Post-interview contact from interviewee standpoint

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OTN

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who have come before:

What's the deal with programs contacting us after interviews? I've heard from some people that programs will do it if they plan on ranking you highly, some will do it regardless, and some will not do it. Questions from these rumors:

1. When they say "rank you highly," what does that mean in their minds?

2. If no one calls you, is it panic time? I'd rather it not be panic time, personally.

3. Anyone one know with which programs it's important to get aforementioned call/letter/e-mail/whatever? Any program that contacts me via telegram moves up one spot on my list, that's for sure.

I didn't even know I had to worry about this until someone mentioned it to me. What an amazing time this is.

Members don't see this ad.

It is really to your detriment to rank programs based on your perception of how likely they are to rank you "highly." For the past several years, the NRMP algorithm has been changed to have the applicants' list take priority over the programs'. Any applicant should create his/her ROL in the order in which he/she would like to match. This should be your first, last and sole priority.

There are a number of programs out there (Rad Onc and otherwise) who love to bolster their, "We got our top XXX candidates!" reputation. I can list several of these, often "name" programs, as can most of you out there. One institution in particular pressures the PDs of all its GME programs to do so.

If we as candidates get letters, e-mails, faxes, pages, strip-o-grams from programs, either we truly are desirable to the program or they are playing a game to ensure that everyone ranks them #1. In either case, we as candidates do best by ranking programs in order of desirability. Should we not match in program #1 or even #2, that #3 program that listed us #1 will still get us. Why pass up on your top choice just because someone else follows up with a note?

i asked a secretary of a program i interviewed at 2 years ago what 'we will rank you highly mean'. she said it was top 5 students. everyone has their own definition though.

dont panic, diff programs have diff styles. some call some dont. calls in radonc (i feel) are few anf far between.

Members don't see this ad :)
LEt me be clear on this: if a program doest call you it dosnt mean anything. If they call you, it doesnt mean anything you can count on. Ive known people to get calls to encourage them to "rank highly" etc who didnt match at that place. I know that many programs who are confident enough abide by the rules wont call.

Do NOT ask anyone how you'll be ranked. You may not get an honest answer and you may likely piss off those who take the ethics of the match seriously. You may express your great interest in the program; use words like "great fit" "i would be verfy happy here" etc.

So as for contact by the program: it most certainly isnt panic time (and besides, just because they rank a guy number one doesnt mean that guy will go there). And if they do call you, dont get cocky. Your getting a call froma program who's violating the match laws- keep that in mind when you think about how much you trust their word. Experience shows it means little in terms of guarentee. Finally: dont try to "play" the match: rank places as you like them. The match favors residents not programs. Dont try to guess who will be ranking you high and rank accordingly. Good luck!
steph

Thanks for all of your helpful input steph and others...

How do you guys feel about telling a place that you are placing them #1?

Stephanie and others,

Thanks for the info. I'm glad they changed the algorithm for the match several years ago. To be honest, I was surprised to learn a few months ago that it was in the programs' favor to begin with. Can't believe the student associations allowed that to go through.

The game that everyone plays on telling places they love 'em was the topic of an article a few years ago. Don't ask about how I came across an FP journal. Don't know.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?CMD=Pager&DB=PubMed

Also heard someone say that the timing of interview was important in matching or not. Found an article:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...ve&db=PubMed&list_uids=11043998&dopt=Abstract

Later.

dont say youre ranking them number one. Tell them "I would love to be here". YOure not allow to say where youre ranking.

As for student associations: I suspect the hospital associations have far more power! But then you haven't seen your first paycheck yet!
Steph

Has everyone actually read the NRMP match paticipant agreement ? I hadn't, but a smart applicant from Jersey told me all about it. here it is:

Section 6.0
Restrictions on Persuasion
One of the purposes of the Matching Program is to allow both applicants and programs to make selection decisions on a uniform schedule and without undue or unwarranted pressure. Both applicants and programs may express a high degree of interest in each other and try to influence future ranking decisions in their favor, but must not make statements implying a commitment. It is a material breach of this Agreement for a participant in the Matching Program to make any verbal or written contract for appointment to a concurrent year residency position prior to the Matching Program. In addition, although applicants or programs may volunteer how they plan to rank each other, it is a material breach of this Agreement to request such information.

Hmmmm. Doesn't sound like it would be unethical for a program to call, just to say I love you.... uh, I mean... to say you're #1.

Joe

...you actually are allowed to tell a place where you plan to rank them, but places (and applicants) are not allowed to ask where the other party will place them.

perhaps I'm wrong; just make sure you double and triple check so as to not shoot yourself in your foot and then let me know so i can stop giving misinformation.
S