Post bac programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

osteovet

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Finally, I was able to regain enterance to this forum again! My former name was Splitdoc, so some of you may remember my last posts. I was hopeing to adress the topic of post bac programs for vet school. I read BradMcC17's post and I thought I would share my knowledge on the subject, so here is what I know! First, there is a specific post bac program for vet school, and it is the only one in the USA, which is at Drexel University School of Medicine and its called the Veterinary Medical Science Post bac program. It is a one year program designed to get you in to vet school, and it is actually the 1'st year of the MLAS (Master of Laboratory Animal Science program), so if you do not do well enough to get into vet school you can continue with the masters degree in Laboratory Animal Science (if you like that field). I had the opportunity to speak with someone who completed the MLAS program at Drexel and is now at Penn Vet, so I can varify its helpfulness. Also Cornell stated that there is no foolproof way to vet school, except the program at Drexel (so take that for what its worth)! Like the other posters stated, there are various ways to utilize pre-med post bac programs for vet school. I am doing just that! I am currently at the Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine in the Biomedical Science program studying to improve my GPA for application to Penn in June 2004. I also was accepted to Drexel's MLAS program, but I wanted to be in their VMS post bac program, so I chose PCOM. Now, as you can imagine I do not completely fit in with this crowd at PCOM, in that I am this young stapping farm boy from rural east central PA, and the rest of my classmates are more than likely city lovers, who want to wear the white coats, and stethoscopes (most don't seem like they like dirt on those coats either, if you know what I mean, but they also seem a little smarter than me too!)LOL! The point here is this...in this program at PCOM we are taking approximatly 30 or so credits, with the biochemistry, and gross anatomy course each weighing in at 9 creditits a piece! Now this my be a little intense for most people, but I figure if I did a graduate program at some other school that was less known in Philadelphia, and they had a biochemistry class that was only worth 3-5 credits, it would decreass my odds for acceptance at Penn Vet. So far I have a C average in the mid 70's so maybe this was not the best decision for me, but I am confident I will end with an A, or B, and increas my GPA dramatically. So, I am sory for the long post, but I hope this helps with your decisions. I wish everyone out there the best of luck! Remember it is the love and dedication we all share! (oops no spell check!);)

Members don't see this ad.

I was doing a search on our VMS post bac program and was delighted to see this post. I actually work at the Drexel College of Medicine, more specifically with the Veterinary Medical Science (VMS) post bac program and Master of Laboratory Animal Science program (MLAS). And I just wanted to agree with Osteovet that both of these programs are great!

We all know how tough it is to get into vet school.... the VMS program is pefect for people looking to improve their credentials before applying to vet school, or for those who barely missed getting into it. VMS is a one-year program, and students are able to continue on for their MLAS afterwards if they want to.

MLAS is perfect for those who want to focus on a career working with lab animals and ensuring the proper care and management. It's a 2-year program and most of the classes are scheduled in the late afternoon/early evening as to not affect your work schedule.

Here are the links for the two programs, I'd definitely recommend checking out the website if your interests fall into either category. If you have any further questions, feel free to drop me an email!

http://www.drexel.edu/med/biograd/vms/
http://www.drexel.edu/med/biograd/mlas/

Angelo
[email protected]

AngeloMilone said:
I was doing a search on our VMS post bac program and was delighted to see this post. I actually work at the Drexel College of Medicine, more specifically with the Veterinary Medical Science (VMS) post bac program and Master of Laboratory Animal Science program (MLAS). And I just wanted to agree with Osteovet that both of these programs are great!

We all know how tough it is to get into vet school.... the VMS program is pefect for people looking to improve their credentials before applying to vet school, or for those who barely missed getting into it. VMS is a one-year program, and students are able to continue on for their MLAS afterwards if they want to.

MLAS is perfect for those who want to focus on a career working with lab animals and ensuring the proper care and management. It's a 2-year program and most of the classes are scheduled in the late afternoon/early evening as to not affect your work schedule.

Here are the links for the two programs, I'd definitely recommend checking out the website if your interests fall into either category. If you have any further questions, feel free to drop me an email!

Angelo
[email protected]

I was just wondering what kind of GPA your programs were looking for? Are they geared at all towards adult students? I live in Gettysburg, PA and although Philly is a bit far and prolly not do-able for me (I have 2 kids I responsible for, etc. etc. etc.), I am nevertheless hopeful that some day I will have the chance to gain admission to vet school. It took me 15yrs. to get my bachelors degree so you know I don't give up easily!!

Anyway - thanks in advance for the information!!

Members don't see this ad :)
AngeloMilone said:

Angelo
[email protected]

Oh yeah - can the program(s) be completed part time?? Also, does one have to take any standardized test as part of admission? Thanks and sorry for all the questions!! :)

Hi Muttmommy,

I can be of some help. I talked to the guy in charge of Drexel's program....Dr. Messina. You need at least I think a 2.8/3.0 GPA to get into the VMS program or if yer GPA is lower you need to take the GRE and score above average (700 range?) on the math and analytical sections...The verbal can be a little lower. It is a little tough to get in and they just started this program like 2 years ago and so far graduated like I think 4 people? But all have gained admission to vet school I hear. I think it is full time but I am not sure. Check out their website the above poster gave and call Dr. Messina he was very helpful to me and can be of assistance to you.
If you can't get into the VMS he said the MLAS is also helpful....many ppl who started in the Masters in Lab science have increased their chances of getting into vet school as well. Its a little less competitive to get in also. Hope this helps! Good Luck getting into vet school!
Wow...15 years....you are a trooper! If you don't mind persisitence I'm sure it will pay off!

I'll just add that one can certainly do other special master's/post-bac programs that have a pre-medical focus for admission to vet school. I'm in the Cell and Molecular biology master's program at Tulane. It's geared for those who want to go to professional school, but need a "bump". While most are pre-med, there are some pre-dental, pre-vet, and a few who want to go into research or forensics.

Coursework is grad-biology courses; a few I've taken--cellular biochemistry, cell biology, molec. biol., developmental neurobiology, advanced developmental biol., molec. biol. of cancer, and good ol' seminar and research. One neat aspect about our program is that for research you can do a "patient skills program" where you're put into local hospitals and do psycho-social histories, go on rounds, etc. with the med team. This is actually very useful for vet med too as it teaches you how to deal with people in a clinical setting under sometimes stressful circumstances.

Thanks MedTechv79 and Southern Comfort for all your help and advice!! I really appreciate it and will be contacting the school tommorow for further information!! Thanks again - you guys are the best!!