Practicing as board eligible

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

throw_away_brain

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Need some serious guidance here.

devastated and lost. I've just found out I failed boards for a second time now for neurology and am at an impasse on what to do. Here are some details:

Presently I'm early in attending hood in an extraordinarily noncompetitive subspecialty, even by neuro standards. and every job posting I come across is seeking BE or BC; I have yet to come across any postings requiring board certification. And these postings are at major academic centers too. Unfortunately, while private positions exist, they are not readily posted or advertised. But it is a highly sought after, scarce subspecialty

I completely understand the default recommendation is to get certified. However I'm in the situation of 2 failures despite avid studying and good performance on qbanks, immense toll on my mental health (an ongoing process to which I am now seeking professional help, as its affecting all aspects of work and home life in addition to this test anxiety) and a toll on my family where my spouse has sacrificed time to single-parent these past two years to give me more study time. With a busy faculty work schedule and another child soon to join us, I just don't know if I put everyone through it again with even less time to study vs just remain board eligible.

Basically my main question is, does this situation sound like I am really shooting myself in the foot by deferring taking it again, or would it truly make no difference since no available positions require BC? I'll clarify, I'm happy in my current position with no immediate plans to look for a new job, but it may be a consideration within the next few years as we look to put down roots

Thanks so much, and even happy to talk privately with anyone who can help with any advice or insight, particularly practicing neurologists who either are - board eligible and if this has made any impact on your career, or just has good advice on navigating this. thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

From my limited experience of job searching, many places are okay with BE or BC. You can apply, be offered a position, and work as a BE neurologist. But many places require that you pass the boards within x number of years. I've seen places that require passing within a year of taking the position and other places that require passing within 3 years. I've only found this out by asking the hospitals directly what they really mean by BE. They were very open on explaining what they expect so I would just ask.

The other thing to keep in mind is I don’t think “board eligibility” lasts forever.

Members don't see this ad :)
Take the equivalent of them in the osteopathic board. It has a higher pass rate. It's now open to both MD and DO. Employers and insurance can't discriminate based on law. Forget about the old exams and the ABPN and get on with your life

Reactions: 2 users
I have come across practicing neurologists who are not board certified. So it just depends on the by-laws and regulations of the facility. From what I gather, not being board certified is less of a problem if you are strictly an outpatient neurologist.