice gonna ruin any chance I have?
Thanks again for all your input, and I apologize for the lengthy post!

Members don't see this ad.