Post-match blues

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jlzp

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I've matched!

Even though it wasn't my top choice (5th, in fact), where I'm going is acceptable (I don't think the name of the program is important...it's at a decent categorical program at a flagship academic medical center in a metropolitain area) .

I wanted to know- are there people out there that have matched and now are experiencing a "post-match" depression of sorts...similar to making a "big" purchase or buying a house... or is it just me who is a bit disappointed not getting matched at one of my more desired places?

JP:(

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by jlzp
So, I've matched!

Even though it wasn't my top choice (5th, in fact), where I'm going is acceptable (I don't think the name of the program is important...it's at a decent categorical program at a flagship academic medical center in a metropolitain area) .

I wanted to know- are there people out there that have matched and now are experiencing a "post-match" depression of sorts...similar to making a "big" purchase or buying a house... or is it just me who is a bit disappointed not getting matched at one of my more desired places?

If you didn't get your #1, you're likely to feel some sense of shock/let down even though your top 10 programs may be excellent academically. Also, even if you got your #1 choice, it's likely that the more cautious of personalities will feel so post-match trepidation, similar to buying a house, yes, because you're signed on, you can't change it, you're going through a new phase, etc.

mike

Here's my dilemma:

After the ROL deadline, I began really regretting placing my #2 program ahead of a couple of others. Then I thought to myself "what are the chances that I'll end up at #2? #2 is a small program, probably harder to get into vs. the other two..."

And I matched at #2. I guess I should be happy that I matched, but still...

Originally posted by beezar
Here's my dilemma:

After the ROL deadline, I began really regretting placing my #2 program ahead of a couple of others. Then I thought to myself "what are the chances that I'll end up at #2? #2 is a small program, probably harder to get into vs. the other two..."

And I matched at #2. I guess I should be happy that I matched, but still...

Just try focusing on what was in your head when you put it at #2. That may help you.

mike

Originally posted by jlzp
So, I've matched!

Hi there,
Your post-match blues will be quickly overtaken by the sheer number of things that you have to do to make the transition from medical student to resident. Remember that everything happens for a reason and that there is a reason for everything. Once you start to get to work taking care of patients, you may find that you are happier with your present program than you would have been in your "first choice". If your program is accredited and in the United States, you are going to get good teaching and good experience. (If not, better abandon ship as soon as possible.)

There was something about you that your program felt was good enough for them to rank you highly. You may not have been aware of what you projected but do you really want to train in a program that did not want you in the first place? In the case of your first four choices, they did not rank you high enough for you to have matched there so they probably did not want you in their program. Yes, it is he-- not to be wanted and prized but you will put that behind you and move onto your next challenge. Believe me, the first few weeks of residency are a tough transition time. The buck will stop with you.

Focus on getting all of your business matters in place. You have to find a place to live and there are many things that you need to take care of like car registration and utilities once you have found your new place. You also have to move (in most cases). You need to be totally settled into your new place before you start residency. Once you start residency, you don't have much free time to run around and get things done.

Finally, give yourself some time. I have found that most of this ranking and matching stuff will become less important to you once you get on with patient care. You are about to meet a new group of fellow residents who will become a sort of working family for you as you go through residency. You have the privilege and opportunity to experience thousands of new experiences and challenges. Think of all those pre-med students who would kill to be where you are now. You have made one more step toward completing your goal!!

You have to finish fourth-year and you have to graduate. The period after graduation and before you start residency is one of the best times to be an MD/DO. Go to the beach or read some trashy novels. You are a doc and you are a resident now. Do some mindless stuff and start working out in the gym. Have some fun and congratulations on getting through the match!

njbmd:)

I am sort of too. My number 1 and 2 were pretty much interchangeable. I liked 2 better than 1, but 1 is in the state where I've lived almost my whole life, so lot of friends and family, etc are there. I'm really excited to be going to 2 esp since it's in a huge city but not looking forward to leaving everyone behind. That's the only part i don't like, but it's a great program for me.
o/w wouldn't have put it number 2!

3 years go by fast i'm sure, i still can't believe 4 years of med school just went by.

BUYERS REMORSE!!

Although I not totally in jlzp's situation (I matched into my #2), I *am* feeling slight pangs of apprehension about the whole "You're bound with this program, come Hell or high water for the next 5 years <insert maniacal laughter here>" thing. Maybe it's that I'm so used to having something to worry about that now my mind doesn't know how to function. Oh, and njbmd - I didn't wait for Match to start reading trashy novels...I love you Fabio...*drool*:love:

This is a great thread. Even though I did an early match, two months later I still have many of the feeling people here are expressing. Immediately after matching, I was mainly bothered by the feeling that I now knew that I would be "stuck" at one program and no longer had any other options. This was in stark contrast to before the match when I had interviewed and ranked some 15+ programs and I was very excited about the possibilities - the many terrific cities I might live in, the fantastic attendings I had met on interviews and may have chance to learn from, all the beautiful hospitals I might get to work in. Now that I know where I will be going and it is hard to forget all these other great programs which each had their strong points, regardless of where I eventually ranked them. Especially since I have quite a bit of spare time on my hands now during fourth year, I can't help but continue to think about the "what ifs".

njbmd - I appreciated your post. I agree that all of these feelings will largely be forgotten once we get involved in the rigors of patient care and internship. I also agree that it is most useful and easiest to try and focus on preparing for the future.

I think this feeling is only natural. I sometimes feel anxious knowing that I am bound for one place whereas not too long ago I had many possible places I could go. But, then I think about my ROL and where I matched and relize that I am best off where I am going, am thrilled to be going there, and that I ranked programs as I did for a reason.

how did you feel when you went to med school? you knew you'd be there for the next 4 years. it'll pass, you'll have fun.
'
hell, i matched at a program that i interviewed with for PRACTICE...and i'm ECSTATIC b/c i ended up loving the program/city. everything happens for a reason

peace

Didn't realize the popularity of this thread...anyhow, I'm fine-

Interesting how the post-match emotions follow (without surprise) Kulber-Ross' stages of death & dying (denial, anger, bargaining- you know the rest).

Since receiving my welcome package from my hospital, things are moving forward, leaving behind those "blues"...:D

im not probably saying anything new here, but i felt a little down even though im going to a good program too.
ive gotten through it b/c of the same things people have said before...everything happens for a reason...and everything works out for the best....you really have to believe it.
and also, there is a lot of guessing as to which program you would like better\\\\you could very well like youre 5th choice as much as your 1st. and being down wont make it any better, get up and make the most of what you got]]]]
good luck!:p

Originally posted by UI2003
BUYERS REMORSE!!

Although I not totally in jlzp's situation (I matched into my #2), I *am* feeling slight pangs of apprehension about the whole "You're bound with this program, come Hell or high water for the next 5 years <insert maniacal laughter here>" thing.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :clap: :clap:

Most of the posts in this thread relate to post-match blues regarding what program a person matched to. However, even more significant than that, is anyone second guessing themselves on there chosen specialty, even before starting training? Basically, we had to commit to a specialty by september and we have now just matched. Seems to me that it is entirely possible that people may have acquired some doubts about their choice during this period of time. Anyone experiencing these feelings?

Alexander, I think you have a good point. I know I'm going into something that I don't want to do, but I didn't have much of a choice. However, we can change for the next year if we need to!

Another thing that is bothering me is that I'm moving to a city that I don't know, and I don't know anyone there! I'll be on my own, and my nearest family will be 400 miles away. I'll have some friends closer- only 200 miles away.

I know things will work out. Hell, I went to a third world country to a new medical school without having visited it beforehand and did fine. This time I'll at least get to see my new apartment before signing the lease!

I matched in internal medicine and hope to land a spot in a cardiology fellowship with intervenitonal training...but...after having finished on month of intro radiology and another in neuroradiology, I really respect/enjoy the field much more than I had anticipated. I could see myself as a radiologist....hmm..a cardiology fellowship 3-4yrs vs radiology 3yrs