Technology Predict how technology will affect the next 10 or 20 years of health care

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stroganoff

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some topics to throw around:

* online medical records
* online prescriptions
* improved imaging (MRI, ultrasound, CT, etc.) and early prevention of disease
* outsourcing of certain jobs (i.e. diagnostic rads)
* better surgery techniques
--laparoscopy
--laser, thermal stuff
--telesurgery (is that the word?)...e.g. a surgeon several miles away at base camp doing a procedure on a soldier on the battlefield
* using distributed computing (and supercomputers) to model how proteins fold or how molecules interact...saving years of lab time...creating pharmaceuticals faster
--growing whole organs in vitro that are 100% compatible with the patient... no rejection because the cells were cloned to begin with?
--helping people regain muscle and neural control (e.g. paralysis, stroke victims)
--better pacemakers

Man, the possibilities are endless. The incorporation of technology into health care is one of the main reasons why I'm excited to be going into medicine (some day).

Members don't see this ad.

Dallenoff said:
Some topics to throw around:

* online medical records
* online prescriptions
* improved imaging (MRI, ultrasound, CT, etc.) and early prevention of disease
* outsourcing of certain jobs (i.e. diagnostic rads)
* better surgery techniques
--laparoscopy
--laser, thermal stuff
--telesurgery (is that the word?)...e.g. a surgeon several miles away at base camp doing a procedure on a soldier on the battlefield
* using distributed computing (and supercomputers) to model how proteins fold or how molecules interact...saving years of lab time...creating pharmaceuticals faster
--growing whole organs in vitro that are 100% compatible with the patient... no rejection because the cells were cloned to begin with?
--helping people regain muscle and neural control (e.g. paralysis, stroke victims)
--better pacemakers

Man, the possibilities are endless. The incorporation of technology into health care is one of the main reasons why I'm excited to be going into medicine (some day).

Knowing healthcare, you can look at other industries today to see what healthcare will have 10-20 years from now (at least when it comes to IT). Even so, that's still a remarkable improvement from where it's currently at.

I agree, the future is exciting, despite my cynicism :smuggrin: