PM&R Programs for Sports Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

klumpke

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All!

I was wondering if there were specific group of PM&R residency programs that were known to provide the best Sports Medicine exposure/provide the best chances at matching a good Sports Medicine fellowship?

Also- does there happen to be a list of Sports Medicine fellowships listed by reputation? Im just sort of trying to get a feel of where/what even makes up good Sports Medicine fellowships.

Thanks for your guys help!

Members don't see this ad.

If you are interested in sports medicine, typically PM&R residency programs that also have sports medicine fellowships are ones that will give you good exposure, such as Mayo Clinic, UPMC, Columbia, Spaulding, Stanford, UC Davis, Georgetown, Emory, Washington, Wash U at St. Louis, Utah, etc... (I apologize if I forgot any big ones here).

Also, if you explore different PM&R programs, look at their rotations offered, and see how "heavy" outpatient vs. inpatient they are, typically you would want ones that have (1) dedicated sports medicine rotations, (2) musculoskeletal rotations, (3) ultrasound rotations, etc. as well as one which is more "outpatient" heavy, meaning that outside of the 12 months inpatient and 12 months outpatient basically required at each program, that the other 12 months leans (or could lean due to electives) more heavily outpatient.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi All!

I was wondering if there were specific group of PM&R residency programs that were known to provide the best Sports Medicine exposure/provide the best chances at matching a good Sports Medicine fellowship?

Also- does there happen to be a list of Sports Medicine fellowships listed by reputation? Im just sort of trying to get a feel of where/what even makes up good Sports Medicine fellowships.

Thanks for your guys help!
At Mayo the question isn’t whether it has good Sports exposure, or whether you’re competitive for Sports fellowship. The question is whether or not a Sports Fellowship is even necessary.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
As others mentioned, if the program has a fellowship, then they probably have good sports experience.

The question you need to ask, though, is what you want to do with a fellowship. Every program has its strengths and weaknesses. Collegiate/professional sports coverage varies as well. Big names may mean you are hands-off, while smaller schools mean you have a more prominent role. Some programs have great ultrasound but weak fluoro. Some may have minimal sports coverage but exceptional procedures. True gem programs have everything, but even then, there is give and take.

Reactions: 3 users