POSTBAC IRTA NIH 2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kaiser_1

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

Has anyone applied to the IRTA post bac at the NIH for this year? For former post bacs, how was you experience and what were some of the challenges you faced during your time there?

I had an interview today for Bethesda, MD. Has anyone ever worked there? Please share your experience and what you did! Any advice for prospective post bacs?

Members don't see this ad.

How was your interview? I have one too next week. Any advice??
It was amazing! I was asked a lot of questions about long term goals and what my research interest are. I'm an MPH student so fortunately my research background aligned with the kind of research the lab deals with. I'd say it's a hit or miss. This was my first interview and I have a second one at the end of this month.

Are you an undergrad or are you looking to apply to med school after completing the post bac?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I am an undergrad. I plan to apply to med school after completing the post bacc.
I am super excited about the interview, and also little nervous, because I have zero experiences with the lab I will be interviewing with. Do you live in the area, or did you have to travel far to interview?

Yes, I am an undergrad. I plan to apply to med school after completing the post bacc.
I am super excited about the interview, and also little nervous, because I have zero experiences with the lab I will be interviewing with. Do you live in the area, or did you have to travel far to interview?
No, this interview was conducted over the phone-- I probably would've stuttered had it been in person lol. I have super bad anxiety but if I had to travel, I wouldn't mind it. (Gotta face your fears!)

Given your science background, I don't anticipate it being bad that you don't have any experience. You can always tell them what you're looking for and hope to gain out of the post bacc. This gives them an idea of how important this experience is to you and how you plan on applying it to a clinical setting.

First, I wouldn't be shy about talking about your own goals when you interview or start your position. For example, if you don't want to be in a technician type role and want to work on developing your own project, then make sure to communicate that with your PI.

Second thing, there's TONS of workshops/seminars throughout the year covering everything from how to apply to med school, how to balance work and life, wellness, scientific techniques, personal and professional development, etc. They are AMAZING. Like actually. Make time for them and you will grow so much.

Third, build a relationship with OITE. They have academic counceling, wellness/personal counceling, mock interviews, etc. They are your allies and can help you get into med school or help with any issues you have in life/lab. This is one of your best advantages of being at the NIH. They are there to help and fight for you.

Sign up for as many mock interviews as you can. I think I did three and come time for my real med school interviews, I was relaxed and had so much fun! Other candidates were incredibly nervous and I could tell us NIH folk had a lot more practice.

Good luck!

Reactions: 5 users
First, I wouldn't be shy about talking about your own goals when you interview or start your position. For example, if you don't want to be in a technician type role and want to work on developing your own project, then make sure to communicate that with your PI.

Second thing, there's TONS of workshops/seminars throughout the year covering everything from how to apply to med school, how to balance work and life, wellness, scientific techniques, personal and professional development, etc. They are AMAZING. Like actually. Make time for them and you will grow so much.

Third, build a relationship with OITE. They have academic counceling, wellness/personal counceling, mock interviews, etc. They are your allies and can help you get into med school or help with any issues you have in life/lab. This is one of your best advantages of being at the NIH. They are there to help and fight for you.

Sign up for as many mock interviews as you can. I think I did three and come time for my real med school interviews, I was relaxed and had so much fun! Other candidates were incredibly nervous and I could tell us NIH folk had a lot more practice.

Good luck!
Wow, thank you so much! This has been very helpful. :)
Do you think the post bacc can be helpful for MPH students who are not interested in pursuing medical school? If so, in what ways?

Wow, thank you so much! This has been very helpful. :)
Do you think the post bacc can be helpful for MPH students who are not interested in pursuing medical school? If so, in what ways?
Absolutely. They have academic and career counseling for all fields, I just used the example of med school.

So they can help you find jobs, a school to get your PhD, help you with applications to either, help you make and build your resume, etc.

Let me know if you have any other questions :)

Reactions: 1 user

Just curious, do you mean that you won’t start your applications until after you’ve already finished with your fellowship, or you’ll begin applying towards the end of your contract?

Just curious, do you mean that you won’t start your applications until after you’ve already finished with your fellowship, or you’ll begin applying towards the end of your contract?
I meant I will be applying in the middle of the fellowship. Which will not be the upcoming cycle, but the next one

._. Anyone else get an invite to actually visit their PI’s lab in bethesda for an interview with the lab?

Members don't see this ad :)
Still waiting :)
Hopefully this week or the next! Do you start in July or August? Also, how long did they take to get back to you?
Just be be patient! I am sure you will get in. It took them a month to get back to me. I start in June

Thank you so much! Did you get an invitation?
I have a final interview/presentation with the entire lab at the end of this week. So I’ll know soon haha.

If that, for whatever reason, doesnt work out, i did have another lab contact me expressing interest.

So how exactly have you all been going about finding housing?
Thats exactly what im trying to figure out. The stipend does not seem like it will cover the cost of living anywhere near bethesda...unless I sell my car...
It seems finding a roomate is all but required.

Current NIH postbac here chiming in! The application/interview process for a postbac is individual to every lab, so you really won't be able to gain much information through comparisons here.

Some info about the stipend + housing:

1. The stipend IS enough to live. You will probably not come out with a profit, but you can afford to live comfortably (not in luxury). All of my stipend is going to rent, food, and applications.
2. I highly recommend a roommate, but if you find the right location and budget you can definitely live on your own.
3. Live by the metro if you can! The NIH will subsidize your metro, and that a nice bit of $ every month.

** Look at the ClubPCR Yahoo listserv. This has a ton of other postbacs looking for a listing housing!! Yahoo! Groups

If you have any questions, please let me know! I'd be happy to answer whatever I could!

Current NIH postbac here chiming in! The application/interview process for a postbac is individual to every lab, so you really won't be able to gain much information through comparisons here.

Some info about the stipend + housing:

1. The stipend IS enough to live. You will probably not come out with a profit, but you can afford to live comfortably (not in luxury). All of my stipend is going to rent, food, and applications.
2. I highly recommend a roommate, but if you find the right location and budget you can definitely live on your own.
3. Live by the metro if you can! The NIH will subsidize your metro, and that a nice bit of $ every month.

** Look at the ClubPCR Yahoo listserv. This has a ton of other postbacs looking for a listing housing!! Yahoo! Groups

If you have any questions, please let me know! I'd be happy to answer whatever I could!

What areas would you suggest for living alone? Everything that i looked for through apartments.com seems to be 1k at minimum. With a rent that high and other standard bills I dont see how you could afford it. I know some institutes pay a little more but for the most part its around 30k - 35k I believe. Maybe im going wrong with how much im budgeting for taxes on the stipend?

What areas would you suggest for living alone? Everything that i looked for through apartments.com seems to be 1k at minimum. With a rent that high and other standard bills I dont see how you could afford it. I know some institutes pay a little more but for the most part its around 30k - 35k I believe. Maybe im going wrong with how much im budgeting for taxes on the stipend?
You need a roommate

Hey guys! I'm a current postbac at main campus that's headed to med school in June.

If anyone would like to buy furniture, MCAT books, or a sublet until August let me know. It'll give you time to find a place if you come in the summer!

Furniture is only 2 years old :) I'd like to avoid moving it if I can.

I live right in downtown Bethesda in a great building with a pool, rooftop, and lounge. It's a 1 bdrm apt with no roommates.

PM me for details

Did anyone talk to other students (post docs etc.) to get an idea of how good the PI is to work with? I am really considering the program but there are SO MANY PIs. How do you choose?

Are there any difference in resources between the Bethesda and Frederick campus? ( in terms of advisors, interview/application help, etc)

I'm currently a postbac at the NIH Bethesda campus and was just recently renewed for a 3rd year, allowing me to continue my research through this application cycle. I can write a more detailed response later, but for now, here's a little something:

There are so many labs to work in and PIs to work with at the NIH, so you'll hear about a wide variety of experiences (some good, some bad, some meh). Personally, I've had a great experience here and the time has passed by quickly. My lab has been remarkably flexible and understanding in regard to me studying for the MCAT and going through the med school application process. Furthermore, there are so many resources at OITE to help you prepare for a successful application cycle (personal statement course/review, MD and MD-PhD application reviews, solo mock interviews, group mock interviews, medical school and graduate school panels...etc).

I'm currently a postbac at the NIH Bethesda campus and was just recently renewed for a 3rd year, allowing me to continue my research through this application cycle. I can write a more detailed response later, but for now, here's a little something:

There are so many labs to work in and PIs to work with at the NIH, so you'll hear about a wide variety of experiences (some good, some bad, some meh). Personally, I've had a great experience here and the time has passed by quickly. My lab has been remarkably flexible and understanding in regard to me studying for the MCAT and going through the med school application process. Furthermore, there are so many resources at OITE to help you prepare for a successful application cycle (personal statement course/review, MD and MD-PhD application reviews, solo mock interviews, group mock interviews, medical school and graduate school panels...etc).

Why did you do a third postbacc year? Are you planning to apply MD/PhD?

Hey guys! I'm a current postbac at main campus that's headed to med school in June.

If anyone would like to buy furniture, MCAT books, or a sublet until August let me know. It'll give you time to find a place if you come in the summer!

Furniture is only 2 years old :) I'd like to avoid moving it if I can.

I live right in downtown Bethesda in a great building with a pool, rooftop, and lounge. It's a 1 bdrm apt with no roommates.

PM me for details

What is the rent like at your Bethesda apartment?

Why did you do a third postbacc year? Are you planning to apply MD/PhD?

Yes, I am applying MD/PhD in this current cycle. I am staying for a third year because I enjoy working in this lab, would have more time to complete some projects, and would have stable employment to help abate the ungodly expenses associated with this application process.

Hey everyone, I'm moving from Minnesota to Maryland for the Post-bac program in Bethesda. I've never been there and I don't have a lot of time to move. I don't even know where to began looking for housing. Could you post some resources?

Are there for credit classes you can take at the NIH ? I’ve heard some stuff about it . Otherwise, does anyone know of students who take 1 or 2 classes while working, at GW?

Are there for credit classes you can take at the NIH ? I’ve heard some stuff about it . Otherwise, does anyone know of students who take 1 or 2 classes while working, at GW?

You can take courses for graded credit through the NIH's FAES graduate education program. Your lab can sponsor you for 1-2 courses and they're usually taught by post-docs and sometimes tenured NIH investigators.

You can take courses for graded credit through the NIH's FAES graduate education program. Your lab can sponsor you for 1-2 courses and they're usually taught by post-docs and sometimes tenured NIH investigators.
Thanks! Do you know if there’s a separate transcript or if the credit has to be transferred back to your undergrad school? Also how are these courses seen by med schools ?

There's a separate transcript, and I don't think they need to be transferred to your UG school unless you still need the credits to graduate. Med schools would consider this post-bacc gpa, and completely separate from your undergrad gpa.