Podiatry Satisfaction Poll

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How satisfied are you with your decision to become a Podiatrist

• Very Satisfied

Votes: 36 29.3%
  • Satisfied

Votes: 29 23.6%
  • Neither satisfied nor dissatisfied

Votes: 24 19.5%
  • Dissatisfied

Votes: 14 11.4%
  • Very dissatisfied

Votes: 20 16.3%

• Total voters
I definitely don’t agree with running people off just because they have a positive view of podiatry.

Nobody is ever “run off” here though. They either A) have no intention of sticking around and discussing because they were ordered or asked by their organization leadership or buddies within said organization to post. B) leave because they get challenged by individuals here and can’t/won’t refute any of their own claims or the concerns folks here generally have about the profession.

It’s not as if any of them get banned or silenced. We have very pro podiatry people here who have had nothing but rainbows and butterflies in their career. Nobody ran DYK off when he would disagree with most of us on the job outlook/opportunities out of residency. People disagreed and he continues to contribute. Nobody ran off LCR as much as Feli would like to see it happen.

Any echo chamber that might exist here is two fold in my opinion. One, many of the complaints or issues folks here have with podiatry are so common that a majority of posters have experienced them or watched close friends and colleagues experience h them. i.e. they are real problems and valid criticisms. And two, the people who have come on with opposing views and subsequently left have been mostly unable to defend their positions when questioned or challenged. Which goes back to the first reason…

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Nobody is ever “run off” here though. They either A) have no intention of sticking around and discussing because they were ordered or asked by their organization leadership or buddies within said organization to post. B) leave because they get challenged by individuals here and can’t/won’t refute any of their own claims or the concerns folks here generally have about the profession.

It’s not as if any of them get banned or silenced. We have very pro podiatry people here who have had nothing but rainbows and butterflies in their career. Nobody ran DYK off when he would disagree with most of us on the job outlook/opportunities out of residency. People disagreed and he continues to contribute. Nobody ran off LCR as much as Feli would like to see it happen.

Any echo chamber that might exist here is two fold in my opinion. One, many of the complaints or issues folks here have with podiatry are so common that a majority of posters have experienced them or watched close friends and colleagues experience h them. i.e. they are real problems and valid criticisms. And two, the people who have come on with opposing views and subsequently left have been mostly unable to defend their positions when questioned or challenged. Which goes back to the first reason…
You’re my favorite realistic poster on here. Just sayin. Podometry man crush.

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 3 users

LCR would never leave. He loves it here.

• Haha
Members don't see this ad :)
Barry block was like the original Newsletter guy.....now you have all the PE/RE/Car Wash/Storage chads with newsletters....

After years of lurking, I guess it's time for me to put in my 2 cents.

I graduated Pod school in 2009 and residency in 2012. I've been extremely lucky in my career. First of all, I'm the son of a podiatrist which allowed me to to own a practice 5 years after residency.

I also have the privilege of having two older siblings who are doctors (DO hospitalist and MD ortho hand).

All three recommended I go to podiatry school for the obvious reasons of being able to take over the practice.

I was a bit disappointed with podiatry school. I felt like there were definitely people that were accepted who had no business being there. It was obvious that the school just wanted their tuition money. Speaking of tuition, it was about 20k a year at 2005-2009. I see it is about 40k now. I'm very grateful most of this was paid for by my future employer (dad) and I only took out the maximum subsidized loans at the time. I graduated pod school with like 30k or so in debt.

My dad was very involved in the APMA. I knew that he only had a one year residency and obviously did pretty well being able to put 4 kids through college and 3 through med school. I assumed during podiatry school that now that all residencies are 3 years, any residency would be able to teach me all aspects of the lower extremity in 3 years. After all, the internists learn the whole body in the same amount of time.

I mainly chose residencies based on location because, why not? They are all 3 years now. They can surely teach all aspects of the LE. This assumption was the biggest regret of my life. There are obvious differences in quality of residencies. Way more than there should be.

Even though I messed that up, I was still able to match with a pretty good program that did train me very well. However, if I didn't match with them, it could have been rough.

I voted that I"m satisfied withe the decision to become a podiatrist but I have significant reservations for anyone who is currently on the fence about joining the profession.

They are the same that have been listed on here countless times.
-Debt (I could not imagine having 300k or so in debt and not having a podiatry job set up after residency) If you are truly considering taking out that amount of money without any promise of job, please don't.​
-Job market- We are living in the world of information. Just google podiatry jobs. It's not hard to see what is out there. There isn't much. Every now and then I apply for a job even though there is essentially no chance I would ever leave my current position. But I've never gotten a response. I"m ABFAS BC in foot not RF.​
-Job flexibility- Basically the same thing as job market. If I lose my job today can I get another one somewhere? I certainly won't be making the same amount of money. For those interested I do about 350k/year plus I have ancillary income from a surgery center (did I mention my ortho brother). I also married a now VP of marketing for a large corp (non medical).​
-Saturation- It's obvious that we are turning out way too many podiatrists. We are making way too many foot and ankle surgeons than the market demands. In my area much more recent grads are coming than old ones are retiring. Speaking of retirement, there are atleast 3 pods in my area who are practicing that are over 65. So these guys graduated in early 80's (podiatry golden years) but are still practicing with no plan to retire. I know because I've asked if they would be interested in buyouts of their practice and they have told me they have no plan to retire soon.​
So again, I do well. Probably better than 95% or so because I was fortunate enough to be able to graduate with little to no debt, be owner of a practice within 5 years post residency, have the ability to own shares at a surgery center, and have a wife that is killing it.​
I have three young children. At this point, I would not recommend podiatry to any of them. If they don't really have a career that they are truly passionate about, I would push them towards nursing/ICU/CRNA. This pathway has a lot more opportunities. If they decide they want to become an ARNP in an area of medicine that interests them, then they can. If they decide they want to become a future CEO of a hospital, then they can do that as well etc.​
Also, just go to gaswork.com and check out the CRNA positions. They are plentiful and one is currently starting at 300k and 9 weeks paid vacation. Also, It's only 3 years post grad schooling and the tuition is cheaper. This does not compare at all to the current podiatry job market and I don't see the podiatry market getting any better with the addition of the new school.​
So anyway, those are my 2 cents. Take it for what its worth. Basically, I'm doing great because I was lucky. I don't know if the next person will be as fortunate as me.​

• Love
Reactions: 16 users
-Saturation- It's obvious that we are turning out way too many podiatrists. We are making way too many foot and ankle surgeons than the market demands. In my area much more recent grads are coming than old ones are retiring. Speaking of retirement, there are atleast 3 pods in my area who are practicing that are over 65. So these guys graduated in early 80's (podiatry golden years) but are still practicing with no plan to retire. I know because I've asked if they would be interested in buyouts of their practice and they have told me they have no plan to retire soon.​
Season 6 Slow Clap GIF by The Office

Good post.

I would still be 100% pro podiatry had they not opened 2 new schools.

Good jobs are there. Its not on any level playing field with MD/DO but neither are our entrance statistics.

Almost all posters on here make a good living and are successful. Since being out 6 years I have grossed 2.1 million. Thats a lot of cash and a lot of posters are making the same.

Its a rocky road but podiatry works out for most in the end.

But with two new schools the markets will be so saturated that this is going to be a death spiral for the profession.

Dumbest thing in the world allowing these schools to open. They put a moratorium out on new schools after Western opened and crushed the residency match rate. They should have done the same after Harkless "the father of podiatry" opened yet another school in Texas.

Its going to be a disaster. The only saving grace is the younger generation can see this happeneing and are passing on the podiatry degree. Im not sure the total enrollment but I heard 50% classes filled. The market doesnt support adding a 1-2 hundread additional grads into the mix.

I would not let my kid go into podiatry at this point. Its a disaster waiting to happen.

I would still be 100% pro podiatry had they not opened 2 new schools.

Good jobs are there. Its not on any level playing field with MD/DO but neither are our entrance statistics.

Almost all posters on here make a good living and are successful. Since being out 6 years I have grossed 2.1 million. Thats a lot of cash and a lot of posters are making the same.

Its a rocky road but podiatry works out for most in the end.

But with two new schools the markets will be so saturated that this is going to be a death spiral for the profession.

Dumbest thing in the world allowing these schools to open. They put a moratorium out on new schools after Western opened and crushed the residency match rate. They should have done the same after Harkless "the father of podiatry" opened yet another school in Texas.

Its going to be a disaster. The only saving grace is the younger generation can see this happeneing and are passing on the podiatry degree. Im not sure the total enrollment but I heard 50% classes filled. The market doesnt support adding a 1-2 hundread additional grads into the mix.

I would not let my kid go into podiatry at this point. Its a disaster waiting to happen.
They opened up 2 new schools but it seems like the amount of overall students is either the same or has gone down which also supports the idea that we do not need to be opening up these schools. When a new school opens up, enrollment should go up as well but enrollment has been decreasing because the writing is on the wall.

I know at TUSPM they would have upwards of 80-90 sometimes over 100 per class but in recent years it’s dropped down below 80 and if I’m not mistaken the most recent class they took is in the 50s…(or so I’ve heard)

I know at TUSPM they would have upwards of 80-90 sometimes over 100 per class but in recent years it’s dropped down below 80 and if I’m not mistaken the most recent class they took is in the 50s…(or so I’ve heard)
When I started at schooI think we had at or around 100 students, but we ended with around 80. I'll be interested to see if they start with 80 or 50 and drop 20% still or if the current attendance reckoning is weeding out the weak students from the get-go.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
When I started at TUSPM I think we had at or around 100 students, but we ended with around 80. I'll be interested to see if they start with 80 or 50 and drop 20% still or if the current attendance reckoning is weeding out the weak students from the get-go.
I would say quite the opposite... the smarter ppl will consider ROI, other options, career trajectory. They will be likely to sidestep podiatry.

The last minute knee-jerk lower end apps are the ones that will continue to fill seats. (See: thread of people accepted to Lecom podiatry two months before classes start with no podiatry shadowing exp)

...The question is if schools will still have fair standards and fail ppl once classes are smaller and total tuition collection is less. With lower end admission standards, attrition should be higher, but that is up to pod schools. Boards should be an indicator (hopefully).

I feel like it was only a few years ago that the Dean of Temple was boasting that they were filling every seat, no one else was, and that those student spots should be alloted to Temple.

Reactions: 1 user
When I started at TUSPM I think we had at or around 100 students, but we ended with around 80. I'll be interested to see if they start with 80 or 50 and drop 20% still or if the current attendance reckoning is weeding out the weak students from the get-go.
hmm that’s a good point. i feel like regardless you’re going to have a drop in attendance since podiatry schools at this point will take anyone with a pulse so those students will be around regardless.

i’d also bet that the quality of their applicants has decreased anyways since applicants have more options now. for example, why would a texas native with pretty good stats go to tuspm when they can go to the texas school? in the past that texas native would have prob ended up at tuspm (or somewhere else) but you get where i’m going with this.

My bet is tuspm will be graduating a class of less than 40 very soon.

After years of lurking, I guess it's time for me to put in my 2 cents.

I graduated Pod school in 2009 and residency in 2012. I've been extremely lucky in my career. First of all, I'm the son of a podiatrist which allowed me to to own a practice 5 years after residency.

I also have the privilege of having two older siblings who are doctors (DO hospitalist and MD ortho hand).

All three recommended I go to podiatry school for the obvious reasons of being able to take over the practice.

I was a bit disappointed with podiatry school. I felt like there were definitely people that were accepted who had no business being there. It was obvious that the school just wanted their tuition money. Speaking of tuition, it was about 20k a year at 2005-2009. I see it is about 40k now. I'm very grateful most of this was paid for by my future employer (dad) and I only took out the maximum subsidized loans at the time. I graduated pod school with like 30k or so in debt.

My dad was very involved in the APMA. I knew that he only had a one year residency and obviously did pretty well being able to put 4 kids through college and 3 through med school. I assumed during podiatry school that now that all residencies are 3 years, any residency would be able to teach me all aspects of the lower extremity in 3 years. After all, the internists learn the whole body in the same amount of time.

I mainly chose residencies based on location because, why not? They are all 3 years now. They can surely teach all aspects of the LE. This assumption was the biggest regret of my life. There are obvious differences in quality of residencies. Way more than there should be.

Even though I messed that up, I was still able to match with a pretty good program that did train me very well. However, if I didn't match with them, it could have been rough.

I voted that I"m satisfied withe the decision to become a podiatrist but I have significant reservations for anyone who is currently on the fence about joining the profession.

They are the same that have been listed on here countless times.
-Debt (I could not imagine having 300k or so in debt and not having a podiatry job set up after residency) If you are truly considering taking out that amount of money without any promise of job, please don't.​
-Job market- We are living in the world of information. Just google podiatry jobs. It's not hard to see what is out there. There isn't much. Every now and then I apply for a job even though there is essentially no chance I would ever leave my current position. But I've never gotten a response. I"m ABFAS BC in foot not RF.​
-Job flexibility- Basically the same thing as job market. If I lose my job today can I get another one somewhere? I certainly won't be making the same amount of money. For those interested I do about 350k/year plus I have ancillary income from a surgery center (did I mention my ortho brother). I also married a now VP of marketing for a large corp (non medical).​
So again, I do well. Probably better than 95% or so because I was fortunate enough to be able to graduate with little to no debt, be owner of a practice within 5 years post residency, have the ability to own shares at a surgery center, and have a wife that is killing it.​
I have three young children. At this point, I would not recommend podiatry to any of them. If they don't really have a career that they are truly passionate about, I would push them towards nursing/ICU/CRNA. This pathway has a lot more opportunities. If they decide they want to become an ARNP in an area of medicine that interests them, then they can. If they decide they want to become a future CEO of a hospital, then they can do that as well etc.​
Also, just go to gaswork.com and check out the CRNA positions. They are plentiful and one is currently starting at 300k and 9 weeks paid vacation. Also, It's only 3 years post grad schooling and the tuition is cheaper. This does not compare at all to the current podiatry job market and I don't see the podiatry market getting any better with the addition of the new school.​
So anyway, those are my 2 cents. Take it for what its worth. Basically, I'm doing great because I was lucky. I don't know if the next person will be as fortunate as me.​

A major take home message from the above excellent post is below. I am sure this is in regards to respectable jobs.

"Every now and then I apply for a job even though there is essentially no chance I would ever leave my current position. But I've never gotten a response. I"m ABFAS BC in foot not RF."

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For what it’s worth, I’m a Texas native who went to TUSPM and would probably do the same if I had that choice today. The Rio Grande Valley is a horrible place to spend your prime years of your late 20’s/early 30’s.

If they’d put the school in any metro area in Texas, I’d have chosen that in a heartbeat though.
for some reason i’ve heard about the texas school coming yet this whole time thought it was in a major metro like Dallas/Fort Worth

Of course it’s in the rio grande valley because podiatry

• Haha
Let’s not forget the schools accept and prey on underachieving students who have no business treating patients in the real world who still have irrational dreams of being a “doctor”. Everyone knows of students like this. Either they failed in school or made it through residency with no real job prospects. With the applicant pool so poor this will become more pervasive. It’s clear from the poor quality of recent graduates. Filtering candidates is the literal job of schools and they have setup students for failure.

Reactions: 4 users
for some reason i’ve heard about the texas school coming yet this whole time thought it was in a major metro like Dallas/Fort Worth

Of course it’s in the rio grande valley because podiatry
New SDN motto...Because Podiatry

• Haha
Nope. Closest metro area is San Antonio, 3.5 hours away. Nothing to do down there but have babies and eat too much good Mexican food to become the obese patient you are treating.

Tried to post a pic but can’t get it to work, but you can get basically a mansion in border land Texas for under 400k. Even if you’re an associate you’d be living large

Google longshoreman jobs in Cali....200k working 38 hrs a week. 60k pension. Longshoremen making 300k.

Anyone going to pod school now taking on this debt is a *****. All of us w2 employees....guess what happens when you stop working? Money stops hope you saved/invested well.

If I was below 30 35 and no family or at least no kids would go into trades with business ownership in mind. HVAC or plumbing. Goal is to own your own thing in 3 years. Then start expanding. Not only are you bringing home more than a pod you are building something you can sell. Answer the phone, be reliable, do a good job and you will kill it doing this. Or you maybe hope to make 290k in a hospital job but likely in a place you have no desire to live long term (ask me how I know).

Reactions: 4 users
...If I was below 30 35 and no family or at least no kids would go into trades with business ownership in mind. HVAC or plumbing. Goal is to own your own thing in 3 years. Then start expanding. Not only are you bringing home more than a pod you are building something you can sell. Answer the phone, be reliable, do a good job and you will kill it doing this. ...
I had a pt this week who is a foreman working at the nearby govt lab ask me while I was doing his ingrown procedure if I knew any contractors or skilled tradesmen who might want to work on his crew. The guy is in his late 20s and probably getting about 200k with bennies... his crew get six figures and most prob not much less than him depending on their skill set. He said some stay awhile, but most leave to start their own gig. As if his making average DPM money even though he's not old enough to have done DPM + residency isn't enough, I asked him if he went to school for a bit or just apprenticed... the latter.

I went home that day, and my girl had called a few electricians to look at a light fixture I'd shorted out trying to change. She said most didn't call back at all, and one wanted $600 minimum (two hours) to come look at it.

Reactions: 2 users
I had a pt this week who is a foreman working at the nearby govt lab ask me while I was doing his ingrown procedure if I knew any contractors or skilled tradesmen who might want to work on his crew. The guy is in his late 20s and probably getting about 200k with bennies... his crew get six figures and most prob not much less than him depending on their skill set. He said some stay awhile, but most leave to start their own gig. As if his making average DPM money even though he's not old enough to have done DPM + residency isn't enough, I asked him if he went to school for a bit or just apprenticed... the latter.

I went home that day, and my girl had called a few electricians to look at a light fixture I'd shorted out trying to change. She said most didn't call back at all, and one wanted $600 minimum (two hours) to come look at it.
Hey you know that city you want to move to that has no employed jobs because Ortho is too powerful and there is oversaturation of pods with terrible associate mills.....they need plumbers HVAC.

Have some control of your future and life trajectory...ie don't be a podiatrist. Or be a podiatrist and make it work within the guard rails placed upon us. It can work for some that's for sure.

• Haha
Google longshoreman jobs in Cali....200k working 38 hrs a week. 60k pension. Longshoremen making 300k.

Anyone going to pod school now taking on this debt is a *****. All of us w2 employees....guess what happens when you stop working? Money stops hope you saved/invested well.

If I was below 30 35 and no family or at least no kids would go into trades with business ownership in mind. HVAC or plumbing. Goal is to own your own thing in 3 years. Then start expanding. Not only are you bringing home more than a pod you are building something you can sell. Answer the phone, be reliable, do a good job and you will kill it doing this. Or you maybe hope to make 290k in a hospital job but likely in a place you have no desire to live long term (ask me how I know).

Plus you get to drive a cool lifted truck and getting paid more to do a 1-2 hour job than to do a TAR

For what it’s worth, I’m a Texas native who went to TUSPM and would probably do the same if I had that choice today. The Rio Grande Valley is a horrible place to spend your prime years of your late 20’s/early 30’s.

If they’d put the school in any metro area in Texas, I’d have chosen that in a heartbeat though.

The Texas pod school is so cheap though, makes it by default a better ROI no? What’s so bad about that area?

If they’d put the school in any metro area in Texas, I’d have chosen that in in a heartbeat though.
Boba Foot parents were so happy that he has has agreed to attend podiatry school in the new Beaumont-Port Arthur Metro area podiatry school :)

He'll be doing his residency in either Lufkin or Victoria.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Have a feeling we prob know each other lol