Possible publication!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grayblue

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I worked in a lab for over a year and didn't like it so much due to the work environment (very high expectations). Anyway, the PI promised me a publication (I know it's a great opportunity!!). The person I worked most closely with under the PI also talked about writing the paper, which we would co author!

Only problem is the PI or anyone from the lab hasn't reached out about the paper!! However, the person I worked closely with, recently emailed me and she sent me an abstract she put me in. This is great, but she included this other assistent (that came to the lab later than me, stayed for ~5months), in front of me on the abstract!

I thought that was just odd since iv'e been helping this girl for over a year!! Anyway, the biggest problem is the publication! How do I even email or follow up on the publication, (that doesn't come off as rude or condescending!!) Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

It's very possible the new worker contributed more than you on the project and deserves the place above you. It really doesn't matter though, rearranging the listing of the middle authors is likely to do nothing in the grand scheme of things. Just thank the person keeping you in touch and ask to be kept in the loop for any future developments with the paper.

Reactions: 1 user
Its almost a year since I was at this lab. What if they never email or follow up about the publication! Should i just send an email to the pi?

Members don't see this ad :)
Its almost a year since I was at this lab. What if they never email or follow up about the publication! Should i just send an email to the pi?

A polite follow up email is fine. Without knowing anything about the project, I'll remind you that science takes time. Projects get stalled for a variety of reasons. The PI promising you a publication doesn't mean it will necessarily happen.

Well, first thing I'd do is look up the PI and make sure they haven't published it yet without you. If it's still being worked on then you could send an email to whoever you worked under just saying hey, wanted to touch base about how XYZ project has been doing since my departure.

Reactions: 1 users
If they only just put you on an abstract, then that means that the project isn't done yet. Posters and abstracts generally represent projects that are near the stage of completion and publication but aren't quite there yet. So the publication may still be forthcoming.

Regarding author order, it's not a first-come, first-serve. You don't get a higher spot on the list just because you got there first. If the other person contributed to the project more than you, he or she deserves to be higher on the list. It would be rude or condescending to ask otherwise.

I worked in a lab for over a year and didn't like it so much due to the work environment (very high expectations). Anyway, the PI promised me a publication (I know it's a great opportunity!!). The person I worked most closely with under the PI also talked about writing the paper, which we would co author!

Only problem is the PI or anyone from the lab hasn't reached out about the paper!! However, the person I worked closely with, recently emailed me and she sent me an abstract she put me in. This is great, but she included this other assistent (that came to the lab later than me, stayed for ~5months), in front of me on the abstract!

I thought that was just odd since iv'e been helping this girl for over a year!! Anyway, the biggest problem is the publication! How do I even email or follow up on the publication, (that doesn't come off as rude or condescending!!)
You can periodically check PubMed by Searching the PI and the first author's name and see what pops up, in case your name is on one of their accepted manuscripts, too.

Last edited:
You can periodically check PubMed by Searching the PI and the first author's name and see what pops up, in case your name is on one of their accepted manuscripts, too.

I agree, although it would be highly irregular for any PI to put OP's name on a publication without his or her knowledge. Conventional practice is to send the final draft to all authors for their approval. Approval can be implicit, as in "if you don't respond to this email, we will assume that you have approved the final draft" but it would be irregular to not even send out the final draft to all the authors.

I agree, although it would be highly irregular for any PI to put OP's name on a publication without his or her knowledge. Conventional practice is to send the final draft to all authors for their approval. Approval can be implicit, as in "if you don't respond to this email, we will assume that you have approved the final draft" but it would be irregular to not even send out the final draft to all the authors.
Hopefully the OP's university email will still be active when manuscript submission time comes, or the PI has a personal email address with which to effect such communications.