Podiatry School Post-Interview Chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

podmend

Reaction score
Hey ya'll!
Sooooo I recently applied to all 9 podiatry schools (they got my transcripts mid-Feb and my MCAT early March) and now I have some interviews coming in. I have a total of 5 so far but I'm waiting to hear from 3 other schools (got auto-rejected from Temple womp womp womp). My stats were not the best (3.0 cGPA, 2.9 sGPA and 498 MCAT) so I had started to study for a retake of the MCAT before I had started receiving these interviews.

My question is: Have there been instances where people get interviews but don't get in anywhere? I don't want to be lax in retaking the MCAT but I do feel like my motivation isn't quite up there because of the possibility of getting in this cycle. Another problem: It is quite late in the cycle so I don't know if these interviews are for the waitlist or the schools. Please shed your knowledge.

Members don't see this ad.

You should get an acceptance or two based on your stats and the number of interview invites (II). The majority get an acceptance if they have at least 2-3 II; unless they manage to really mess it up or can't explain the red flags.

However, getting an II means that you're halfway through, so prepare well for them. Good luck!

You should get an acceptance or two based on your stats and the number of interview invites (II). The majority get an acceptance if they have at least 2-3 II; unless they manage to really mess it up or can't explain the red flags.

However, getting an II means that you're halfway through, so prepare well for them. Good luck!
Thank you! I'm not the best at talking out loud and having it make sense but I guess I just have to keep practicing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you! I'm not the best at talking out loud and having it make sense but I guess I just have to keep practicing.

Be honest and calm. It's more of a conversation and relaxing but know your red flags/be able to explain them. Use the link below to prepare and also search for past threads for the programs you will be attending for the interviews.

Reactions: 1 users
Can't talk too much about my podiatry interview due to NDA, but I can say it was much less intensive, less comprehensive, and more chill than my two med school interviews.

What Dexter said. If you're humble, honest and not a weirdo, you will get accepted.

Can't talk too much about my podiatry interview due to NDA, but I can say it was much less intensive, less comprehensive, and more chill than my two med school interviews.

What Dexter said. If you're humble, honest and not a weirdo, you will get accepted.
Congrats on being accepted! Are you talking about the DMU interview? That was the only one that made me sign something. I'm a little confused about it lol.

Congrats on being accepted! Are you talking about the DMU interview? That was the only one that made me sign something. I'm a little confused about it lol.
Yeah, can't talk about the DMU interview. All I can say is that the rigor of the interview itself was far, far below my expectations

If I didn't get into MD/DO though, DMU was my top choice pod school. I came away very impressed with the program itself (and DMU having the cheapest COA doesn't hurt either)

Yeah, can't talk about the DMU interview. All I can say is that the rigor of the interview itself was far, far below my expectations

If I didn't get into MD/DO though, DMU was my top choice pod school. I came away very impressed with the program itself (and DMU having the cheapest COA doesn't hurt either)
Can I ask you what you liked most about the program?

Reactions: 1 user
Can I ask you what you liked most about the program?
-full first year parity with DO students (though it seems like clinical skills might be taken with PA students? hmm)
-heavily revamped curriculum that has helped rise DMU from 7th in boards to 1st place (faculty mentioned that no first year students had failed this year)
-a surprisingly high emphasis on research (you're eligible based on first year GPA)
-Dr. Yoho, the Dean himself was extremely personable, humble yet very accomplished. Very honest about the program
-open door policy with faculty, also rather student centered (and class size is only about 55 students)
-lowest cost of living out of all pod schools, Des Moines is a growing yet safe city with much to do

one downside however is lower clinic volume compared to Scholl, Temple and New York. Also, DMU is relocating and constructing a brand new campus, but Class of 2025 would only be there for a few months during 3rd year. For anyone interested, DMU is planning to increase class sizes and add new programs across the board

-full first year parity with DO students (though it seems like clinical skills might be taken with PA students? hmm)
-heavily revamped curriculum that has helped rise DMU from 7th in boards to 1st place (faculty mentioned that no first year students had failed this year)
-a surprisingly high emphasis on research (you're eligible based on first year GPA)
-Dr. Yoho, the Dean himself was extremely personable, humble yet very accomplished. Very honest about the program
-open door policy with faculty, also rather student centered (and class size is only about 55 students)
-lowest cost of living out of all pod schools, Des Moines is a growing yet safe city with much to do

one downside however is lower clinic volume compared to Scholl, Temple and New York. Also, DMU is relocating and constructing a brand new campus, but Class of 2025 would only be there for a few months during 3rd year. For anyone interested, DMU is planning to increase class sizes and add new programs across the board
Thanks for letting me know! I think DMU is high on my list as well but I was worried about the clinic volume. I guess it's time to weigh the pros and cons.

I just wanted to quickly update if anybody in the future has a similar question lol. I had some pretty bad grades in both undergrad and grad school (4ish D's) and a horrendous post-bac so I never thought I could get in anywhere (plus I thought applying in March was too late in the cycle). I was given an interview at 8/9 of the pod schools (automatic rejection from Temple). I was admitted to 7/8 of those (waitlisted by AZPOD) and I've put my deposit down for Scholl! There's a 10% chance I might switch over to DMU but I'm really grateful for these options I never thought I'd get. Now I'm just doing my best to be the most mentally fit I can be before August. Thanks!

I just wanted to quickly update if anybody in the future has a similar question lol. I had some pretty bad grades in both undergrad and grad school (4ish D's) and a horrendous post-bac so I never thought I could get in anywhere (plus I thought applying in March was too late in the cycle). I was given an interview at 8/9 of the pod schools (automatic rejection from Temple). I was admitted to 7/8 of those (waitlisted by AZPOD) and I've put my deposit down for Scholl! There's a 10% chance I might switch over to DMU but I'm really grateful for these options I never thought I'd get. Now I'm just doing my best to be the most mentally fit I can be before August. Thanks!
Congrats on the acceptance!! Use this time to relax, spend time with family and mentally prepare for the rigor of podiatric medical school. It's important to emphasis that having a solid routine for studying and dealing with stress is critical to success.

This just gave me SO much hope. Thank you & everyone else for posts like this! I understand the need to be honest, but posts like this reassure me it’s not the end & good people are out there entering into medical fields to help people. Congratulations!!

I posted this in the DMU thread, but I’ll post here in case anyone can answer me & I’ll add a bit more:
Hey all! Has there been any recent movement anyone knows about? My app was verified 8 days ago, enrolled in the DMU portal they sent, & I spoke with admissions yesterday asking about my app & they said I’d hear back soon. Waiting game has me on edge lol.
Sn: I also applied to Barry after speaking with one of their admissions counselors in depth, he even encouraged me to apply, but I was denied less than 48 hours after submitting my app. When I emailed he said my app didn’t align with them. It’s fine, just $65 I could’ve used for something else. I am a bit on the fence about sending another app to a different school at this time.
I’ve been given an MCAT waiver from DMU, have a strong upward trend in my grad program (at least a 3.8 this semester, which they’ve seen) compared to my 1st semester which was very rough & a strong upward trend in my last 2 years of undergrad. My overall GPA isn’t the best, but I know my application is stronger than my numbers. I just hope they can see that while I wait & they review.
Thank you guys in advance for any advice y’all might have!

I posted this in the DMU thread, but I’ll post here in case anyone can answer me & I’ll add a bit more:
Hey all! Has there been any recent movement anyone knows about? My app was verified 8 days ago, enrolled in the DMU portal they sent, & I spoke with admissions yesterday asking about my app & they said I’d hear back soon. Waiting game has me on edge lol.
Sn: I also applied to Barry after speaking with one of their admissions counselors in depth, he even encouraged me to apply, but I was denied less than 48 hours after submitting my app. When I emailed he said my app didn’t align with them. It’s fine, just $65 I could’ve used for something else. I am a bit on the fence about sending another app to a different school at this time.
I’ve been given an MCAT waiver from DMU, have a strong upward trend in my grad program (at least a 3.8 this semester, which they’ve seen) compared to my 1st semester which was very rough & a strong upward trend in my last 2 years of undergrad. My overall GPA isn’t the best, but I know my application is stronger than my numbers. I just hope they can see that while I wait & they review.
8 days is not a long wait. Some meet up once a week to go over applications while others meet up every 2 weeks. Waiting is not easy, but that's the best you can do.

If your gpa is not great and you don't have an MCAT it will be an uphill battle with how late you've applied in the cycle. If you can spare some app money, I would definitely advise you to apply to more schools or apply earlier next cycle if you are forced to. Hope it works out this time though! Good luck!!

When I interviewed for Barry (the first week of March), they told me that they were basically already starting to interview for waitlist spots (there were something like 13 spots left and 19 applicants waiting) so maybe that had a part to play in it too? I'm not sure why you specifically wouldn't be good for Barry but I'm no expert.

I also had an upward trend my last 2 years of undergrad so I think that's a good sign, and I'm sure a good grad GPA is helpful but I think a MCAT over 500 puts you in the competitive range so that might help if you unfortunately have to apply again. Otherwise make sure your personal statement is bomb!

I think it wouldn't hurt to look into more schools. I think people mention that the larger schools have some seats open this late in the cycle. Research research research!! Good luck!