Podiatry in general?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rwebster23

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I' ve been recently thinking of podiatry and want to know more about it as a career path. I would like to go into a field of medicine which is non-invasive. Is podiatry a good choice for that scope of practice? Do all podiatrists perform surgery? I also like the idea that podiatrists are accepted in the medical community where as chiropractors, etc. are not.
Any comments would be helpful.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Not all pods do surgery. However since the residency programs changed last year and are continuing to change almost everyone out of pod school will do a surgical residnecy in order to get lisensed (sp?).

I think Hawaii is one of the only states left that does not require a residency to practice.

There are orthopedic pods out there but even they do surgery just like orthopods that are MDs do surgery.

There are also primary care pods that do corns, calluses, cutting nails, wound care, dermatology...

in any subspecialty of podiatry there may be cases for surgery though. You can always refer patients that need surgery to some one else....