Prelim programs & Ophtho

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fugax

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I just wanted to start a thread on prelim programs (either medicine or transitional) for those of us applying in ophtho this year. I thought we could start a list organized by city:

1) New York: Columbia, St. Vincent's
2) Boston: Brigham/Faulkner
3) Chicago: Northwestern
4) Southern CA: UCLA, Huntington, Santa Barbara Cottage
5) Bay area: Stanford, Kaiser SF
6) Philly: HUP medicine prelim, Presbyterian Transitional year

Any others?

Members don't see this ad.

Since nobody has replied to this message, I thought I would try and jumpstart it again...anyone have any thoughts/recommendations about prelim programs? I was wondering if people had already heard from the majority of their prelims by now...(I actually have only heard from a little less than half). I'd be interested to hear other people's thoughts regarding choosing a transitional year over a medicine prelim, etc. I've found that I'm actually more out to sea when it comes to learning about prelim programs than about ophtho programs. I hope I'm not the only one out there who feels this way.

Any thoughts on prelims would be welcome...

hey,

I interviewed at St. Vincent's for prelim and transitional. Fugax, have you been there yet?

I thought it was very good. My tour guide was an intern and he said he'd go there again in a heartbeat. I've only heard good things from people who did their internship there.

I personally don't see any downside to this program: great people, great location, strong program.

I haven't heard from any of the better known prelim programs in the city. In fact, I haven't heard from a majority the prelims. What places have people heard from already?

As for transitional vs. prelim, I also don't know what's better. Transitionals are supposed to be more chill compared to prelims, but that's the extent of my understanding!