Possible loophole for retaking all the Steps?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nancysinatra

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I found this on the USMLE website:

"If you pass a Step or Step Component, you are not allowed to retake it, except to comply with certain state board requirements which have been previously approved by USMLE governance." (It goes on to talk about retaking certain steps to comply with the 7-year and 10-year time frames some states have for passing all the steps, which is different from having passed all the steps but them having them expire at a certain age and having to retake them all.)

Then I found the following paragraph on the California medical board website. Does anyone else interpret this as suggesting that some people who passed all the Steps in the past may be able to retake them if they apply for a license in California and it's been more than 10 years since they took a Step and they don't seek an extension? Most people would not want to take all 3 Steps again, but I might, if I decide to apply for a second residency one day and would like a better score. What do other people make of this:

"How long are my test scores valid?

For purposes of licensure, passing scores on a written examination are valid for a period of 10 years from the month of the examination. This period of validity may be extended by the Board for good cause and time spent in a postgraduate training program, including, but not limited to, residency training, fellowship training, remedial or refresher training, or other training that is intended to maintain or improve medical skills. The 10-year period also may be extended if you are licensed and practicing in another state; you will receive definitive information relative to your status upon receipt of a complete application."

Members don't see this ad.

"If you pass a Step or Step Component, you are not allowed to retake it, except to comply with certain state board requirements which have been previously approved by USMLE governance." (It goes on to talk about retaking certain steps to comply with the 7-year and 10-year time frames some states have for passing all the steps, which is different from having passed all the steps but them having them expire at a certain age and having to retake them all.)

Then I found the following paragraph on the California medical board website. Does anyone else interpret this as suggesting that some people who passed all the Steps in the past may be able to retake them if they apply for a license in California and it's been more than 10 years since they took a Step and they don't seek an extension? Most people would not want to take all 3 Steps again, but I might, if I decide to apply for a second residency one day and would like a better score. What do other people make of this:

For purposes of licensure, passing scores on a written examination are valid for a period of 10 years from the month of the examination. This period of validity may be extended by the Board for good cause and time spent in a postgraduate training program, including, but not limited to, residency training, fellowship training, remedial or refresher training, or other training that is intended to maintain or improve medical skills. The 10-year period also may be extended if you are licensed and practicing in another state; you will receive definitive information relative to your status upon receipt of a complete application."

That's a bad ideal. I wouldn't expect someone to do well on step 1 with no exposure to the basic sciences in 10years

Reactions: 1 user

:smack: Licensure boards want those who pass the Steps to pass them within a certain time period. Most of them want you to pass Step 1--Step 2 CS--Step 2CK--Step 3 within a 7 year period (some states are 10 years). Once you do that, they are valid for life and you can't retake them.

:smack: Licensure boards want those who pass the Steps to pass them within a certain time period. Most of them want you to pass Step 1--Step 2 CS--Step 2CK--Step 3 within a 7 year period (some states are 10 years). Once you do that, they are valid for life and you can't retake them.

Unless, you:

• you are currently enrolled in an LCME- or AOA accredited medical school program leading to the MD or DO degree;
  • you have previously passed Step 1 and/or Step 2 but have not passed Step 3; (So once you pass Step 3 and 10 years have passed, you can longer retake the exams)
  • you are expected to graduate from the medical school program six or more years after the date you first passed Step 1 and/or Step 2; and
  • you are otherwise eligible to retake the examination.
Copied from USMLE FAQ Question 21

Edit: But to clarify, the old scores never go away and you would always have to report them.

Last edited: