Pre-pharms, please read: The Truth About Pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pharmacy is a Scam

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
This is a good article that echos many of the sentiments often shared on this forum. If you want to “help people” by becoming a pharmacist, please think twice about attending pharmacy school because the career is a sinking ship. Consider these points made in the article:

1) About 83% of all pharmacy school applicants get in somewhere. Sheesh, it’s about as difficult to get into pharmacy school as it is to go to a community college...

2) This quote: “When I graduated in 2001 the running joke was if you have a license and a pulse pharmacies throw money at you to hire you. Now it should be “Do you have a pulse and an approved loan application? We’ll take you!”

3) Even if you get lucky and get a job upon graduation that pays $120k, this is pre-tax income and you’re going to have a massive loan debt and be tied to paying it off over the next 15-20 years of your career so please do the math there.

4) 5+% of the profession (15,000+) have signed a #changepharmacy petition which should tell you exactly what you need to know about this profession.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
There are a few truths I would like to add:

1. Pharmacy rotation assignments change while students are enrolled within pharmacy school for unforeseen reasons, which does not allow students to have meaningful experiences to market themselves.
  2. Students are not allowed to speak anything negative about the profession, especially at USFCOP. This "all positive" mentality forces students to not learn at their potential.
  3. The national trend is: the NAPLEX scores decrease while the number of students increase (not in 2018, though).
  4. The MPJE scores vary by state, but the passing percentage nationally is decreasing as well. Pharmacy students need to pass both the NAPLEX and the MPJE for most states to become licensed. Even after licensure is achieved, getting a job and establishing a career is an uphill battle. No one talks about the MPJE but there are lots of practice materials and talk about the NAPLEX.
  5. Schools of pharmacy are more interested in promoting their reputation than in helping you promote your reputation as a pharmacist.
  6. National associations in pharmacy (APhA, AMCP, ACCP, and ASHP) are not addressing the joblessness crisis or feel it is their responsibility to do so. The same goes for the Accreditation Council of Pharmacy Education (ACPE), which reports student graduation outcomes rather than the specific jobs these graduates are employed in. State pharmacist organizations preach "action," but nothing is done about the oversaturation of pharmacists and accountability of the quality of pharmacy education. The lack of accountability in pharmacy, even within educational institutions, is staggering.
  7. Pharmacy schools are ranked via US News and World Report based on a peer-ranking system (in other words, how people feel about the school) rather than a job outcomes based system.
  8. Drug shortages reported by the Food and Drug Administration are extremely high, forcing the creation of new drugs, challenging hospitals to do more with even less than before. Drug shortages seem to be more of a priority for practicing pharmacists than training their own personnel (without a residency).
  9. Pharmacist Provider Status will only allow reimbursement for specific services (ambulatory care and cognitive services for Ohio). The sales pitch is to create entrepreneurial opportunities for pharmacists to practice at the top of their license, not jobs. Even at its most positive, Pharmacist Provider Status alone will not address the joblessness crisis pharmacy created. Who will have the money to be entrepreneurs when their student loan debts are higher than $200,000?

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
You could tell people cigarettes kill half a million people each year but you are still going to see people smoking. I am sure all pre pharmacy students are aware of the situation so making a new thread about this every week seems a bit redundant.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The pre-pharm forums is pretty dead nowadays. IDK if we scared all of them from the forum or from the profession itself.

Reactions: 1 user
This would go perfect with the job market thread.

Moving.
Not really. OP was mainly talking about the increasing ease of getting into pharmacy school and the debt burden associated with it

This isn’t about the job market, we are not talking about saturation here. Why are we overmodding again?

Not really. OP was mainly talking about the increasing ease of getting into pharmacy school and the debt burden associated with it

Job Market

Falls right into the purpose of this sub-forum. Let me help:

The purpose of this forum is to discuss topics related to the job market involving pharmacy school expansions / competitiveness, wages, field saturation, job offering outlook(s) in specific regions, and hours offered as a new graduate or a seasoned pharmacist. This will allow organized discussions of the market as it currently is without causing clutter and over-masking the purpose of our other forums (ie pharmacy school discussions, pharmacy class, residency, etc).

Y’all have great sources and facts with pharmacy school being a sinking ship. So, what better way than express it (yet again) in 500 shades of “Doom and Gloom” here?

**Edit:** We will loosely monitor each thread as this purpose definition is broad. So let me help you figure it out. If you propose a direct doom-n-gloom-a-thon about pharmacy (you know, same thing over and over) chances are it’ll go here.

Sincerely,

Your favorite mod :)

Last edited:
You could tell people cigarettes kill half a million people each year but you are still going to see people smoking. I am sure all pre pharmacy students are aware of the situation so making a new thread about this every week seems a bit redundant.

Your right, it’s 500 shades of the same thing: “Don’t go to pharmacy school!”, “This profession is a sinking ship!”, so on and so forth.

We need people to know this, but not to clutter up all the other forms on a daily basis with the same....old......thing......Have you noticed though not as many posts of doom-n-gloom have directly been going on every other day like it used too? And how pre-pharm seems “dead” because we put a stop to the clutter?

;) work in progress.

Your right, it’s 500 shades of the same thing: “Don’t go to pharmacy school!”, “This profession is a sinking ship!”, so on and so forth.

We need people to know this, but not to clutter up all the other forms on a daily basis with the same....old......thing......Have you noticed though not as many posts of doom-n-gloom have directly been going on every other day like it used too? And how pre-pharm seems “dead” because we put a stop to the clutter?

;) work in progress.
Here’s the thing: merging threads intended for pre-pharms to the job market forum is diverting the intended audience away from even seeing this thread, since the “job market” sub is under the “pharmacy” section of SDN and not the “pre-pharmacy” section. What about creating a “job market” sub under the pre-pharm section as well?

Reactions: 3 users
Here’s the thing: merging threads intended for pre-pharms to the job market forum is diverting the intended audience away from even seeing this thread, since the “job market” sub is under the “pharmacy” section of SDN and not the “pre-pharmacy” section. What about creating a “job market” sub under the pre-pharm section as well?

Based on what extra-views I can observe, majority of pre-pharms still find themselves in the pharmacy forum. Besides, enough tactical threads targeting pre-pharms on intensions concerning school are still met with what I call tough-skin answers (which is useful) while still answering the intended questions of our students.

Job Market

Falls right into the purpose of this sub-forum. Let me help:

The purpose of this forum is to discuss topics related to the job market involving pharmacy school expansions / competitiveness, wages, field saturation, job offering outlook(s) in specific regions, and hours offered as a new graduate or a seasoned pharmacist. This will allow organized discussions of the market as it currently is without causing clutter and over-masking the purpose of our other forums (ie pharmacy school discussions, pharmacy class, residency, etc).

Y’all have great sources and facts with pharmacy school being a sinking ship. So, what better way than express it (yet again) in 500 shades of “Doom and Gloom” here?

**Edit:** We will loosely monitor each thread as this purpose definition is broad. So let me help you figure it out. If you propose a direct doom-n-gloom-a-thon about pharmacy (you know, same thing over and over) chances are it’ll go here.

Sincerely,

Your favorite mod :)
I agree all the doom and gloom threads are getting annoying. It's getting to the point where they are outnumbering threads from actual pre-pharms. However I thought this one was an interesting article that brought to light new information about pharmacy school admission. Also I thought job market forum was defined by it's title "job market", I didn't realize discussion about pharmacy school admission was also to be included under its definition. My mistake. I would like to question the need for a dedicated job market forum. Why are we the only profession on SDN with one?

All healthcare professions are vastly different on here but within the last 15 years the required degree for a pharmacist changed toward the pharmD instead of the BS pharm. This clash has caused substantial changes in pay and hours along with multiple schools opening.

To secure the info with the constant (and true) saturation and cut wages without interfering with other aspects of the forum, this sub-forum was created.

Likewise, we don’t have a WAMC thread like others on sdn do (What-Are-My-Chances thread) because no need. We have a pharmacy crisis issue not a WAMC issue (unless we consider everyone with a pulse getting accepted).

Future topics will be loosely monitored depending how the conversations go. We’d rather do this than keep a broken mega-thread.

Members don't see this ad :)
People are just angry man, and this is a good place for all of us to vent. The truly good and professional pharmacists who had experience going in and were blind sided by this crisis are getting the rug ripped out from under them. Meanwhile, the field is being flooded by new, young talent. I'm sorry to say however, the "talent" is lacking in 90% of them. They are taking lower paying, shorter hour positions, because they are desperate and know no better. And because that is all that is left! just scraps really. The new grads of today are under-prepared for the mental rigors of retail pharmacy (which is where most end up). they are almost a patient safety hazard at this point. Many of us are left with no where to turn. not everyone can be an entrepreneur, be successful, or have amazing options to turn to. This is what we are good at, and all we have. And it's going away. We worked so hard and had the best intentions. We followed the rules and maintained the highest ethical and moral standards regarding patient care. But none of that seems to matter now. Yeah, im a little bitter, can you blame me? thanks.

Reactions: 1 users
All healthcare professions are vastly different on here but within the last 15 years the required degree for a pharmacist changed toward the pharmD instead of the BS pharm. This clash has caused substantial changes in pay and hours along with multiple schools opening.

To secure the info with the constant (and true) saturation and cut wages without interfering with other aspects of the forum, this sub-forum was created.

Likewise, we don’t have a WAMC thread like others on sdn do (What-Are-My-Chances thread) because no need. We have a pharmacy crisis issue not a WAMC issue (unless we consider everyone with a pulse getting accepted).

Future topics will be loosely monitored depending how the conversations go. We’d rather do this than keep a broken mega-thread.
That makes sense. But I feel that by having a job market forum rather than a WAMC forum like every other profession, we and SDN are pretty much admitting that pharmacy is the ****tiest of all healthcare professions.

That makes sense. But I feel that by having a job market forum rather than a WAMC forum like every other profession, we and SDN are pretty much admitting that pharmacy is the ****tiest of all healthcare professions.

WAMC was tried in the past, students got mocked on picking the profession rather than having questions answered.

As for self-admittance, that is up to the users agenda to be for or against the field. There’s no denying the changes in pharmacy, so if users wish to promote a negative view that builds toxicity, it’d best be done in one sub-forum geared toward the cause than masking the toxicity throughout all the forums as it has been.

However, this is not all negative, some interesting posts are stemming in here as well. Only time will tell if users decide to bring this field down or remain neutral.

At the moment, we have a sub-forum dedicated for doom and gloom... how sad.

People are just angry man, and this is a good place for all of us to vent. The truly good and professional pharmacists who had experience going in and were blind sided by this crisis are getting the rug ripped out from under them. Meanwhile, the field is being flooded by new, young talent. I'm sorry to say however, the "talent" is lacking in 90% of them. They are taking lower paying, shorter hour positions, because they are desperate and know no better. And because that is all that is left! just scraps really. The new grads of today are under-prepared for the mental rigors of retail pharmacy (which is where most end up). they are almost a patient safety hazard at this point. Many of us are left with no where to turn. not everyone can be an entrepreneur, be successful, or have amazing options to turn to. This is what we are good at, and all we have. And it's going away. We worked so hard and had the best intentions. We followed the rules and maintained the highest ethical and moral standards regarding patient care. But none of that seems to matter now. Yeah, im a little bitter, can you blame me? thanks.

It takes a lot of talent to handle the toxic environment of retail pharmacy.
I think many are under-prepared for this.
I still don't know how I'm still alive doing this.

Yes it is sad we have this forum, however it is the reality we face. Doom and Gloom is already upon the profession. It will just be a slow downward spiral from here. I only say that because I see nothing coming to our rescue of any significance. Look at it this way, the pharmacist is the only one suffering here.the schools are cashing in, EVEN the Government is raking in huge cash on their 6-9% interest loans. (which is ridiculously high). The big companies are enjoying the ability to drop salaries and do whatever they want with us to save money, right? so why would anyone stop this circle of money making? BOP, APHA have no ability to interfere with this level of capitalism, they are not powerful enough. end of our story. In the end it was all about money.

Reactions: 1 users
National associations in pharmacy (APhA, AMCP, ACCP, and ASHP) are not addressing the joblessness crisis or feel it is their responsibility to do so. The same goes for the Accreditation Council of Pharmacy Education (ACPE), which reports student graduation outcomes rather than the specific jobs these graduates are employed in. State pharmacist organizations preach "action," but nothing is done about the oversaturation of pharmacists and accountability of the quality of pharmacy education. The lack of accountability in pharmacy, even within educational institutions, is staggering.
You are right @Secret_Informant , ACPE does not assess job placement, just adequately meeting its educational standards. Also, in most states the Boards of Pharmacy do not register pharmacy schools so they cannot stop them from opening by denying them a permit.
Students are not allowed to speak anything negative about the profession, especially at USFCOP
I would argue that the best case study of multiple parties trying to prevent a pharmacy school from opening was in Florida at USF COP. Even when a governor, state legislature, and state department of education all do drastic things to prevent a new pharmacy school from opening it can still happen. This is why I predicted that Larkin would open and become accredited and accept students as intended, back in 2015.

As an undergrad in South Florida at the time and applicant to NSU Davie and LECOM Bradenton (among others) for Fall 2010 I was very vigilant about USF's intent to start a pharmacy school which started in 2009...
  1. USF's proposal got approved by the Board of Governors because they did not feel it would be a burden on the State's budget.
  2. The Legislature voted against funding the new pharmacy school because they felt it would be burdensome.
  3. USF raised $1 million privately to keep the proposal viable.
  4. To reduce costs they offered to put it on their budding USF Polytechnic campus in Lakeland.
  5. On the last day of the legislative session the legislature authorized $10 million for startup and $5 million for construction on the planned starchitect Santiago Calatrava designed new construction campus in Lakeland.
  6. I recall that the state's department of education issued guidance that they had concern over students being able to find enough rotations in Lakeland (especially when LECOM Bradenton was considered).
  7. The Governor vetoed the $10 million for USF Poly Pharmacy [polypharmacy?] in Lakeland.
  8. The proposed pharmacy campus was then moved back to Tampa (with no long term funding or buildings) in time for ACPE inspection.
  9. USF was able to get Pre-Candidate accreditation status from ACPE even though they had no permanent facilities.
  10. The legislature felt slighted and decided to force USF to divest of Lakeland to spin it off as Florida Polytechnic U., which would be it's own institution in the State University System of Florida.
  11. 'Stuck' with a Pre-Candidate school that was ready to admit students but could not, the legislature appropriated $3 million for startup in Tampa.
  12. USF in Tampa opened was fully accredited in 2014 and graduated its first class in 2015.
Pharmacy rotation assignments change while students are enrolled within pharmacy school for unforeseen reasons, which does not allow students to have meaningful experiences to market themselves.
Good point @Secret_Informant . Fortunately the inability to place students in APPEs or complaints about such are under ACPE's purview, but that would be at least 3-4 years after a new school took in its first class, for example.

Last edited:

Hello there,

I think I am more than ready for the mental rigors of retail pharmacy as I have lived home free for more than 5 years, so I think I can take angry granpas yelling at me over insurance not covering their erection pills everyday or getting robbed at gun point a few times. Yes we are ready to work hard for scraps because that is all that is left. Many people that go into pharmacy have literally no other choices. look at all the Chem, bio, psych, religious studies degrees that were unable to find a job, they are all funneling into pharmacy for a hope of a paying job as tehy have spent years unemployed or underemployed with their undergrad degrees and rightly view pharmacy as a way out. I have no problem working for 30 USD an hour or 60k if that is what I have to take to secure employment. Getting a piece of expensive paper is what students do, getting a paying pharmacist job is a PRIVILEGE not a RIGHT. The school only guarantee a piece of paper with your name on it and pharmD on it. Even for people that have worked as a pharmacist for decades you need to accept the fact that you will be replaced or have to reapply and re interview for your current job. You had your time to earn money.

I think if you had the PRIVILEGE of working for a pharmacist for more than 20 years you should have paid off your loans completely and saved up enough money to live for the rest of your life at a minimum. Any other situation is financial negligence and you need to accept the consequences of your actions which may include homelessness, bankruptcy and repossession. I already have enough money saved up to last the rest of my life HINT I live frugally. All the pharmacists complaining are just greedy, lazy or a combination of both. The gravy days are over. Accept it. You made your bed. Now sleep in it.

Last edited:
Hello there,

I think I am more than ready for the mental rigors of retail pharmacy as I have lived home free for more than 5 years, so I think I can take angry granpas yelling at me over insurance not covering their erection pills everyday or getting robbed at gun point a few times. Yes we are ready to work hard for scraps because that is all that is left. Many people that go into pharmacy have literally no other choices. look at all the Chem, bio, psych, religious studies degrees that were unable to find a job, they are all funneling into pharmacy for a hope of a paying job as tehy have spent years unemployed or underemployed with their undergrad degrees and rightly view pharmacy as a way out. I have no problem working for 30 USD an hour or 60k if that is what I have to take to secure employment. Getting a piece of expensive paper is what students do, getting a paying pharmacist job is a PRIVILEGE not a RIGHT. The school only guarantee a piece of paper with your name on it and pharmD on it. Even for people that have worked as a pharmacist for decades you need to accept the fact that you will be replaced or have to reapply and re interview for your current job. You had your time to earn money.

I think if you had the PRIVILEGE of working for a pharmacist for more than 20 years you should have paid off your loans completely and saved up enough money to live for the rest of your life at a minimum. Any other situation is financial negligence and you need to accept the consequences of your actions which may include homelessness, bankruptcy and repossession. I already have enough money saved up to last the rest of my life HINT I live frugally. All the pharmacists complaining are just greedy, lazy or a combination of both. The gravy days are over. Accept it. You made your bed. Now sleep in it.

Cool Story bro! so hey listen im taking the MPJE for Texas in 2 months, what would you say is the best material to use? thanks.

Cool Story bro! so hey listen im taking the MPJE for Texas in 2 months, what would you say is the best material to use? thanks.
The best material for a law test?

Why the actual laws. All the laws can be found online. I suggest reading the laws word for word and remembering the important parts.

The best material for a law test?

Why the actual laws. All the laws can be found online. I suggest reading the laws word for word and remembering the important parts.

i have them by proto pass, i have everything. The problem is, i started this a year ago and i dont think multi state licensure is a good thing anymore. For me anyway, im a retail pharmacist right? realistically, My chances at a job are declining fast. I just dont want to put the time and effort into this only to move across country, again for another crappy job. Does that make sense? My wife is really pressuring me because I spent a grand on the application a year ago, ya know? but im exhausted and the field is dead. Im assuming texas is extremely saturated like any other state right? where would i realistically be working if i landed a job there?

i have them by proto pass, i have everything. The problem is, i started this a year ago and i dont think multi state licensure is a good thing anymore. For me anyway, im a retail pharmacist right? realistically, My chances at a job are declining fast. I just dont want to put the time and effort into this only to move across country, again for another crappy job. Does that make sense? My wife is really pressuring me because I spent a grand on the application a year ago, ya know? but im exhausted and the field is dead. Im assuming texas is extremely saturated like any other state right? where would i realistically be working if i landed a job there?
Have you considered studying a more indemand major such as a MD, DO, PA, NP or comp. sci? boot camps are very good and my friend just finished a 3 month one and got a job paying 90k and his undergrad was poly sci. Yes, the retail setting is deteriorating quickly and the situation will continue to degrade significantly. Just recently I heard a story about a VERY rural pharmacy having over 100 job applicants for one FE pharmacist job.

There are a few truths I would like to add:

1. Pharmacy rotation assignments change while students are enrolled within pharmacy school for unforeseen reasons, which does not allow students to have meaningful experiences to market themselves.
  2. Students are not allowed to speak anything negative about the profession, especially at USFCOP. This "all positive" mentality forces students to not learn at their potential.
  3. The national trend is: the NAPLEX scores decrease while the number of students increase.
  4. The MPJE scores vary by state, but the passing percentage nationally is decreasing as well. Pharmacy students need to pass both the NAPLEX and the MPJE for most states to become licensed. Even after licensure is achieved, getting a job and establishing a career is an uphill battle.
  5. Schools of pharmacy are more interested in promoting their reputation than in helping you promote your reputation as a pharmacist.
  6. National associations in pharmacy (APhA, AMCP, ACCP, and ASHP) are not addressing the joblessness crisis or feel it is their responsibility to do so. The same goes for the Accreditation Council of Pharmacy Education (ACPE), which reports student graduation outcomes rather than the specific jobs these graduates are employed in. State pharmacist organizations preach "action," but nothing is done about the oversaturation of pharmacists and accountability of the quality of pharmacy education. The lack of accountability in pharmacy, even within educational institutions, is staggering.
  7. Pharmacy schools are ranked via US News and World Report based on a peer-ranking system (in other words, how people feel about the school) rather than a job outcomes based system.
  8. Drug shortages reported by the Food and Drug Administration are extremely high, forcing the creation of new drugs, challenging hospitals to do more with even less than before. Drug shortages seem to be more of a priority for practicing pharmacists than training their own personnel (without a residency).
  9. Pharmacist Provider Status will only allow reimbursement for specific services (ambulatory care and cognitive services for Ohio). The sales pitch is to create entrepreneurial opportunities for pharmacists to practice at the top of their license, not jobs. Even at its most positive, Pharmacist Provider Status alone will not address the joblessness crisis pharmacy created. Who will have the money to be entrepreneurs when their student loan debts are higher than $200,000?
To add about rotations, there is no structure to the rotations. unlike Medical school. where students start at a primary care level. ad Provider status isnot entrepreneurial because a pharmacist cannot diagnose a patient and cannot practice independently. so Provider status means you get reimbursed for ambulatory practices. But reimbursement is still low even lower than Primary Care Docs

This is a good article that echos many of the sentiments often shared on this forum. If you want to “help people” by becoming a pharmacist, please think twice about attending pharmacy school because the career is a sinking ship. Consider these points made in the article:

1) About 83% of all pharmacy school applicants get in somewhere. Sheesh, it’s about as difficult to get into pharmacy school as it is to go to a community college...

2) This quote: “When I graduated in 2001 the running joke was if you have a license and a pulse pharmacies throw money at you to hire you. Now it should be “Do you have a pulse and an approved loan application? We’ll take you!”

3) Even if you get lucky and get a job upon graduation that pays $120k, this is pre-tax income and you’re going to have a massive loan debt and be tied to paying it off over the next 15-20 years of your career so please do the math there.

4) 5+% of the profession (15,000+) have signed a #changepharmacy petition which should tell you exactly what you need to know about this profession.
So you're saying anyone can get in and anyone can get a high-paying job? What's not to like

So you're saying anyone can get in and anyone can get a high-paying job? What's not to like

No that's not what he said at all. Whooooosh.

Yes it is sad we have this forum, however it is the reality we face. Doom and Gloom is already upon the profession. It will just be a slow downward spiral from here. I only say that because I see nothing coming to our rescue of any significance. Look at it this way, the pharmacist is the only one suffering here.the schools are cashing in, EVEN the Government is raking in huge cash on their 6-9% interest loans. (which is ridiculously high). The big companies are enjoying the ability to drop salaries and do whatever they want with us to save money, right? so why would anyone stop this circle of money making? BOP, APHA have no ability to interfere with this level of capitalism, they are not powerful enough. end of our story. In the end it was all about money.
This is really true about pharmacy- EVERYONE else in the chain profits from our misfortune. Chains get cheap help, schools get their massive tuition and the government makes bank on the loan interest. And it looks like they'll keep doing it till it's no longer a viable "profession" at all.

(my 15 min break)

we should create a "Who Wanna Fight With A Iron's Fist Mod" sub forum! Should be fun!

*Disclaimer: this is a JOKE! (sigh)