prelim, how many to apply to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medstudent2005

Welcome to the Jungle
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
howdie

i'm applying to 47 programs for the specialty i want, and have to apply to a prelim program as well. I would like it all to be in the same place, but applying to 40 some odd prelim programs just doesn't seem to make sense. what do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

medstudent2005 said:
howdie

i'm applying to 47 programs for the specialty i want, and have to apply to a prelim program as well. I would like it all to be in the same place, but applying to 40 some odd prelim programs just doesn't seem to make sense. what do you guys think?

I'm in the same position as you, applying to 40+ programs all over the country, but I have no desire to do prelim at the same place as the specialty. Instead, I chose to apply to prelims only in my home state. It just seems much simpler to me.

apply to 10 prelims in a single place ... ideally where you are now, that way you only move once.

Members don't see this ad :)
makes sense :)

thanks

I don't know what field you're going into but for my field, there were programs with prelim year included, programs where my interview for my field counted for prelim/transitional program at the institution, etc.

I only applied to about 8 prelim/transitional programs. There were also a couple programs where one interview qualified me to apply to both transitional and prelim at that institution.