Practicing in Austria

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sniperr007

Reaction score
I am a medical student from Nigeria. I will be done with medical school in 2021.

I will like to do my specialization in Austria and also practice there as a doctor.

Please. What are the requirements and necessary steps.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I am a medical student from Nigeria. I will be done with medical school in 2021.

I will like to do my specialization in Austria and also practice there as a doctor.

Please. What are the requirements and necessary steps.

Thank you

Not 100% sure with Austria. But I believe it's similar to Germany (I'm currently finishing my paperwork to start residency here).

I will describe the process in Germany and hope that might help you.

You need to get an Approbation in order to practice medicine. For this you need

1) Language requirement via a test called Fachsprachprüfung (oral doctor/patient and doctor/doctor communication skills inGerman)

2) General medical test called Kenntnisprüfung. Imagine Step 2CS and CK but it's oral and in German obviously.

After passing both tests you get the license and can apply to a residency spot. There is no matchmaking or ranking system. You just go to any hospital with a vacancy and apply for employment.

Residencies last for at least 5 years (can take up to 7 or so) and sometimes you have to switch to another hospital to continue your training. It's an open end system. After you meet certain requirements you can apply for "board certification" to make an analogy

The hardest part is the language barrier. It took me around 10 months to go from no german to B2-C1. The Fachsprachrpüfung is based on C1.

Reactions: 1 user
Not 100% sure with Austria. But I believe it's similar to Germany (I'm currently finishing my paperwork to start residency here).

1) Language requirement via a test called Fachsprachprüfung (oral doctor/patient and doctor/doctor communication skills inGerman)

2) General medical test called Kenntnisprüfung. Imagine Step 2CS and CK but it's oral and in German obviously.

After passing both tests you get the license and can apply to a residency spot. There is no matchmaking or ranking system. You just go to any hospital with a vacancy and apply for employment.

Residencies last for at least 5 years (can take up to 7 or so) and sometimes you have to switch to another hospital to continue your training. It's an open end system. After you meet certain requirements you can apply for "board certification" to make an analogy

The hardest part is the language barrier. It took me around 10 months to go from no german to B2-C1. The Fachsprachrpüfung is based on C1.
Ist der Vorgang anders, wenn man ein "residency" in den Vereinigten Staaten schon beendet hat, und möchte nach Deutschland umziehen um dort auszuüben?

Members don't see this ad :)

In regards to language, do you reckon you can achieve that without going to a German speaking country?
What things did you do to achieve that level?

Ist der Vorgang anders, wenn man ein "residency" in den Vereinigten Staaten schon beendet hat, und möchte nach Deutschland umziehen um dort auszuüben?

Entschuldigung für die Verspätung! Ich bin nicht oft in dieser Webseit. Also.. Zuerst brauchst du deine Approbation. Dafür musst du 2 Prufüngen ablegen. Der Fachsprachprüfung bzw. Kenntnisprüfung. Wenn du diese Prüfungen bestanden hast, kannst du versuchen, um diene Ausbildung als Facharzt von der USA gleich zu setzen (durch einen dritten Prüfung. Der Facharztprüfung). Aber ich bin nicht ganz sicher wie dieser letzte Schritt funktioniert. Es wäre besser wenn du mit der Regierung von irgenwelchem Bundesland telefonieren könntest. Wegen Corona, sind Sie im Momeng nicht einfach erreichbar.

Ich empfehle dir, in Facebook nach Gruppen zu suchen. Es gibt viele Gruppen, die den gesamten Prozess durchlaufen, und viele Leute dort können deine Fragen beantworten

In regards to language, do you reckon you can achieve that without going to a German speaking country?
What things did you do to achieve that level?

Hey, sorry for the late response! I don't check this webpage often. You can try, but it will take a while. I went from scratch to B1 in my home country in 4 Months. However, B2 and C1 might take waaay much more if you aren't fully exposed to the language.

I mostly paid a private tutor to set the pace and to serve as a guide. Then it was mostly self taught up til B1. For B2 and C1 I attended part time courses in Germany (landed a full time PhD spot, so I couldn't do an intenaive german course).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Boarded (and bored) Emergency Doc living part of the year in Austria looking for opportunities. Please feel free to reply or PM with thoughts or suggestions. Not currently a German speaker but its on the list.

Boarded (and bored) Emergency Doc living part of the year in Austria looking for opportunities. Please feel free to reply or PM with thoughts or suggestions. Not currently a German speaker but its on the list.
You got your Approbation bzw. Berufserlaubnis without speaking German? If I remember correctly the process is similar as in Germany, so you would need (at least) the Fachsprachprüfung.