Post-bacc Question From An Engineering Major

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AndrewWKRules

I hate my job.
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a senior finishing up my last year in mechanical engineering at U of Mich. I have a B+ cumulative and I haven't nearly completed my pre-med courses. I am starting my master's in science in engineering (MSE) in biomedical engineering, it's a one-year with or without thesis program. But I really don't know if it's necessary to stick with the master's if I intend on starting my post-bacc or my own individulized pre-med program after graduate school; as this GPA seems to be more important than my major GPA. I would enter as an academic record enhancer student and start all my pre-med classes fresh.

Do any of you have any suggestions for someone in my situation?
I'm not sure if the MSE is necessary since my dream is to pursue medicine.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

If your dream truly is to pursue medicine, I wouldn't bother going through with the graduate program -- it wouldn't be enjoyable and your heart wouldn't really be into it. If you kick butt in your pre-med classes now instead of waiting to get through the graduate program, you'll be that much closer to getting into med school. :)

Thanks r_salis...my concern is that med schools will look at my undergrad GPA and automatically discard my application. That's why I thought doing the MSE would help my chances before doing a post-bacc.

- Duder

Members don't see this ad :)
"Donnie, you're out of your element!" hehehehehehe

Considering time=money, you would probably be better off going straight into a post-bacc program. If you can maintain a high gpa in your post undergraduate coursework while making up your pre-med requirements, they should observe the trend of improvement.

If you're interested in pursuing an advanced degree along with a MD or DO, you should consider entering into a dual degree program, but you can only do this after you've completed your pre-med requirements.

Speak with a counselor at your college's health professions office if you have one available to you. I had a 2.67 undergraduate GPA and my chances of getting in for 2004 look pretty good. I have a 3.7 post-bacc gpa and that was earned while employed full time at a multi-disciplinary healthcare facility.

yearningone

(Nice avatar yearningone -- I love Dexter's Laboratory ;) ).

I totally agree with what yearningone says about seeing a trend of improvement -- if you can show great grades from here on out in your pre-med classes, that's what admissions committees want to see.

I'm excited to report I have an interview with New Jersey Medical School coming soon!

I love Dexter too, but I don't seem to catch him on tv much. I should look up the listing. There is definitely a draft in my house.

:eek:

:spam:, the other, other, other red meat.

that's awesome advice. thanks so much. i talked to a bunch of different people, including pre-health advisors, and they're all telling me the same thing: forget the masters and go for the post-bac.

i checked out georgetown university this thanksgiving and i think i'll be disenrolling from the master's and going to georgetown instead. if any of you want to know about the campus or area around georgetown, all i can say is that it kicks ass. DC is an awesome place to change careers in my opinion.

also...
CONGRATS, YEARNINGONE! my buddy got into UMDNJ-NJMS and he said the interview was really good. 45 min interview and then they give you a tour of the med school/hospital.

- The Duder

My employer and another former co-worker of mine already go to NJMS. I'm going to their Wednesday lunch with students before the interview. I'm getting a little nervous, but I think I'm prepared to handle the interview. I've always been relatively collected and comfortable with interviews.

Glad to hear you found good info. I know how difficult it can be to obtain accurate info. Good luck with the post-bacc program. I'm pretty sure most students who successfully complete the GW program get into med school. Be certain to have the exposure to medicine before applying. Most schools want to be certain you can handle not only the realities of healthcare (the gore, the emotions, the tedium) but also that you've made the effort to be in a medical environment.

Keep in touch with the health professions advisors as they should provide you with what you need to do in the next year or two.

:thumbup: