Pod School Summer Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phpodguy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm very interested in podiatry, and I've seen that many of the pod schools have summer/pre-prof. programs. I've done a search for this topic on these boards and couldn't find anything, so I apologize if someone's already asked.

Are any of these summer/pre-prof. programs good or worthwhile to take if you know you want to attend podiatry school? (For ex. nycpm's pre-matriculation, tuspm's internship program, or ocpm's pre-professional internship program.) Did any programs change your mind about the school or are there people who did a program at one school but matriculated at another? (Also, are any not truly representative of the school?)

Also, on a completely different subject, what's the deal w/nycpm's January entrance option? Has anyone done it or was it worth it? Is it like doing school p/t for half a year or are people allowed to fit in more classes than the september class? Do any other schools have this type of entrance? Just curious. :) Thanks for any info.! :D

Members don't see this ad.

phpodguy said:
I'm very interested in podiatry, and I've seen that many of the pod schools have summer/pre-prof. programs. I've done a search for this topic on these boards and couldn't find anything, so I apologize if someone's already asked.

Are any of these summer/pre-prof. programs good or worthwhile to take if you know you want to attend podiatry school? (For ex. nycpm's pre-matriculation, tuspm's internship program, or ocpm's pre-professional internship program.) Did any programs change your mind about the school or are there people who did a program at one school but matriculated at another? (Also, are any not truly representative of the school?)

Also, on a completely different subject, what's the deal w/nycpm's January entrance option? Has anyone done it or was it worth it? Is it like doing school p/t for half a year or are people allowed to fit in more classes than the september class? Do any other schools have this type of entrance? Just curious. :) Thanks for any info.! :D

NYCPM's pre-matric classes introduces you to some classes that you'll take first semester. it is basically the same info that you'll get for the 1st tests.

You'll also do some shaowing in the clinic to see what podiatry at NYCPM is like.

The January class - if you start this Jan 2007 - you'll be with the class of 2010 that will have just started this sept 2006. You'll take about 1/2 the classes they take and then 1 or 2 classes in the summer with the class of 2010 then you'll take classes (minus 1 class) with the class of 2011 (your real class) and then the 2nd January you'll take the other 1/2 of the classes with 2011. Then you'll be a 2nd year and take the rest of the summer classes with 2011 and then take the normal schedule with the 2011 class.

I know it sounds confusing. It is hard to explain.

I think it is NYCPM's way of getting students who want graduate early or late 1/2 year. Since none of the other schools do it it allows NYCPM to suck you in.

Remember that you will also have to pay for living expenses for a half year more since the January program takes 4.5 years.

If you have anymore questions about NYCPM feel free to ask or PM me.

CPMS has a "extended studies" program. It is basically the 1st year stretch out over two years. No summer work though, I think that professors like their summers off to do research.

Personally, if you can get it done in 4 years not 5.

Members don't see this ad :)
Make sure you get to talk to a bunch of students without the baby sitter screening your calls.

krabmas said:
NYCPM's pre-matric classes introduces you to some classes that you'll take first semester. it is basically the same info that you'll get for the 1st tests.

You'll also do some shaowing in the clinic to see what podiatry at NYCPM is like.

The January class - if you start this Jan 2007 - you'll be with the class of 2010 that will have just started this sept 2006. You'll take about 1/2 the classes they take and then 1 or 2 classes in the summer with the class of 2010 then you'll take classes (minus 1 class) with the class of 2011 (your real class) and then the 2nd January you'll take the other 1/2 of the classes with 2011. Then you'll be a 2nd year and take the rest of the summer classes with 2011 and then take the normal schedule with the 2011 class.

I know it sounds confusing. It is hard to explain.

I think it is NYCPM's way of getting students who want graduate early or late 1/2 year. Since none of the other schools do it it allows NYCPM to suck you in.

Remember that you will also have to pay for living expenses for a half year more since the January program takes 4.5 years.

If you have anymore questions about NYCPM feel free to ask or PM me.

Thanks for the info, krabmas! I read in the NYCPM's brochure that they had something called the International Program. Can you explain it a little more? Is it like studying abroad and covered by fin. aid or is it a separate program from the school itself? Do you know anyone who's done that or is it any good? Are there similar programs at other schools?

I do agree with Whiskers that its important to talk to students to get the full scope (and a truer perspective) of a program. To anyone who feels like responding, what are the student populations like at the different schools (more approachable vs. super competitive/cutthroat, etc...)?

CPMS is very friendly. Most of the people are really generous with their study guides and assisting others who need help. You'll know everyone in your class by name. We have class parties and hang out together outside of school. We have gunners who work hard to get good grades, but they are more than willing to help anyone in need. We have the same relationship with our professor and clinicians. If you come to visit, they kind words and attitudes are not fake; the students and staff are just that nice.

Yes, I would talk to students. I think Whiskers is trying to say, talk to students who are not ambassadors or anyone who works in admissions. They may not be as honest as a regular Joe or Jane.

phpodguy said:
Thanks for the info, krabmas! I read in the NYCPM's brochure that they had something called the International Program. Can you explain it a little more? Is it like studying abroad and covered by fin. aid or is it a separate program from the school itself? Do you know anyone who's done that or is it any good? Are there similar programs at other schools?

I do agree with Whiskers that its important to talk to students to get the full scope (and a truer perspective) of a program. To anyone who feels like responding, what are the student populations like at the different schools (more approachable vs. super competitive/cutthroat, etc...)?

I am an ambassardor (to feelgood) but I still tell the truth. And people still come to NYCPM - I just don't understand. :confused:

NYCPM seems to work as an every other class sort of thing. Every other class gets along with their respectiv class. My class is good. the classes above and below do not get along with each other so well.

With my class - most people are willing to share notes and info but in any class there will always be people that hide info and they are usually the people that are not at the top.

The top students are usually the ones that are willing to share their knowledge because it is a great way to study - if you can explain something to some one else then you must know it.

The international program should not be in the brochure anymore. If this is the MD program that was cancelled.

If it is about the spanish (from spain)students - they come to NYCPM for skills labs for about 2 weeks in the year.

If it is about the Canadian students from the new canadian pod school - they will be rotating thru the clinic for several weeks starting next year.

krabmas said:
I am an ambassardor (to feelgood) but I still tell the truth. And people still come to NYCPM - I just don't understand. :confused:/QUOTE]

I am an ambassador also. At least as DMU, we are told if we can't say anything positive don't saying anything. Most the time this is more about if pre-pods ask about other schools, we are told to have them visit all of the schools and get their own impression. Good advice though.

I was more referring to Whisker's post than anything else. I was not insulting anyone who is an ambassador.

Dr_Feelgood said:
krabmas said:
I am an ambassardor (to feelgood) but I still tell the truth. And people still come to NYCPM - I just don't understand. :confused:/QUOTE]

I am an ambassador also. At least as DMU, we are told if we can't say anything positive don't saying anything. Most the time this is more about if pre-pods ask about other schools, we are told to have them visit all of the schools and get their own impression. Good advice though.

I was more referring to Whisker's post than anything else. I was not insulting anyone who is an ambassador.

I did not take offense. we are told the same thing - not to say anything bad about other schools.

Dr_Feelgood said:
CPMS is very friendly. Most of the people are really generous with their study guides and assisting others who need help. You'll know everyone in your class by name. We have class parties and hang out together outside of school. We have gunners who work hard to get good grades, but they are more than willing to help anyone in need. We have the same relationship with our professor and clinicians. If you come to visit, they kind words and attitudes are not fake; the students and staff are just that nice.

Yes, I would talk to students. I think Whiskers is trying to say, talk to students who are not ambassadors or anyone who works in admissions. They may not be as honest as a regular Joe or Jane.

I would have to agree with this. I think our class is pretty tight and I have never seen anyone hold back info or who is not willing to help out others. The clinicians and faculty are awesome too.