Podiatry Surgical Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Foot

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
I was just wondering what is the requirement (GPA, Board exam scores, etc.) to get accepted into a residency such as PSR-36. And what is the difference between PSR-12, PSR-24, and PSR-36 in term of procedures a podiatrist can perform? I really appreciate any feedback regarding these questions.
Thanks a punch.

Members don't see this ad.

Had a similar question. But yeah I'll wait until I started school to find out more about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr. Foot said:
Hello Everyone,
I was just wondering what is the requirement (GPA, Board exam scores, etc.) to get accepted into a residency such as PSR-36. And what is the difference between PSR-12, PSR-24, and PSR-36 in term of procedures a podiatrist can perform? I really appreciate any feedback regarding these questions.
Thanks a punch.

You won't have to worry about this, because by the time you graduate there won't be any such residencies named PSR-12, 24, or 36. There will only be a PM&S 24 and a PM&S 36 (Podiatric Medicine & Surgery). The 24 will lead to board certification in "foot surgery" and the 36 will lead to certification in "foot surgery" and "rearfoot reconstruction and ankle surgery". No matter which one you complete you technically can perform the same procedures - legally speaking, if your hospital grants you privileges. You just need to make sure to log enough cases.

LCR

Dr. Rogers have already explained to you the new two podiatric surgical residency models. The only thing that I would add is that PM&S 24/36 will be able to sit for both the Podiatric Surgery Boards and the Podiatric Medicine Boards.

Dr. Rogers is also correct in that almost all of the residency programs will have converted to one of the two new podiatric surgical models when you apply for residency programs. But, if you like to know the difference between the older model PSR, I will explain it briefly. Let me begin by saying that there is not such thing is a PSR-36. There are PSR-12 and PSR-24 / 24+. The PSR-12 will allow the resident graduate to sit for the "Foot Surgery" board exam and will be mainly focused on doing forefoot surgery only. This would be similar to the PM&S-24. PSR-24 (2 years to complete) or PSR-24+ (3 or more years to complete) will allow the resident graduate to sit for both "Foot Surgery" and "Reconstructive Rearfoot Surgery" board exams. This would be similar to the PM&S-36. Starting 2006, only residents completing PSR-24, PSR-24+, PM&S-36 will be allowed to sit for the "Reconstructive Rearfoot Surgery" board exams. If you did two PSR-12 residency programs, you will not be able sit for the rearfoot boards even if you have enough documented rearfoot cases in 2006.

I hope that this helps. If you have any additional questions, feel free to ask. I recommend all new podiatry students to do the best they can in school and pass the boards. If you work hard enough to obtain a decent GPA and do well clinically, you should be able to get into some decent PM&S-36 or PS-24+ programs. Remember, some states require you to pass the board exams before you can start the residency programs. A good example of this is Pennsylvania. You are required to pass Boards Part 1, 2, and PMLexis in order to get your Medical License to begin your residency training. There are several residency programs in the Pennsylvania where incoming residents have not been able to pass the Part 2 and/or PMLexis. These students are not able to start the residency training in their respective program in Pennsylvania.

Dr. Foot said:
Hello Everyone,
Thanks a punch.

I would like to thank Dr. Rogers and DPMGrad for the great explaination & advice concerning the PMS, I really appreciate it.