General Admissions & OTCAS Pre-med switching to OT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lilmiscassie92

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is my fourth year, but I won't be done until this fall. I will have my bachelor's in psychology after this term as well some upper division bio courses, a year of chem, and a semester of physics. I started losing the passion for some of these science courses like o chem and physics, and after shadowing a physician I quickly learned it's not what I really wanted to do. I have a younger cousin with Autism who I watched grow up, and I have always been more interested in psychology than anything else. My younger cousin went and saw an OT at Touro here in Vegas, and working with children on the spectrum has always been an interest of mine. I know with OT I would have more time with the patient compared to a PA or MD, and I would find the job more rewarding.

However, I'm worried because I'm making this switch so late in my undergrad career. I would only need to take an extra semester, but I would need to get all my observation hours in. I was going to start calling places next month, as I've learned Vegas has a lot of places to volunteer at that have OTs. I'm worried schools aren't going to accept me though because of how late I changed my mind. I also have a few withdraws on my transcript when I was changing my mind about continuing with my double major in biology and the pre-med route, which included organic chem and physics 2 (it was a gradual decision that I thought about for awhile before dropping the second major altogether).

3.767 overall GPA and science GPA of 3.54
- 118 hours in a pediatric ER
- 6 months at the front desk of another hospital
- member of a pre-health club. I put in about 12-15 hours a semester through fundraisers, special events, and volunteering at assisted living centers for 4 semesters.
- 3 semesters in a research lab on emotional intelligence
- over 30 hours shadowing a GP

Awards:
- International Dean's List Society
- Invited for Phi Kappa Phi
- Psi Chi

Members don't see this ad.

This is my fourth year, but I won't be done until this fall. I will have my bachelor's in psychology after this term as well some upper division bio courses, a year of chem, and a semester of physics. I started losing the passion for some of these science courses like o chem and physics, and after shadowing a physician I quickly learned it's not what I really wanted to do. I have a younger cousin with Autism who I watched grow up, and I have always been more interested in psychology than anything else. My younger cousin went and saw an OT at Touro here in Vegas, and working with children on the spectrum has always been an interest of mine. I know with OT I would have more time with the patient compared to a PA or MD, and I would find the job more rewarding.

However, I'm worried because I'm making this switch so late in my undergrad career. I would only need to take an extra semester, but I would need to get all my observation hours in. I was going to start calling places next month, as I've learned Vegas has a lot of places to volunteer at that have OTs. I'm worried schools aren't going to accept me though because of how late I changed my mind. I also have a few withdraws on my transcript when I was changing my mind about continuing with my double major in biology and the pre-med route, which included organic chem and physics 2 (it was a gradual decision that I thought about for awhile before dropping the second major altogether).

3.767 overall GPA and science GPA of 3.54
- 118 hours in a pediatric ER
- 6 months at the front desk of another hospital
- member of a pre-health club. I put in about 12-15 hours a semester through fundraisers, special events, and volunteering at assisted living centers for 4 semesters.
- 3 semesters in a research lab on emotional intelligence
- over 30 hours shadowing a GP

Awards:
- International Dean's List Society
- Invited for Phi Kappa Phi
- Psi Chi

-----------------
If you are planning to apply during the next cycle, I do not foresee any reason why an OT school would not consider you based on your stats/experience. Not everyone knows exactly what they want to do right away. I took a year of business courses because I tried to convince myself to do something that only required a 4-year degree and felt pressure from my family to choose that major. That was during my junior year, a time when I probably should have had a better idea of what I wanted to do with my life. I shadowed a few OTs but remained concerned about getting accepted and the cost of grad school. I finally just decided to go for it. I only really buckled down and started shadowing OTs as often as I could within the 6 months just prior to applying. I was able to accumulate just under 100 hours in 3 settings. I am also majoring in psychology and find it fascinating. This winter was my first time ever applying to OT school and while it was very stressful, it was totally worth it because I recently learned that I was accepted. If you truly want to study occupational therapy then convey your passion for the field in your essay, shadow as many OTs as you can in a variety of settings (develop relationships with them too - many of them are very helpful mentors), gather those sparkling recommendation letters, and sleep well the night before you take the GRE. Have confidence in yourself! :)

Reactions: 1 user
Dont worry about it brah.

Get them OT hours in and double check the prereqs needed as different OT schools have different requirements etc.

Go to a public school too.

Members don't see this ad :)
1. Do not worry about any switches "late" in your undergraduate career. Many people are making this career shift in their 40s-50s. Doing so as an undergraduate - maybe taking 1-2 years off after undergrad and working in healthcare will only make you a stronger applicant. From your GPA and other stats you seem like a very solid candidate.

2. I love OT, and I think it's a wonderful field. It's at a great intersection of medicine and psychology and meets the need of helping others and making a decent salary. I'm curious: if you are pre med and you wanted to be a medical doctor why not choose to be a physician's assistant? That is a career path more similar to medical practice as a physician, and, they make about 30k more a year than the average OT. Like OTs Pa's are in great demand. If you have the pre-requisite coursework done for PA programs, and you're interested in the MD/PA approach why not pursue that path? You will incur a similar amount of debt and make considerably more money.

I have a few withdraws on my transcript and don't really want to take organic chemistry. I have a list of schools in mind that don't require it, and I was considering applying to PA schools as well. I just worry I won't be competitive since I have a few W's in pre-requisite courses for medical school.

W's won't hurt you if you can explain why you dropped the course. Overly busy with volunteering? With family problems? with a courseload you had not anticipated?
If I had wanted to be an MD, and I was not afraid of organic chemistry, I would apply for the PA program personally. You'll make a considerable amount of money more *and* you will get to deal with patients on the level that is more analogous to how a physician deals with them.
I'm curious to know how much more the pay scale for a PA would be? When I did my research, OT's in Nevada make around 100k. From what other sources said, they make around 85-90k depending on the state. A lot of sites say PA's make around 90k as well.

20k difference isn't all that much if you're comparing it to something like a doctor's salary (multi-6 figures). It's all a matter of perspective. If you can live within a certain means and save, 80k is a ton of money.

20k difference isn't all that much if you're comparing it to something like a doctor's salary (multi-6 figures). It's all a matter of perspective. If you can live within a certain means and save, 80k is a ton of money.

right? as someone currently living on less than $30k, $80k sounds like heaven!

Reactions: 2 users

I was thinking the same thing! I've spent the last several years teaching and working in nonprofits. 80k looks damn good (even if I am paying back loans)!!

My point exactly. I've been living on the same for about 5 years now. I can't wrap my mind around how much I could do with 80k if that's an option. For sure, living in the real world on a small amount of money teaches you some great skills about how to use money wisely and not accrue debt so that when you actually have money, you can get much more mileage out of it. It also teaches you to appreciate what you work for!

Remember that these numbers are averages. A few variables in your case:

1) Males make an average of $5000 more than females (unfair but true)
2) OT's are currently pushing for new graduates to participate in salary negotiation, which hasn't happened historically in the field (it makes it better for everyone)
3) Many new graduates tend away from the higher paying settings because they're respectively less desirable for many new OT's

I agree that joining the OT community for the money is unwise. But those starting numbers are plastic.

@Kidamnesiac: Good points. I was only encouraging the person to consider being a PA if that is what they wanted. I think trying to get a job in the healthcare professions (whatever the profession is) just for the cash is a bad reason to do it, agreed.
*IF* all things are equal, and you like PA, they pay 20-30% more and they have as long as an education as MOT's do. I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone.

Absolutely. Of course, it also requires almost across the board something like a year of hands on healthcare experience, which also requires another healthcare degree (at least that's how it is in NC). But if that's what you want to do, it's a fantastic career path. Not a ton of responsibility like a doctor, less school time, and the money/job security is about as good as it gets for a mid level.