Post alert - not a fan of stickies on the side

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mass Effect

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just so people know there's a post in the board certification thread (on the right) with a poster who could really use some advice and I can't help thinking that if the thread was in an actual place people could notice it and in a way that people could notice there's a new post, people would have replied.

I don't know why stickies that are pretty active were moved to a sidebar, but I think it's a little crazy that the psych board certification thread is on the side. Mods, any chance we can move it to the top of regular threads?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I will concur, at least over on the psychology side as well. I used to occasionally respond to stickies about WAMC or something else. Now, I don't really ever notice them, and only checked today because of this comment.

Reactions: 1 user
Who's the moderator of this forum? I can tag them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, good call. Had not even noticed those until this thread. (But remember them before the software change.)

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks, sticky threads push a lot of other threads down the page. So we've been testing different formats to see what works best.

I didn’t even know there were stickies on the side and I lurk almost daily. I’ve always just looked at the ones on the top.

I dont like stickies on the side of the page either because I use sdn via mobile browser 99% of the time so I can never see stickied threads ie. Pre allo social thread.

I dont like stickies on the side of the page either because I use sdn via mobile browser 99% of the time so I can never see stickied threads ie. Pre allo social thread.
We'll try a new method where the stickies are by default 'rolled-up' rather than pushed off to the top corner menu (phone) or right menubar (desktop). Expect to launch that next week.

Reactions: 1 users
We'll try a new method where the stickies are by default 'rolled-up' rather than pushed off to the top corner menu (phone) or right menubar (desktop). Expect to launch that next week.

Thanks. I understand the point about them pushing other threads down and I can see moving the ones that are locked or not active, but in this case, the psychiatry board certification thread is active every single year when new residency grads start studying for boards. If you look at the thread, it goes back many years. So stickies like that may be more accessible and easier to see on the top.

However they launch, can we please make them bold when there are new posts? Or use the "new" tag like with regular threads?

Reactions: 3 users
We're testing right now, but here's what it is going to look like:
Screen Shot 2020-04-17 at 11.14.14 AM.png

It will be rolled up by default but will remember what you did if you unrolled it and left it unrolled.

Huh, they’re still appearing on the top for me. Maybe it’s because I use SDN mostly on my phone?

They were just added back to the top a couple of days ago. At the time I made this post, they weren't on the top. Not sure about mobile version.