Practicing in Europe with a US degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CharlestonToothCompany

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This may be the wrong forum, so let me know.

I am a US trained orthodontist who has been licensed for 17 years. In addition to my US citizenship, I also hold EU citizenship. After having done the ownership thing and plenty of corporate gigs, I am looking for a change.

Does anyone know if it is possible to have a US degree recognized for practice in Europe and if so, which countries?

Also, since, as an orthodontist, I have not done a restoration or extraction in 18 years, I would have little chance of passing a clinical dentistry exam. I fear it is not like learning to ride a bike again!
Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You shouldn’t have a problem, have your diploma, transcript and specialization ready, depending on what country you’re planing on moving you’re probably have to translate to their native language. English for most part is acceptable as a second language. EU actually makes it easier to validate a diploma there than the US, the problem with some countries in EU is the bureaucracy, the time for them to evaluate if you’re good to go or you need to go back to school and study something extra can range from a couple of months to 2 years. You want to do something different I say go for it, worst case cenário you can always come back to the US.

Reactions: 1 user