Pre-studying before M1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

craig90

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, my school offers a pre-matriculation program that runs for a few weeks to go over core concepts (mainly MCAT topics) during July. It's optional but recommended for those with low MCAT scores or nontrads. I've heard from numerous medical students not to study before school starts and to just enjoy the summer since the curriculum will be an adjustment regardless, however I'm wondering if this program would be beneficial since I'm a couple years out of college (non-trad). Is it worth giving up the last month before school starts to join this program? Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone, my school offers a pre-matriculation program that runs for a few weeks to go over core concepts (mainly MCAT topics) during July. It's optional but recommended for those with low MCAT scores or nontrads. I've heard from numerous medical students not to study before school starts and to just enjoy the summer since the curriculum will be an adjustment regardless, however I'm wondering if this program would be beneficial since I'm a couple years out of college (non-trad). Is it worth giving up the last month before school starts to join this program? Thank you in advance!
I'm assuming this is gonna cost extra?

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't. Enjoy your time off. Congrats on the acceptance.

Reactions: 3 users
It's actually free.
I'm an incoming student myself, but honestly, I know so many non trads/low MCAT who killed it in med school, while some people with high mcat/straight out of undergrad struggled.

Medical school depends on you.

Just enjoy your last summer off!

Reactions: 1 user
Don’t study medically related material before you start.

DO study what resources are available to study from (UFAP, Sketchy, Anki decks, etc.).

DO make a plan to divide the learning into manageable increments.

DO relax.

Reactions: 1 users
I didn't understand why people told me pre-studying wouldn't be useful when I was entering med school until I started med school.

Anything I learned during the summer would've maybe benefited my first exam, but the turnaround is so fast and there's so much material, I would have no advantage going forward.

Your summer will probably be one of the few last moments of freedom so you should just enjoy it if you can.

Reactions: 1 user
Don't do this. All the material you will be learning will be brand new (aside from the biochem and cellular biology stuff) and thus you will be in the same situation as everyone else. So wether someone scored a 528 or a 505 is irrelevant in my opinion. I think that score shows more so your ability to think critically as well as your ability to study hard and take school serious. Enjoy your last bit of freedom and work hard when class starts.

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you all for the insight! I've decided not to do the program and spend an extra month with family.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users