Post-Bacc in NJ/NY

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sasevan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend post-bacc programs in either NJ or NY?
Also, I'm from FL so I'm trying to find a way to avoid having to pay out-of-state tuitions in NJ/NY; any ideas?

Peace

Members don't see this ad.

Hi!

I believe that UMDNJ has a post bac program.

A friend of mine is doing the Columbia post-bacc program.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a post-bac at City College in NYC. It is an excellent program and quite inexpensive. You should check out the site www.ccny.cuny.edu and see what you think.

For what it's worth...

Rutgers *has* a post-bacc program. But I just finished it at Rutgers/Newark, and there is no appreciable difference between being a "post-bacc" and just taking the required courses as a non-matriculated student. Seriously. None whatsoever. I had no standing at the school, no assistance in choosing or getting into my classes, and no guidance in the MCAT or in the applications process. It was abysmal from that standpoint.

However, if it's cheaper for you--and it certainly is cheaper than either NYU or Columbia's programs--then you can certainly get what you need from it. You just have to figure things out for yourself and not expect guidance.

Hunter College has a program as well, if you're in the city.

umdnj in newark offers a 3-semester master's program in biomedical sciences, basically allowing you to take half med and half grad courses to improve your credentials. it isn't designed to fulfill your science prereq's, though.

tuition is 4500/semester in-state, and 5700/semester out-of-state. unlike the umdnj medical schools where out-of-state matriculants immediately qualify for in-state tuition, I don't believe you can qualify for the lower rate in the master's program.