Post bacc advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jookey

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm beginning to look into the post bacc process. Does anyone have any good advice as to what programs I should look into or any other information or things to consider that would be good for this beginner to know? Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

That all depends on what science courses you've completed (if any.) If you need to complete your pre-reqs, you should have at least a 3.0 gpa, and some schools require the GRE. Check out this link...

http://hpap.syr.edu/LISTPB.HTM

P.S. I will be doing my post bac work at San Francisco State University starting summer 2004. It's for those lacking the pre-reqs; I've heard good things about it. Good luck...

hello

I am too trying to find information on Post-Bacs. I would like to stay in New York City, and know there are a few in NYC but am having trouble trying to find out whether they are difficult to get into. I was looking into the Columbia Post Bac and have heard that it is a good program but little more. I know there is one at Hunter, but is it any good? Also i was wondering if there are any within driving range from NYC to PA, CT, or NJ. Thanks I'm new to the process.

Members don't see this ad :)
There's a thread on the Columbia one in this forum. I just got accepted a few weeks ago and will be attending in January. Columbia was my first choice for two reasons (1) my husband works there so I'm getting tuition paid for through his benefits (2) I went there undergrad so I know what to expect. The Columbia pre-med courses are notoriously hard. As an undergrad I took Physics, General Chemistry, and Orgo I. There's definitely a "weed out" process going on. Everything is intense and the competition is cut throat. I think that if you're ready to work hard you'll definitely learn a lot. And if you do well their committee will definitely help you get in somewhere. They have a very high med school acceptance rate but I hear it's because mediocre performers get kicked out of the program. If you do well I'm sure that you'd have a strong application coming from here though.

I also briefly looked into the City College program and the Hunter Program. Don't know much about the City College program. They do need letters of recommendation (including academic ones) which turned me off from applying. Those are a pain to get if you've been working for a while. I received the Hunter application just yesterday and it is very easy (no essays or letters needed). I've heard very good things about the Hunter program. It prepares you well without needless stress and it costs much less.

I think these are the only formal programs in Manhattan. You can always take the courses on your own as well.

Edit: Depending on where you are you might be able to commute to UConn. They have a formal postbacc too.

Good luck to you!

does anyone have the website address for the Hunter post-bacc program handy (it's not listed on the aamc site)? or perhaps the official name of the program?

thanks!

Not sure what the official name is but they use the term post baccalaureate pre-med in their literature. They sent me a non-degree undergraduate application.

Call their admissions office for info. I had to leave my info on an answering machine.

Hunter College
Office of Admissions/Welcome Center
Room 100, North Building
695 Park Avenue
New York, NY 10021

212-772-4490

Hey Halcyon440,

Thanks for the reply. Just wondering but do you how many of the premed reqs a student can have and still get into the columbia post bac. I ask this because I have already completed chem 1, and might complete chem2. thanks!